PDA

View Full Version : Hard pipes

Kieran
13-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Alright gang.... I have another question for yous - especially those of you who have done complete custom pipework!

How have you mounted the pipes onto the standard turbos? The reason I ask is that the standard setup uses hard pipes that have a silicone 'o' ring and a bolt that secures the hard pipe to the turbocharger outlet nozzle. How have any of you got around this?

bradc
13-08-2006, 08:48 PM
As I'm sure you're aware Kieran, my engine bay piping is being redone, the pipes that come off the turbos with the o-rings are staying there, as is the Y pipe that joins the two turbos together. The Y pipe is apparently very good and there is no need to replace it. The inside of the Y part has been smoothed out a little bit, and the end has been matched to the pipe that goes down to the intercooler. All the other pipes have been changed and it looks beautiful.

Kieran
13-08-2006, 09:40 PM
.....The Y pipe is apparently very good and there is no need to replace it. The inside of the Y part has been smoothed out a little bit, and the end has been matched to the pipe that goes down to the intercooler.

That's interesting.... when Marcus did some tests, the Y-pipe was the most restrictive part of the intake - have a looky here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11330

bradc
14-08-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm not talking about the intake though. Go to my gallery and have a look at the pics, the whole intake setup is completely thrown away because it is really really restrictive. You get more gas flow through an ant's arse. I'm talking about the Y that is one top of the engine close to the water res.

Kieran
14-08-2006, 06:36 AM
I'm not talking about the intake though. Go to my gallery and have a look at the pics, the whole intake setup is completely thrown away because it is really really restrictive. You get more gas flow through an ant's arse. I'm talking about the Y that is one top of the engine close to the water res.

Aaaahhh! Sorry - I'm with ya - Marcus is on about the plastic Y-piece that's behind the airbox, isn't he?

bradc
14-08-2006, 07:44 AM
yeah. The pipes after the MAF to the back turbo isn't that bad, but from the MAF to the front turbo is absolutely terrible, it changes shape quite a few times and is very thin and narrow in a few places.