PDA

View Full Version : Bmc Cda fitted

Paul C
18-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Fitted the bmc cda today. I was that eager i even did it in the rain.I ordered the kit for the 2.5 v6 model expecting all the correct bracket work. But as uauall with this filter its the wrong type. Any how that didn't stop me fitting it.For future reference all you need is the universal fit filter cda85-150.There is a hks adapter that can be used but as didn't have one i chose a different route.
First take off the air flow sensor and tale out old filter.There is a bit that sticks out on the airflow sensor that requires prising off.Leave the grid in place as this straightens the airflow.

Then you need to take the engine side plate off the filter.easily done about 5 screws.Cut off the connecting piece so that the face is flush.The goes flat against the afm.Line up both pieces and drill through the filter plate to match up with afm fixing holes.secure using 6mm bolts about 40mm long.

I used some clear silicon when joinin to make a perfect seal and to be honest there is a slight gap that requires just a bit of filling.

Once done i put filter back together. May be worth allowing silicon to go off. I didn't have time.

installing is straight forward, the battery tray needs modifying as this is just a case of cutting the plastic side with a saw.

secure the filter with bracket provided to existing fixing on wheel arch and fit cold air feed.

Haven't had chance to fully test it but had quick spin round the block and seems to work well.will let you know how it goes.have to get ready for work, dam 2-10 shift.

Paul Beazer
18-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Is this just a replacement aftermarket airfilter? Be interested to know how it performs compared the std panel filter.

Paul C
18-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Is this just a replacement aftermarket airfilter? Be interested to know how it performs compared the std panel filter.

basically yes,took about 1hr 30 mins to install.

BraindG
18-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Looks like a good Job Paul..

Considered getting a Air Feed from the Bumper?

pezza
18-08-2006, 04:03 PM
I was running with the same filter / induction for about 9 months...

At standard boost it was good... it pulled really well. But when boost controller
was installed I got massive boost/fuel cut issues and it was difficult to use a boost controller setting that didn't cause problems esp in the colder months and fuel consumption went through the floor. It was explained to me that the readings the MAF took from the change (increase) in air flow meant it just pumped in way more fuel than before.

I got used to driving with it but was strongly advised to switch back to standard airbox and panel filter when I had a dyno run. Switching back with boost controller
still installed provided a much better response across rev range and fuel cut was gone! I guess the standard box makes the car run a bit leaner...

Its a shame I did not have any means of measuring AFRs when this was installed

Will be interesting to see how it changes your cars performance...

Paul C
18-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Looks like a good Job Paul..

Considered getting a Air Feed from the Bumper?

I will look into this didin't really have much time earlier to experiment.

pezza i will have to see how goes mate, hopefully i wont get any issue's. i haven't got a boost controller installed so shouldn't get any problems there. I've done about 30miles round trip to work and back and accelleration seems to pick up well no hesitations or signs of fuel cut. I will monitor fuel consumption but its usually rubbish anyway.

Paul C
23-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I've had the cda a few days now and used a tank of petrol (about 200miles done). I've had no running issues as present and still have good pick up. I have made one change which is to rediect the coldair feed through the standard intake feed to see if it gives better airflow.I will report back on any findings but i really need to get it on a rolling road to see any true difference.