PDA

View Full Version : Hello people

Fil
18-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi all,

I know most of you guys are flying round in V6 turbo'd Galants/ Legnums, but I aspire to something a little more humble :tiny:
I'm on the lookout for a 2 litre Galant Estate to lug the family round in so I thought I'd better get on here to start with.

I have a stage 2 S13 200SX as my weekend toy, and my wife has a 1999 1.6 Colt GLX, but it's a bit small for lugging all the baby stuff around in.

After much deliberation, I reckon that a nice 2.0 manual Galant Estate would be a better car for my other half to use if we get rid of the Colt.
I love my Jap cars, and I like the look of the 1997 onwards Galants. They also seem to be a lot of car for the money.

So there you go! That's how I ended up here :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed that I can find a good one in the near future (do they come up for sale very often on here??)

Bye for now

Rikki
18-08-2006, 03:53 PM
/Welcome2

I dont know about 2.0 estates on sale within the club, but someone will know where there is. Tried autotrader? there are a few there. :D

EDIT// search for GLS! :D

richy rich
18-08-2006, 03:56 PM
/Welcome

you have good taste.

the 2.0l don't come up for sale on here very often but the 2.5 v6's do.

have a look in the for sale section.

Fil
18-08-2006, 04:02 PM
the 2.0l don't come up for sale on here very often but the 2.5 v6's do.

have a look in the for sale section.

I would rather have a V6, but I think the MPG would be a bit of a drain as my wife will be driving it most of the time (plus I'm not sure she's safe to be let loose in a 2.5 V6! She's bad enough in her little Colt :smash:).
Manual V6s seem to be even more rare than the manual 2.0l...

What's a realistic MPG for the 2.5?

Rikki
18-08-2006, 05:32 PM
I would rather have a V6, but I think the MPG would be a bit of a drain as my wife will be driving it most of the time (plus I'm not sure she's safe to be let loose in a 2.5 V6! She's bad enough in her little Colt :smash:).
Manual V6s seem to be even more rare than the manual 2.0l...

I owned a 2.0 for 2 years and now have the V6 - I can honestly say there is not a huge difference between the mpg! i was getting about 380-400 miles out a full tank in the 2.0, and i am currently getting about 350-370 in the V6!

V6 is better though :D

Lillywotsername
18-08-2006, 05:36 PM
/Welcome2 /Welcome2 /Welcome2 /Welcome2 /Welcome2

MPBVr4
18-08-2006, 05:59 PM
I owned a 2.0 for 2 years and now have the V6 - I can honestly say there is not a huge difference between the mpg! i was getting about 380-400 miles out a full tank in the 2.0, and i am currently getting about 350-370 in the V6!

V6 is better though :D

I have to agree a bigger engine in fairly large car will be more efficient than
a 2 litre one. I used to get 34 - 36 mpg out my V6-24 on a run

Anyway welcome to the club mate/Welcome

Spirit
18-08-2006, 06:38 PM
/Welcome - good luck in your hunt for the Estate.

An idea might be to see if you can get a test drive in both so you can see the difference, I think you might plump for the V6 if you do

bradc
18-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Welcome!

Legnum's are a fairly heavy car, the 2.0's are a little bit underpowered and you will always seem to be flooring it just to get the thing moving :) I really would recommend the V6, and as the guys above said, they don't use much more petrol.

MGV6
18-08-2006, 09:20 PM

28-29mpg in combined mode

Kieran
18-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Hello! A former 2.0 GLS and a V6 Sport owner here. /Wyhy /Welcome

There was very little difference between my GLS and my V6 in terms of MPG too, however you must bear in mind that my GLS was an automatic, where as the V6 was a manual.

The Mighty GLS did about ~29MPG whereas the V6 was around ~27MPG.

Personally, I think the GLS is the better car. It is more economical, it's cheaper to service (and not such an arse to work on if things do go wrong) and the FWD chassis can cope with the power better. I found the V6-24 to be a tyre-shredding device at times - but it was MUCH quicker.

Put it this way.... As a 'cruiser', the GLS (for me) bettered the V6. But that's just IMHO.

Enjoy, whatever you purchase.

/Oh, and I bet your Nissan is bloody quick! still on the CA18? What spec is it?

Nick Mann
18-08-2006, 09:28 PM
I don't think I ever saw less than 28 mpg in my V6's. Over 30 was more common, up to 35 when driven on a run. (Still not gently!) The 2.0l is not much better than the V6 on consumption. Most Galant reviews will tell you to go for the V6.

Enjoy your search for the right car - whatever you go for.

ritch_w
18-08-2006, 09:58 PM
never had a 2.0, but have had a v6 auto and a v6 manual,

v6 auto always averaged around 29mpg, v6 manual 29 - 35mpg and it was thrashed (always) /Devil5

dont know if this makes any difference to economy, but the v6 auto i had was a sport with 17" alloys and the V6 manual was a v6-24 with 15" alloys :inquisiti

Fil
21-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the replies guys - I'm still looking.
I have to say I would be tempted by a V6, but my head says that the 2.0 is the one I should buy as it will be the family run-about, and I don't want to have to spend a lot of money keeping it in good shape.

Fil
21-09-2006, 03:12 PM
/Oh, and I bet your Nissan is bloody quick! still on the CA18? What spec is it?

Still on the CA18 mate. It's got a GT28R bb turbo, uprated fuel pump, FPR, plugs, HKS FMIC, actuator & exhaust, APex'i induction kit & stage 2 chip engine wise, and coilovers, 325mm front discs with 4 pot billet calipers and a few other bits and bobs chassis wise.
It's a great little car, and is fairly easy to tinker with yourself (I have done all the modifications myself apart from fitting a new clutch). I love it :d

Paul Beazer
21-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies guys - I'm still looking.
I have to say I would be tempted by a V6, but my head says that the 2.0 is the one I should buy as it will be the family run-about, and I don't want to have to spend a lot of money keeping it in good shape.

In my limited experience the V6 is no more of a black hole for servicing costs than other cars i've owned. Get a good one with a service history and i wouldnt expect many (if any) problems. They're good for a few miles.....!