PDA

View Full Version : VIN Numbers

ReggieK
02-11-2003, 01:03 PM
How can you check a VIN number?

As you may or may not know I am in the middle of buying Phil's VR4. I did the obligatory Car Data check but the AA said the VIN number was unrecognised. I thought I had just written it down wrong, but Phil has just sent it to me again and it is the same? :Ponder:

I'm not overly worried, as they pulled correct car up from the registration and a Mitsi inspection gave the car a clean bill of health. But it would be nice to get that cleared up.

Any ideas on who I can call/contact to get it checked out?

Nick VR4
02-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Found this :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides_to/carfraud/index6.shtml

Third Paragraph stated Dealer is the best start
Maybe give them a ring tomorrow and ask if they did it or not
I would imagine they did and if not kick there arse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBC Watchdog have enlisted the help of Japanese car manufacturers to inspect your car and establish if it could be stolen or not.

If you believe that your car could be at risk:

Take it to the nearest appropriate dealer along with the V5 registration document, and for a fee of £25 INSERT INTO post VALUES (plus VAT); they'll check your car's VIN number against their database in Japan. Please do not ring the police or manufacturers at this stage, as your car must be examined first. If you do ring either of them you will only be referred back to the web site or watchdog help line.

The result of the inspection will then be sent to you, the registered keeper, and a copy of the inspection result will also be sent to the police responsible for the area where the registered keeper lives.

If your car's details agree with the manufacturer's Japanese data, then you have the option of contacting the police INSERT INTO post VALUES (ask for your local Stolen Vehicle Squad); to have your car checked against an outstanding international stolen vehicle database. It is essential that your vehicle is examined by a dealer first, otherwise the you may be asking the police to check the wrong V.I.N. number.

If the details do not agree with the manufacturer's Japanese data, then you have the option of taking your car to the police to have the VIN plate and chassis number examined to see if it may have been tampered with. The police should be able to tell you if your car has been stolen, and may then be able to trace the original owner in Japan. If they can confirm that your car has been stolen and also establish the identity of the original owner, then there is a risk you may have your car seized and possibly sold. You should seek advice from your solicitor.

If the details don't agree with the Japanese manufacturer's data on year of build, it could be that your car hasn't been stolen, but simply had its year changed to make it appear newer than it is. You should contact the seller and threaten legal proceedings for misrepresentation, but also contact the DVLA who will supply the correct registration mark for the car's true year of manufacture.

To contact the DVLA please call 0870 2400 010 or write to:
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1AR

How Can I Buy Legal Title If My Car Is Stolen?

If you are unlucky enough to have bought a stolen grey and the original owner can be traced, you should be able to buy legal title from a Japanese insurance company or original owner through a loss adjuster based in the UK.

The amounts of money vary and at the moment we're not aware of a set price structure, but good title would certainly costs several thousands of pounds. However if you are faced with losing your car and the money you paid for it, buying legal title might be the least expensive option. You should do nothing until you've been contacted by a loss adjuster, who will advise what to do next.

Will Having Bought a Stolen Car Affect My Insurance Cover?

If you have established that your car has been stolen, you should immediately contact your insurance company or broker. Failure to inform them could jeopardise your insurance cover and put you and your family at risk.