PDA

View Full Version : Flames out of my a55?

WildCards
19-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Should I be getting flames out of my exhaust when i'm driving moderately hard? Last week in wales I apparently had a three foot flame shoot out the exhaust during a quickish drive back from town one night. And tonight I managed two pop bang flamers. The first whilst doing 100 in 4th, letting off the go pedal, then back on it and changed up to 5th and another pop bang flame. Now I know these cars runs rich, and I have a metal pipe where the cat should be, but is something wrong that needs sorting pronto?

mpau009
19-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Don't know about a 3 foot flame:beatnik2: But iv been getting a lot of popping and backfires lately, i assumed it was an exhaust problem, but iv had it checked by mitsi and an exhaust shop and they dont seem to think theres anything wrong with it..

Be interested to see if its anything to worry about:uhoh:

Do you have a VTA Blow off valve? I think they might make the problem worse

Dan_G
19-08-2006, 12:49 AM
COOOOOOOooooooooooooooooool!

WildCards
19-08-2006, 12:52 AM
'three foot' as witnessed by a Clio 182 driver behind me, so probably fibbers. But nonetheless i'm a bit concerned.

Tonight the car was juddering a bit while it did it, almost like the speed limiter had cut it, but not quite so severe. Last week it did it when I changed down a gear, but no juddering.

BOV is the standard effort. WTF's going on?

soapy1978
19-08-2006, 01:12 AM
i get it if i run shell optimax but if i on cheap fuel it o.k what fuel you running and i only get it if i giving it loads

bradc
19-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Just to clarify, are we talking about your car or you?

Either way, it sounds great to me, nothing to complain about at all! :D

Physician
19-08-2006, 07:35 AM
I think it may be worse than you realised Steve .........../yes

uploaded/850/1155969289.gif

mpau009
19-08-2006, 07:53 AM
/haz /Devil5

ritch_w
19-08-2006, 08:56 AM
fuel cut or over fuelling or dumping fuel into the exhaust

sorry cant offer more - technically retarded :)

bradc
19-08-2006, 09:01 AM
That would be my guess too Ritch, but remember we don't know if the flames are coming from the car or Steve yet :P

Lucas
19-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Detonation in exhausts has been known to blow holes if the pressure can't escape easily enough :o shouldn't be a problem with a big enough bore though.

3 foot flames may not be an exageration either, skylines doing burnouts are especially good at throwing flame IMO. No idea what causes it though sorry

Kieran
19-08-2006, 11:49 AM
I think it may be worse than you realised Steve .........../yes

uploaded/850/1155969289.gif

/haz /haz

Wodjno
19-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Steve.. At the speed and gears you were in i would say thats prettey normal.. The Boost your building at those speeds need a lot of fuel.. When you lift off the ignition will always stop igniting before the fuel stops injecting.. Only a minute fraction of a second, but still enough to put fuel into your cylinders that doesn't get ignited as there is no spark.. The excess fuel then exits via the exaust valves and into a very very very hot exhaust.. the heat from the exhaust then ignites the excess fuel, resulting in Pop Bang and if your lucky some flames .. >|
As you don't have a Cat in you have less chance of damaging your Zorst as it is more free flowing and there is not as much pressure exerted in the Zorst when the fuel is ignited. Just a chance that the back box may be damaged if it is happening repeatedly. :undecided But then thats an exuse for a Zorst upgrade :smoking:

The Vee
19-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah think Wodj has about got it there, up the boost and you may get a bit more if you try hard enough!! The over richness on these cars does help with this!!
Physician picture - pmsl/haz

caishanvr4
19-08-2006, 12:56 PM
You sure you didn't have xtra hot vindaloo with a couple :5shots:
Makes you see and do strange things /Devil5

WildCards
19-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Definately the car Brad.

Glenn, thanks for the info and peace of mind mate.

Paul, I don't 'do' Vindaloo, can about manage a Madras if i'm drunk enough or a pub Vindaloo if i'm drunk enough but not a proper one.