PDA

View Full Version : Wideband controller any good??

conaboy
19-08-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/aem6gauewico.html

This any good??

Want to get a decent AFR gauge installed.

Still not sure why my last engine failed but dont want to break my new when it's in so thought it may be a wise investment!

Wodjno
19-08-2006, 12:46 PM
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/aem6gauewico.html

This any good??

Want to get a decent AFR gauge installed.

Still not sure why my last engine failed but dont want to break my new when it's in so thought it may be a wise investment!

Looks pretty smart.. And the Wideband sensor is good quality.. Just it's advertised as a controller and it's just a monitor.. If you going to monitor your AFR's you may as well have the ability to alter you AFR's as well....I can almost certainly say that you will see ultra rich AFR's at WOT.. You will need an SAFC or similar fuel controller for this..

conaboy
19-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Cool, will have the SAFC, fuel pump and FPR on the car. Just want a good gauge to make sure I don't run lean at any point.

Does the price look ok aswell?

Wodjno
19-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Cool, will have the SAFC, fuel pump and FPR on the car. Just want a good gauge to make sure I don't run lean at any point.

Does the price look ok aswell?

Didn't check shipping costs, but looks about right /Elmo

bradc
19-08-2006, 02:17 PM
you could always buy two and run one off each turbo :)

Wodjno
19-08-2006, 02:24 PM

???????????????????

conaboy
19-08-2006, 03:04 PM

Your confusing me now?

Thought they worked off the O2 sensor in the exhaust?

Would it be possible for me to map my own SAFC with this installed?

Would end up paying for itself if I could, probably around the same price for a tuner to map it for me.

Spirit
19-08-2006, 03:26 PM
There is one on fleabay for £175 + £10 postage at the moment

Kieran
19-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Your confusing me now?

Thought they worked off the O2 sensor in the exhaust?

Would it be possible for me to map my own SAFC with this installed?

Would end up paying for itself if I could, probably around the same price for a tuner to map it for me.

The reason why you'd have an O2 sensor in each downpipe is so you you see if one bank of cylinders was running leaner than the other. As an example, the GTO is known for it when you start wanging up the boost - the link between the two fuel rails is too restrictive and can't allow enough flow to the rear bank when the boost is increased. I don't know how good/bad our engines are. All I can say is that the Rail link on our engines *looks* better - and we've had very few engine pops from leaning out/detonation where something else wasn't the major contributing factor.

You could map it yourself, trial and error. Establish what your 'Base' fuel map looks like (by logging the AFR @ xxxRPM and xxxThrottle position) and then you can 'trim' the fuelling up or down using the S-AFC. Then, all you need to do is repeat. Small steps and you will be well on your way to a good safe 12:1 AFR rather than the 9 or 10 that these cars often have.

bradc
19-08-2006, 10:05 PM
What he said ^^^^

zentac
20-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Ive got one and if you want one there is a group by on www.ftooc.org/phpbb
they are ok but they sample too quickly so you can not use them to set the car up correctly.

Ive tested it along side an LM1 and an Autronics hand held unit, they are accurate but the fluctuation is too quick to tune with.

zentac
20-08-2006, 11:06 AM
here is the link to the group buy http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=51047

conaboy
20-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Good man, probably put my name down for one.

Eurospec
21-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Personally i am not a fan of the AEM units, simply because they provide no narrow band simulation.

This means that you need to weld a second bung on the car and use 2 sensors- the original one from the car feeding the ecu, and the new wideband feeding the guage.

My preference is for plx. These units have narrowband simulated output also, meaning you can feed a wideband output to your guage or standalone or whatever, but feed the car with the stock narrowband input it is expecting to see.

Check out www.plxdevices.com

AEM will work fine, but you will always need 2 bungs in your exhaust. No problems with the units- just a personal preference thing.

Also, whoever was mentioning about the F-R rail restriction on a GTO, yep thats true. #6 is last on the fuel rail on the rear bank, its also the furthest journal from the oil pump on the crank. Guess which piston pops the most and which bearing spins the most??!

As regards leaning out, yes the cars run rich at WOT, but that was deliberate from the factory. I wouldnt go leaning that out too much unless you can monitor knock.

Cheers,

Ben.