PDA

View Full Version : Performance between V6 manual and tiptronic

bradc
19-08-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm sure at least a couple of you guys out there have owned a V6 manual and a V6 auto, how much difference is there between them on the road? I'm looking at buying a jap spec ST-R Legnum which comes with the V6 engine and 4wd, and either a 5 speed manual or a 4 speed tiptronic. Manual's are hard to find for less than $7k, while auto's are available for about $5k.

WildCards
19-08-2006, 10:18 PM
What's important? Money or drivers choice?

I like my tippy box in the Legnum but if I was offered a manual i'd take it any day. But $2k is alot of money in any currency... almost.

My choice (having driven neither) would be the manual, get used to the boc before your 6 speed conversion eh?

bradc
19-08-2006, 10:22 PM
It's got nothing to do with getting used to one, I've been driving a manual for the last 5 months or so while my VR-4 has been getting modified. Once I get the VR-4 back, I'll be seriously looking for one because then I can sell the 626 that I've been driving.

The reason why I want a manual is because it is going to be used as a farm vehicle that will tow heavy trailers and be expected to take them on the farm too, and I don't think the auto will take that kind of abuse.

mpau009
19-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Sounds like you need a hilux/Hyper Those are great fun for paddock bashing.

I think as far as gearboxes go, i really didnt like the autos, i doubt id ever buy any car with one again, but when it was going alright i had no worries towing my little yacht (even towed it up the welsford road once) or other trailers.

But i like the manual, its just easier for me, i can use it to engine brake (which is probably why my clutch takes such a beating), but i like the responsiveness - id rather wait an extra 1/2 second for my gearchanges and have it do exactly what i want, than have the gearbox panic and switch down just because i put my foot down a little bit too much.

Each to their own, but i think the manuals are a load more fun.

The Vee
19-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Always had a manual, spose to a degree out of habit and I like driving them. Also as I tow a lot I've always considered it a better bet. But to be fair, I always find an auto "fun", probably a lot to do with the novelty factor and as for my previous statement, it has to be said the modern auto is now a very different animal. On the galants (V6) I have driven PSB's and found it to be not lacking. In fact when in our own cars, catch me napping and it was a battle!! At the end of the day though, think I'd still stay with the manual.

zentac
20-08-2006, 11:03 AM
The FTO has the same 4sp Tip FWD box as the Galant and if you look at the 1/4mile league table on my site www.mitsubishi-fto.net/qmile you can see that there is quite a difference (approx 1s) of the 1/4 mile.

MGV6
20-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Auto is more of a luxury thing. Manual is quicker but the auto is triptronic so it can be used just like a manual. Autos consume more fuel then manual.

Perosnally I like Autos. The INVECS 11 works really well on the car.

bradc
20-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Sounds like I'm definately waiting for a manual then, 1 second over 400m is quite a bit, and the petrol consumption will be less as well :)