PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Suggestions

strapping young lad
21-08-2006, 09:22 PM
ive currently got conti eco contacts on mine from new, and bought them last year

in the dry they are fine, hold the road well but in the wet are a bit ****e

i oversteered doing 25mph round a corner in billinge (near st helens) in rain :uhoh:

so when they are running out who can suggest replacement tyres?

oh and can you swap the fronts with the back cos the fronts have worn quicker than the rear

its a v6-24 auto btw.

cheers

stuartturbo
21-08-2006, 09:28 PM
eagle f1's

but as for swapping deff not recomended unless you like going backwards LOL

Nick Mann
21-08-2006, 09:29 PM
It is better to have new tyres on the rear if you are worried about oversteer. Move the two you are keeping to the front and then put the new rubber on the back.

I haven't got anything to suggest as regard to make - check out some reviews of things like Toyo Proxes, Goodyear Eagle F1, Michelin Pilot Sport. Some reviews mark tyres out of 5 in different categories, so you can compare the score of your current tyre with the score of others.

strapping young lad
21-08-2006, 09:45 PM
oh crap which is it when you turn a corner but the car goes straight on?

is that over or understeer?

thats what i mean, the car doesnt grip around corners is what i meant!

soz

stuartturbo
21-08-2006, 09:56 PM
being front wheel drive you probally get understeer must cars are set up this way even 4wd.front slide on
but if you put shonky tyres on the rear you run a risk of
lift off oversteer( good when playing:helmet: not good when you need to slow down mid corner) happens a wieght tranfers quickly to front of car to make back end light.
Or just oversteer which is very hard to control on a front wheel drive ( translated to read your screwed)

stuey
21-08-2006, 11:41 PM
oh crap which is it when you turn a corner but the car goes straight on?

is that over or understeer?

thats what i mean, the car doesnt grip around corners is what i meant!

soz

understeer, you want the good tyres on the front

strapping young lad
21-08-2006, 11:50 PM
does that mean i can swap the backs for the fronts? i understand left for left and right for right but if so can i do it without affecting handling?

WildCards
22-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Bear in mind tyres not only affect your grip levels in varying conditions, but you'll also notice greatly improved stopping distances with good tyres too.

I was always told the only thing between you and the road are the tyres, so buy the best you can afford.

strapping young lad
22-08-2006, 08:07 AM
ok i thought the contis were one of the best?

i do drive quite aggressively though not a sunday driver at all so i need reliable grip in all conditions
with this in mind which would you recommend? and also ones which wont wear out after a couple of k either! ;)

bradc
22-08-2006, 08:15 AM
As Steve said, you should always buy the best tyres you can get. GSD3's are available fairly cheaply, and they are very good, especially in the wet.

WildCards
22-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Yep GSD3's are good, their only downfall is the super soft tyre wall. If your going for a large profile they'll bulge under the front and produce tyre squirm, Spirit rate Falken 451's and 452's which have a much stronger wall.

What size are you after? GSD3's should be fine up to '45'

Wodjno
22-08-2006, 11:48 AM
If you have plenty tread on the rears and sufficient tread on the fronts to put to the rears then do it.. You shouldn't have any issues.. I normally did that when the fronts were down to around 3mm and the rears were still approx 5+.. should give you plenty more driving before you change up the quality of your tyres to something like GS-D3's.. :)

strapping young lad
22-08-2006, 11:55 AM
will do wodj

whats a gsd3?

is that 3 alsatians?
;)

WildCards
22-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Wodjno
22-08-2006, 12:10 PM
will do wodj

whats a gsd3?

is that 3 alsatians?
;)

/dunce

As Wildcards states above.. GS-D3 is Eagle F1 GS-D3.. There are different variants of Eagle F1's, but you want specifically the GS-D3 /Wave

strapping young lad
22-08-2006, 01:26 PM
oh right i see nice one cheers

like the avatar btw, although i cant help thinking your aim is to have a sultry woman sucking a lolly but for some reason to me it lokos like a child with the lolly!

The Vee
22-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Swear by 'em

Seem good in wet and have suffered the ring and castle combe and still have some meat left. Understeer will always be easy to get on the V6.

Wodjno
22-08-2006, 05:10 PM
oh right i see nice one cheers

like the avatar btw, although i cant help thinking your aim is to have a sultry woman sucking a lolly but for some reason to me it lokos like a child with the lolly!

Hmmm ! Yes it does a bit, although i know that it isn't :) But i'll change it in case some one gets UPPETTY about it :lipsrseal

Kieran
22-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I personally have been very impressed with the wet grip of the Dunlop SP Sport 01 tyres that Ariadne wears. They are also a quiet running tyre, which is nice.

Not tried the Eagle F1 GSD3s, but don't see any reason to, if i'm honest.

Spirit
22-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Yep F1's if you can afford them, or Falken FK-452's next best choice.

The Falkens will last longer on track, but the F1's give the best overall performance and confidence in all conditions.