PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

batherst
22-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Hey all long time no talk,

Well i have a few questions. Firstly. with this new exhaust law coming into light soon will we be able to get away with deep sounding exhausts straight from the turbo's??? Im sorta tosing up weather or not to get one but dont wanna have to remove it again.

2nd question what type of intercooler is best for a vr4.

cheers guys/Banana

Gly
22-08-2006, 08:21 AM
NO, "You See" has had to add another resonator (a 3rd) to his custom system to bring the sound down.

im in the process of fitting a 3" cat back fujitsubo to mine,
(its ment for the vr4 but im hoping it will be quiter than my current system)

its quiet but still an excellent performance exhaust (kenneth had one).

a bar and plate would be best, most seem to be using aroung a 600x300x76.

the stock unit is good for around 400ish hp (i think)

Hey all long time no talk,

Well i have a few questions. Firstly. with this new exhaust law coming into light soon will we be able to get away with deep sounding exhausts straight from the turbo's??? Im sorta tosing up weather or not to get one but dont wanna have to remove it again.

2nd question what type of intercooler is best for a vr4.

cheers guys/Banana

batherst
22-08-2006, 08:36 AM
ic, because i was sure that it would just be targeting cars with just mufflers and that horrible sound as opposed to a deep sound from a vr4. But not likely to get away with it really seems a waste of money

You See
22-08-2006, 08:42 AM
NO, "You See" has had to add another resonator (a 3rd) to his custom system to bring the sound down.
It was another 2 from my original 1...but I won't hold that against you, just give me your Fujitsubo! :P
I'm still looking for a quieter muffler to bring it down further....not for legal requirements, just personal preference. :D

bradc
22-08-2006, 08:56 AM
You can always add in another resonater to make it quieter if it is a little too loud. If you want it - then go for it :)

As for the intercooler, the stock one is perfectly fine for normal power levels, the main reason for upgrading with a fairly stock car is just looks. There are always lots of cheap 600x300x76mm intercoolers on trademe, those ones are perfectly fine.

batherst
22-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Sweet as man ill have a look at my options.

Pescha
22-08-2006, 10:33 AM
600*300*76 intercoolers are the right size any bigger and you create lag, which of course we dont want :p

batherst
23-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Yea iv got my eye on way on trade me atm. How hard are they to install yourself? is there any where that will fit it for me? im sort of new to this stuff..

KiwiTT
23-08-2006, 12:33 AM
If you are near Auckland, come to our meet (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18306) and see some of what our members have done.

PS: Bring $NZ30 and you can see a lot of more information in our members section.

bradc
23-08-2006, 01:20 AM
They aren't that hard to do yourself, but you may need some additional piping as well. It will take a few hours though, you'll need to make up brackets as well.

batherst
23-08-2006, 01:43 AM
yea might do that. if all else fails will get it professionaly done. where is the stock intercooler in relation to the stock radiator

bradc
23-08-2006, 01:49 AM
it is right at the front of the car, and painted black. It is fairly large, and thats why you don't need to change it unless you are making big HP or if you want it for the looks.

ShadyNZer
23-08-2006, 02:32 AM
i wanted mine for the looks :thumbsup: like most things on my car....but if youre guna take it to the shop to get it done, mine was $360 or something in Manukau at Raw Motorworx, took the bumper off myself so mightve saved a lil bit....

batherst
23-08-2006, 04:59 AM
alrite. thanks for the help guys you rock/GJ

Lucas
23-08-2006, 05:55 AM
I would've thought you'd be ok for the exhaust. I have a 4.5" muffler with a silencer fitted (N/A engine) and still thought it would be loud enough to attract unwanted attention from the likes of WOF centres and police.

Got a WOF 2 weeks ago with not even a murmer bout my exhaust even though they sat there revving the car for a bit. Didn't even want me to weld my silencer in either (VTNZ Glenfield) Although my headlights are too 'blue' lol but they passed me anyway much to my surprise.

Turbo's should be heaps quieter than N/A's but I suppose it also depends on any other mods

batherst
23-08-2006, 06:12 AM
yes, hence the reason i was wondering about running one straight from the turbo and getting the deep sound as oposed to the loud sound

Xeroid
23-08-2006, 10:37 AM
You may find the 'deep sound' can be a bit of a drone at certain speeds/revs.
Sometimes wish I had a tuning knob to kill my 50kph noise but it's sweet at 100kph normally.

batherst
23-08-2006, 11:03 PM
because the ltsa reckin they will be testing V6 engines at like 5 thousand rpm. o well time will tell

bradc
24-08-2006, 02:06 AM
It is 50% of the redline, ie 3500rpm

Lucas
24-08-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm sure I read in the testing guidelines that V6 engines will be measured at 3200rpm. Seems to be a few different ideas about it, can anyone definately confirm what it is? (not saying anyone is right or wrong but it would be nice to clarify things)

Gly
24-08-2006, 07:59 AM
its 50% of redline if known,

lucas your info is from the proposed draft. which was changed slightly.

anyway good new my 3" fujitsubo fits, and sounds good :D

much better than my stock with a dytech muffler,

i have no droning going on now at crusing speed or at all that ive noticed :P

bradc
24-08-2006, 08:01 AM
It was going to be something like that originally, but the final guideline is 50% of the redline

Lucas
24-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Ok, sounds good to me. The higher the RPM in my car the quieter it gets so it's all good. Sounds like the wait has paid off for you Gly! :tiny:

batherst
24-08-2006, 12:08 PM
well thats always reasuring then. So the whole exhaust system should be sweet

Gly
25-08-2006, 06:51 AM
well thats always reasuring then. So the whole exhaust system should be sweet

personally i wouldnt do it,

when you car is rev'd at 3500rpm if it makes any poping, aka backfiring,
it counts, UC has this at the noise test day and broght him over the limit...

personally if i was you, i would get a prefabed aftermarket system...

fujitsubo, hks, blitz etc, (something Jasma approved as it will fall within our new laws aswell)

(JASMA IS A JAPANESE STANDARD NOT A BRAND FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW!!)

if your going for a custom made,
i would have a 3" from the down pipes back with 2 good resonators to eliminate drone and a good muffler.

if you want from the turbos is gonna cost a sh!t load! (for something well done)
if you got cash to burn get fujitsubo tuned length downpipes.

also what area are you in??
some places to avoid...

mag and turbo (all of them)
lance at pitstop new market (not as good as hes made out to be)

ShadyNZer
25-08-2006, 09:20 AM
^^ whats wrong with that lance dude...heard heaps big him up on here...? yeah mag and turb suck, the effed up my super lows a lil while back cheeky buggers

edit: yay my sig works....pretty ouddovit

Gly
25-08-2006, 09:38 AM
they screwed up some work on uc's car.

took way longer than it should have, even thou was booked in and promised to be completed at set time,

and they didnt fit a brake hose correctly on his car, and it leaked,
potentially very dangerous, could have caused a crash!

they damaged a side skirt on his car,

cross threaded the wheel nuts, had to snap the wheel studs to get them off
(i got to fix this at the work shop day)

also heard thay take advantage of peoples car if you leave them there (joy rides round new market trashing them to death)

so basically i wouldnt trust that lot with a plastic hot wheels car.

ShadyNZer
26-08-2006, 07:29 AM
oooh ratsh!t....