PDA

View Full Version : Have I damaged my engine?

MGV6
22-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I just found out today from my local garage that the Aircon/Power steering belt on my car had the wrong ribs on it.

It was already on there when I got the car. The correct one has now been put on.

Would that have messed up the engine in any way?

doherty
22-08-2006, 04:30 PM
What did the garage say about potential damage?

MGV6
22-08-2006, 04:42 PM
What did the garage say about potential damage?

He didnt say anything. It just used to have a squeeky noise everytime it was running.

Kieran
22-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Doubt it will have harmed it - all it means is the belt won't have sat right. Worst that could have happened is the belt snap.

stuartturbo
22-08-2006, 07:12 PM
no the belt prob would have sat right as automotive polyV belts are the same profile
ie all lVVVVVl not l\/\/\/\/\/l so a belt would have 5 V's instead of 6 would mean more load on each V rather than split on 6

600Nm belt load
should be 100Nm per v on as 6 V belt
on a 5 the load will be 120Nm per V

gone on a bit but hope it make some useful sense

Paul Beazer
22-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Decided to bottle out and get the garage to do it for you then!
Naah, cant see how it would damage the engine at all. The worst that could have happened like K said is the belt would have failed prematurely.
Stopped squeaking now has it?:smartass2

MGV6
22-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Decided to bottle out and get the garage to do it for you then!
Naah, cant see how it would damage the engine at all. The worst that could have happened like K said is the belt would have failed prematurely.
Stopped squeaking now has it?:smartass2

I couldn't do it myself. I ain't a mechanic but I did try, I couldn't do it. :)

Yeah, the sqeeky noise has stopped. I brought a original Aircon belt from Mitsui. It costed £38.50 though :( and £20 to fit from independant garage. Mitsui said £47 for fitting. Pathetic!

I wish I was a super mechanic like you guys. I noticed a lot of you guys here know quite a bit about engines and stuff relating to cars. :)

Paul Beazer
22-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Its amazing what you will try when you dont want to pay dealer prices! Glad it got sorted tho. Still think you got ripped off for the belt!

MGV6
22-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Its amazing what you will try when you dont want to pay dealer prices! Glad it got sorted tho. Still think you got ripped off for the belt!

Well its a original Mitsui part so I suppose its better than non original. Non orignals can sometimes cause problems especially with belts. So, I didnt mind paying extra to get a orignal part but their labour charges are silly. Its just ridiculous. About £50 for 30 minutes of labour :(

I know a bit about parts and that but not really a mechanic though