PDA

View Full Version : ATF flush

orionn2o
22-08-2006, 07:22 PM
is the flush absolutely necessary every service?? or is this more of a once in a while thing??

stuartturbo
22-08-2006, 07:37 PM
recomended is 45000 miles by mitsi
most here would prob say 30000 depending on life you give it
for the sake of a few extra litres i would do it

flushed mine when i did it ( only used dextronIII with additives seems ok so far)
will flush it when i get some proper wedge to put amsoil in it

Nick Mann
22-08-2006, 07:39 PM
As Mr. Turbo says.

Easy answer - No.

If you give your gearbox hell then change the fluid regularly, otherwise Mitsy recommended intervals should be fine. However, every time you change the fluid, do it preoperly with a full flush. If you just empty the sump you only change around 1/2 of the fluid.

amsoil
22-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Depends what you mean by 'flush' . If we are talking about pumping out (flushing out) the old fluid in the rest of the auto box system ie the converter, cooler lines etc I would say yes as it would be foolish to put in new fuid only to be mixed up with a similar amount of bad old fluid (I say bad because thats why its being changed isn't it)
If we are talking about putting a flush like is more usual in an engine then the answer from Amsoil INC is no dont do it; and I could feel them twitching over the phone at the very thought of it. Yes I do realise there are such products but good luck to you if they ever see the inside of your gearbox! :beerbang:

is the flush absolutely necessary every service?? or is this more of a once in a while thing??

orionn2o
30-08-2006, 01:18 PM
no i meant using 15 odd litres of expensive gearbox oil to pump out all the old stuff!

ritch_w
30-08-2006, 01:32 PM
would chucking a few litres of local motor factors DexIII (cheaper than amsoil) through the box (after the sumps been dumped) and letting it drain through (before adding amsoil) do the same job?

WildCards
30-08-2006, 03:35 PM
When you change your ATF there is a way of flushing everything through with the new oil and not losing much of it in the process.

Kieran has done a very good 'how to' for this in the members section. Have a looky and if you don't feel confident give WRD a call, they are a dab hand at it.

stuartturbo
30-08-2006, 06:51 PM
It is an easy job if you have some mechanical skills. No real hard parts apart from the filling via the dip stick

I-S
30-08-2006, 09:14 PM
would chucking a few litres of local motor factors DexIII (cheaper than amsoil) through the box (after the sumps been dumped) and letting it drain through (before adding amsoil) do the same job?

That's what K and I did with mine when it got amsoiled.