PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 2000 on Manual Gearbox

Alanee
25-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Looking for a manual gearbox...must be from a 2.5 V6 Galant from 2000 onwards..

Cheers...Alanee

Paul Beazer
26-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Yours broken then?

psbarham
26-08-2006, 10:22 AM
if i remember correctly , Zentac wanted one for his tyre shredder and had to order one from NZ

Gly
26-08-2006, 10:33 AM
www.kempys.co.nz

mpau009
26-08-2006, 10:36 AM
www.kempys.co.nz

Man those guys should get you on comission:) :elf: :smartass2

WildCards
26-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Man those guys should get you on comission:) :elf: :smartass2

/lol /haz /lol

ritch_w
26-08-2006, 12:48 PM
I know where u can get one ;)

Alanee
26-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...

NZ to Scotland could be a bit tricky....running around in my mum's 1.4 Corsa at the moment. (putting the hearer on full to cool the engine!) Gearbox not broken - just not sounding its best! I have 95K miles on the clock and am having a few consumable parts replaced in the hope that I will get another 95K from her...

Alan

Alanee
26-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Edited Version ! (my mum doesn't have a 'hearer' her ears are fine!)

Thanks for the suggestions...

NZ to Scotland could be a bit tricky....running around in my mum's 1.4 Corsa at the moment. (putting the heater on full to cool the engine!) Gearbox not broken - just not sounding its best! I have 95K miles on the clock and am having a few consumable parts replaced in the hope that I will get another 95K from her...

Alan

Paul Beazer
26-08-2006, 09:33 PM
MJR's just scrapped his, cant rememeber if it auto or manual tho.

The Vee
26-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Looking for exactly the same thing!! If you have any luck tracking one down, I'd be happy to buy your old one off you as I'm not worried about the condition so long as it works!!

Alanee
28-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Vee...

Heathrow engines/gearboxes offered a recon unit for 395..

Love the sales bit at the end

My box is out tomorrow/Wed for a medical we will see what what the doctor says..

Alan

Thank you for your enquiry.

Our factory can rebuild your existing gearbox, providing the major components are re-useable, for £ 395.00+ vat.

Even if your gearbox is damaged, we hold extensive stocks of components and can still rebuild your gearbox. Obviously, the cost of this depends on the extent and nature of the damage to your unit.

No deposit requirement.

We can collect your old unit and deliver it back when ready on the UK Mainland for £50.00 + vat.

Worldwide shipping can be arranged at very reasonable rates

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of our re-manufactured gearboxes come with a 12 month / 12,000 miles guarantee. To view guarantee go to:-

http://www.heathrowengines.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/HeathrowSupplyOnlyGearboxGuarantee.doc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you wish to speak directly to our sales team please call us on 0208 744 2525 and quote reference No.R2608/069

Regards,

Sales Team

Holiday Villa, Cottage and studio for rent in fabulous Barbados

Situated on the sheltered West Coast of Barbados less than a mile from the famous "Sandy Lane" Hotel.

The property's are built directly on the beachfront and all feature air-conditioning, satelite TV and maid service.

For more details, prices, pictures etc.... goto www.barbadosprivatevillas.com

g6acb
28-08-2006, 09:09 PM
is a v6 gearbox any different to a 2.0 16v one???

Kieran
29-08-2006, 12:33 AM

Don't *think* so. They're both the F5M42. Don't think there's a spec difference between them?

ritch_w
29-08-2006, 08:06 AM
ratios the same?

The Vee
29-08-2006, 08:36 AM
ratios the same?

I believe they are - will check later, just the final drive not too sure about

g6acb
29-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Closer investigation reveals a different 5th gear ratio, 0.820 in the 2.0 16v, 0.767 in the 2.5 24v

John
29-08-2006, 10:30 AM

I can advise from experience that there are differences.

Having had the same problem, I bought a scrap GDI box (for £40 - bargin) assuming they were the same since they have the same part number.

#1 bellhousing is different since the starter motors are not in the same place.
#2 ratios are different.

However, if you like getting dirty, I can vouch for the fact that you can transfer the bellhousing since the box casing and bolt holes are the same. I also swapped the diff and reverse gears since they are the same (I know you should ideally keep bearings with their original races but 10k on the rebuilt box has not shown up any problems).

I did notice that the splines and oil feed on the mainshaft had been modified on the (2001) GDI box. The splines on my (97) box had almost worn away which meant complete loss of drive was imminent (after only 70k too). So, I also swapped all the gears from one main shaft to the other.

So you see, anything is possible. Hint. Black 'bung' on the end of the casing has to come out to release the final circlip to split the box. I found no way of removing it undamaged (and it is rather expensive to replace!).

Need I add that Amsoil has made for a very smooth gearchange.

Go on, have a go!

Alanee
29-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I was also infromed that the spline count is different - there is certainly a 24 and a 27 count - mine is 27 - the gearbox at Nipponspares (don't use them!) was a 24... took them all day to get back to me ....after 5 calls !! each time they said they would check and get back..sounded like a shambles in the workshop..sounded as if they all had false names?? I asked for Ian and I overheard a guy asking his colleague...is that you??...

"you using Ian today?..that's cute...Ian..Ian? Mmmm I like that, I'm going by Gervais at the moment..what do you think?..... Hey bud..we work with gearboxes..you may need something a little more butch...like Big Jock or maybe even a Kenny...but Gervais...Mmmm??

The Vee
04-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Nippon spares, do a search for "ripped off" it's the thread title and comes up on about the third page.

amsoil
04-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Steady on there boys; :stop:
Heathrow engines (being just down the road from me ) are known not only to me and many others around here but also to the likes of Dog Watch, Ester and her staff. Absolutely the most infamous lot in the SE if not the UK. One hears that their idea of a rebuild is a steam spray and wipe down less the wipe down! :oops:

You have been warned.

Vee...

Heathrow engines/gearboxes offered a recon unit for 395..

Love the sales bit at the end

My box is out tomorrow/Wed for a medical we will see what what the doctor says..

Alan

Thank you for your enquiry.

Our factory can rebuild your existing gearbox, providing the major components are re-useable, for £ 395.00+ vat.

Even if your gearbox is damaged, we hold extensive stocks of components and can still rebuild your gearbox. Obviously, the cost of this depends on the extent and nature of the damage to your unit.

No deposit requirement.

We can collect your old unit and deliver it back when ready on the UK Mainland for £50.00 + vat.

Worldwide shipping can be arranged at very reasonable rates

All of our re-manufactured gearboxes come with a 12 month / 12,000 miles guarantee. To view guarantee go to:-

http://www.heathrowengines.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/HeathrowSupplyOnlyGearboxGuarantee.doc

If you wish to speak directly to our sales team please call us on 0208 744 2525 and quote reference No.R2608/069

Regards,

Sales Team

Holiday Villa, Cottage and studio for rent in fabulous Barbados

Situated on the sheltered West Coast of Barbados less than a mile from the famous "Sandy Lane" Hotel.

The property's are built directly on the beachfront and all feature air-conditioning, satelite TV and maid service.

For more details, prices, pictures etc.... goto www.barbadosprivatevillas.com

The Vee
04-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Cheers Don, only want one to rebuild myself as a spare, but a good note for anybody tempted to go their way:thumbsup:

psbarham
06-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Cheers Don, only want one to rebuild myself as a spare, but a good note for anybody tempted to go their way:thumbsup:
Andy there is a GLS manual at that breakers near the power station , might be worth a snout at

g6acb
06-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Andy there is a GLS manual at that breakers near the power station , might be worth a snout at

.... There is a GLS manual in my garage that is starting to become a bit of an 'issue' with the g/f.....

... but as already discussed there are a few differences between that and the V6 'box

Alanee
09-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Spent 450 on having mine reconned ahhh...good old Scottish engineering!!

I got 12K/ 1 year warranty with it.

Had a new clutch fitted at the same time, ABS now fully functional...and a new set of Eibachs and springs....woosh...ye hah...

Alan