PDA

View Full Version : Ramping up the car

scc
27-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Can anyone recommend where I can get a suitable set of ramps to raise the car to change the ATF?

The ramps I can find are both too narrow for the wheels and too steep so the bumper hits the ramps before the wheels can get a grip.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
scc

The Vee
27-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Tis a problem this one. Wodjno uses bricks/blocks of wood in front of the ramp to drive onto first, but you have to be careful not to drop between these and the ramp. The only other thing I've seen are some home made ones with a long and shallow rise. It is a heavy car, so they must be strong.

stuartturbo
27-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Or just get four axle stands more versitile and cheaper

richy rich
27-08-2006, 12:03 PM
and a good jack

The Vee
27-08-2006, 12:12 PM

TBH that's what I use. Make sure they have decent feet on them or you place something hard under them if you use them on a tarmac drive. Yep you guessed it, I didn't when it was warm, and I found after a weekend of fiddling with the car, they'd sunk to the point I couldn't get the wheels back on!! Thought it was tight under there!!

richy rich
27-08-2006, 12:14 PM
TBH that's what I use. Make sure they have decent feet on them or you place something hard under them if you use them on a tarmac drive. Yep you guessed it, I didn't when it was warm, and I found after a weekend of fiddling with the car, they'd sunk to the point I couldn't get the wheels back on!! Thought it was tight under there!!
/pan /pan /pan

stuartturbo
27-08-2006, 12:37 PM
and a good jack

or in my case the spare wheel jack just to get the trolley jack under