PDA

View Full Version : Will the evo brembo conversion be easy with 1997 vr4 parts?

MunkyWrench
29-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I have the opportunity to snap up a bunch of parts from a 97 vr4 which I am buying the engine out of.

I have a 96 and would like to do the brembo thing, but it seems its a pain to do.

If I had the suspension parts from this 97 car would they help or is it too early a model?

How do I identify the parts from a facelift vr4 that make the brembo conversion possible?

What parts are critical / do i need from it?

Do the rears on pre-facelift cars accept the evo brembos?

Nick Mann
29-08-2006, 01:14 PM
It is all down to the bolt spacing on the hub-carrier (the two bolts that hold the caliper to the hub-carrier). I can't remember what the difference is - It's something like 135mm on pre-facelift and 165mm on facelifts. Evos have the same bolt spacing as facelifts, so the swap is easy.

1997 is too early for the spacing to be any different. (Assuming the car has original hub carriers.)

MunkyWrench
29-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks, I also found that hub carriers is all i need after reading for another hour.

Ok:
correct Hub carriers and the calipers off an evo + discs.

Does that leave me any choice in disc size? Can an adpator plate allow for larger discs?
And what about abs sensors? Are they gonna trip me up?

I would assume that modifying the hub carriers is either impractical or uncertifiable.

Wodjno
29-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks, I also found that hub carriers is all i need after reading for another hour.

Ok:
correct Hub carriers and the calipers off an evo + discs.

Does that leave me any choice in disc size? Can an adpator plate allow for larger discs?
And what about abs sensors? Are they gonna trip me up?

I would assume that modifying the hub carriers is either impractical or uncertifiable.

Easier option is give Mo (Zedy1) a ring and see if he has any facelift hub carriers complete with ABS sensors.. :D

Nick Mann
29-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Once you have facelift carriers, you can fit any combination of caliper/disc that fits an Evo. (As long as your wheels accomodate it!)

MunkyWrench
29-08-2006, 01:52 PM
just spotted this. any good to me? hehe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=68237998

Gly
30-08-2006, 08:30 AM
for brembos you need (evo 5+ brembos + disks + wheels that are evo fitment stock wheels dont have enough clearance for the brakes)
late 98+ Facelift legnum or galant hub carriers, and ABS sensors,
you can reuse your hubs,

for this willwoods you would have to have a custom mounting bracket manufactured, buy the correct disks, possibly custom brake lines and have it certified so it would be legal here in NZ