PDA

View Full Version : Slick 50

NevGroom
30-08-2006, 01:34 PM
What is the panel's view on the compatibility of VR4 and Slick 50 products, particularly the PTFE oil additives and fuel cleaning products.....?

WildCards
30-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I think Slick 50 have come in for some bad press in recent years, I think Don touched on somerthing in another post.

...Its repairing additives are likely to be like STP / slick 50 et al , both of whom have crossed swords with the USA's version of trading standards at a cost of $millions

amsoil
02-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Basicly the theory of coating everything with super slippery PTFE sounds good; so good that I used to put it in my racing engines 20 years ago and could have sworn that they ran smoother.... I now know that this is dangerous stuff! I now realise that the temperatures needed to make the coating work will be a few times higher than whats likely to blow or seize the engine! That this stuff narrows the oil ways much like colesterol and blocks oil filters (with hindsight maybe thats why I had a few engine blowups or run bearings for no apparent reason at all) Don't even think of using it.
I think it cost them 5 million in the USA + unlimited consumer liability.
I repeat don't buy it infact don't add anything to your oil especially if its Amsoil. Just can't improve on the best, (or they would have)