PDA

View Full Version : Doors suck!

MGV6
02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Not sure if this is a common problem with the Galant but sometimes when you open one of the doors, it gets stuck to the car. I remember last winter it look me 1 hour to open the driver door. It was completely stuck and frozen. I had to throw hot water on the door to open it.

Any tips on how to prevent this from happening?

Should I use anti freeze on the door edges to prevent doors freezing in winter? :smartass2

Kieran
02-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Not sure if this is a common problem with the Galant but sometimes when you open one of the car doors, it gets stuck to the car. I remember last winter It look me 1 hour to open the driver door. It was completely stuck. I had to throw hot water on the door to open it.

Any tips on how to prevent this from happening?

Should I use anti freeze on the door edges to prevent doors freezing in winter? :smartass2

Had this with my first Galant.

Use a smear of silicone-based rubber protector on your door weatherstrips, and give the areas where they contact metal a good polish and wax.

That'll help stop it.

I-S
02-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Both back doors on my estate have a habit of sticking closed. Also, in winter when the doors are frozen shut (it's happened to me), the plastic door handles don't help because you can't pull too hard on them.

DUNLY
02-09-2006, 07:38 PM
ha ha that brings back memories. my last galant (93 model) in the winter. the central locking froze, all 4 doors froze. what i had to do was open the boot, take out my parcel shelf, cos it had 6 * 9's, climb through the bak, trying to avoid the boot lid shutting on my head, cos the gas shock thing majiggers were fooked so never held the lid open (it was a hatchback so weighed a ton). then after getting in the car had to start the engine, let it defrost from the inside out. 1 morning i just had enough, and took brut force and just kept kicking the door until it opened i had, had enough. sorry a bit long winded but brought back some funny memories. :guitarist

MGV6
02-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Had this with my first Galant.

Use a smear of silicone-based rubber protector on your door weatherstrips, and give the areas where they contact metal a good polish and wax.

That'll help stop it.

u mean the black rubber thing on the edges of the door?

btw: the silicone-based rubber protector, what are they actually called though?

Funkstar
02-09-2006, 08:15 PM
I have this problem with my rear doors too but kept forgetting about it. Thought that something might have warped to begin with.

Paul Beazer
03-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Mine does it too, usually when its been washed etc. Dont think its a problem per-se. As K some gunk stuff should sort it!

MGV6
03-09-2006, 01:13 PM
could it just be that the locks are frozen? it makes the usual noise the central locking though

WildCards
04-09-2006, 03:16 PM
My rear doors do it too. Cheers K, i'll get some rubber grease. Do Amsoil do any?