PDA

View Full Version : Best Panel Filter place in NZ..?

jaimz
03-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey dudes,
I need to replace my air filter - keen for a K&N, but any recommended alternatives would be considered.

There are HEAPS of useful posts from the Brits on this topic (I now know the K&N part number and how to fit it!), but I couldn't find anything on where to go in NZ to get one.

Any suggestions!? /thankyou

Spirit
03-09-2006, 11:16 PM
/googleit

According to K&N's website:

PIONEER AUTO PARTS - 278 CHURCH STREET, PENROSE, AUCKLAND New Zealand 09 6344115

http://www.pap.co.nz/

jaimz
03-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks dude - yeah, found them too.
I gave them a call, and they're $100 cheaper than Repco (a big automotive parts chain over here).
No wonder people call them 'Ripco'!! :laugh:
Still investigating some international options though... the part is WAY cheaper, but have to look at shipping (IF they'll ship that is... I could get the "buy from the official importer line")
Will keep y'all posted.

Xeroid
05-09-2006, 10:40 AM
You know what REPCO stands for don't you ..??

Rip Every Poor Car Owner off ....

LOL

jaimz
05-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Nice :2thumbsup

Turns out both Pioneer Auto Parts and Ralliart can get the K&N filter for around $130. Ron at Ralliart said they prefer to use another brand from the UK, but I can't remember the name (sorry). They use them in all their rally cars, and they retail for around $90.

I'm still persuing a K&N though, so I'll keep y'all posted.

KiwiTT
06-09-2006, 12:22 AM
What will be the main benefit of the the standard filter from Mitsi.

bradc
06-09-2006, 12:25 AM
It should breathe a little bit easier and might unleash a little bit of power

KiwiTT
06-09-2006, 12:30 AM
"should" and "might". no definites

hmmm ... it may require some detailed analysis.

Springie
06-09-2006, 12:38 AM
I have a K&N panel filter. To be honest in my case i didnt notice buggar all difference really. My Standard filter was already clean though, it did seem very slightly faster and you can hear the turbos more. I still think its worth it as it must be better than the std filter and i can wash it :happy:

Pete M
06-09-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm fairly sure I couldn't get one for the VR-4 from Repco. I got mine from BNT http://www.bnt.co.nz

jaimz
06-09-2006, 03:35 AM
"should" and "might". no definites

hmmm ... it may require some detailed analysis.

I got the idea from a couple of threads I read that it was the best induction upgrade. I've heard that it can boost horsepower by up to 15%, but don't believe a bar of it.
I'm replacing mine 'cause I was told I needed to... so I figured why not take the step up...?
You're right though dude, some data on this would be welcome :2thumbsup

bradc
06-09-2006, 08:07 AM
I think the only way to do it is to go down to Torque performance and tell Robin you want to get a dyno with your stock air filter, then change for a k&n and do another run. It only takes 5 seconds to swap air filters, and imho is worth the dyno fee of $75

dickytim
06-09-2006, 08:33 AM
even if you don't look at it as a performance upgrade but as a cost saving measure then you will find the K&N is a good item as you will never have to replace it....

Then there is the slight increase in power.

You See
06-09-2006, 08:35 AM
The K&N's are half the thickness of the standard filter and are more breathable...you WILL notice better response low down....if not, sowwieee! :P
You've got the right idea there Jaimz, why get a standard one, when a better one is available...overall, it'll last you a good 100,000kms till you decide to change it again, so what's a few dollars in that respect?!

Subaru ETA
06-09-2006, 11:09 AM
i might be able to get one at trade price. i paid like $85 -$90 for mine...ill investigate!