PDA

View Full Version : Back Box

Funkstar
06-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Has anyone here fitted just a different back box other than changing the whole setup.

I have my car de-catted which has made a difference, but I still want to get a little more of a warble from the exhaust without having to go down the expensive route of changing the whole system. Not for the time being anyway.

I have been looking at universal, easy to fit one's on Ebay, but from looking at our exhausts there seems to be a bend straight after the back box before the first joint, which would make it pretty hard just to shove one on without some grinding and welding, of which the new "self sufficient" me is unable to do. :uhoh2:

Any ideas guys?? /notworthy

stuartturbo
06-09-2006, 07:57 PM
I have an HKS dragger style universal back box, I never bother to fit as i worked out by the time i got a custom pipework to suit as it needs a flange/lol it was not worth the outlay. Save for a system
As for a byspoke item i think you will struggle as HKS as have others have stopped making them and the system.
Custom one off is pretty much it,I have just fitted a blueflame but not yet run properly prob tomorrow and a run on sat up to yorkshire so will see if it drones

Kieran
06-09-2006, 10:02 PM
SGHOM originally had a Fujitsubo Legalis-R Evolution backbox on his VR-4. Then he sold it to Nick Mann - who then sold it to me for Hordak.

All three cars sounded great and there was a performance benefit on all.

However, the cost to get one new is monstrous! /help.

The Blueflame system that Stu's gone for seems very reasonably priced. If you want cheaper than that, a straight-through ebay job will do, but you may find it's nastily built and noisy.

The stock system is very restrictive though, so any other 'straight through' backbox, provided it's big enough will yield a performance benefit!

Funkstar
06-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Cheers guys. My main concern I think would be fitting. Did both of yours bolt straight onto the first joint or did you have to do any welding to get them to mate onto the original piping? Are they VR4 specific or just any 2.5" back box welded on? Thanks again.

Spirit
06-09-2006, 11:01 PM
The Fujitsubo Kieran mentioned and HKS Super Drager were both available as VR4 specifics if required - I have had the Drager on both my VR4's.......made to measure, simply attach to existing pipework

jerryd_33
06-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Yo Funkstar,
You heard of/tried Longlife at all?
Check them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give them a call.
They do / give online quotes.

www.longlife.co.uk

Funkstar
07-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Cheers Spirit, thought as much.

Great link there Jerry, thanks. Have poppped a quote in. Will let you all know the outcome.

Spirit
07-09-2006, 12:58 PM
White Lightning is having a cat-back fitted by Longlife today - I'm sure he will report back later

WildCards
07-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I have a Ralliart backbox on mine, which sounds lovely coupled to the de-cat.

It looks like this

http://www.poweraxel.com/ralliart/catalogue/legnum/1.html

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6369

Funkstar
07-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I have a Ralliart backbox on mine, which sounds lovely coupled to the de-cat.

It looks like this

http://www.poweraxel.com/ralliart/catalogue/legnum/1.html

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6369
[quote=rikward]Sports muffler VR4 only, 1, £360.45 / £343.28, All stainless double tube pipe (f110) image (http://www.poweraxel.com/ralliart/catalogue/legnum/1.html)
Sports muffler `99 model VR4 only, 1, £360.45 / £343.28, All stainless double tube pipe (f110)[quote]

Wow they are expensive. Could get a whole system for not much more than that.

Was thinking more around the 150 squids mark. May have to reconsider.

WildCards
07-09-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm sure you could if you went to a UK supplier. These have to come from Japland remember.

stuey
07-09-2006, 06:30 PM
i was thinking the same, have de-cat on standard system, wouldn't mind a little more noise, curious as to best/cost efficient way. Don't wanna spend loads either. may go whole stainless custon system in future. Didn't Caishan get one done for great deal ?

Nick VR4
07-09-2006, 07:28 PM
I got a full Stainless Steel fitted from the cat back at around £280 inc vat

Nick

stuey
07-09-2006, 08:31 PM
I got a full Stainless Steel fitted from the cat back at around £280 inc vat

Nick

COR THAT'S CHEAP FOR A CUSTOM SS EXHAUST. WHO BY ? 2.5 OR 3 INCH ? WANT A NICE SOUND, SORT OF BASSY, BUT NOT TOO LOUD TO ANNOY THE NEIGHBOURS.

Funkstar
07-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Got this reply from Longlife today and what a jolly nice bunch they sound too.

[quote]
Hi Deion,

Thanks for your enquiry. No problems with the Galant, we are used to rare imports here at longlife, I have a Skyline and my collegue has a Soarer, both more rare than a Ford Focus but not quite as rare as your VR-4... Nice car.

A custom build stainless exhaust system for your Mitsubishi VR-4 would usually run from the existing catalytic converter section through to the rear of the car. However we can fabricate a back box section alone, this is also priced up below. Included in the base system price would be a standard style 2.5" rolled lip style tailpipe. You can of course choose an alternative or upgrade from our extensive range of about 55 tailpipes if you wish.

Because all of our systems are custom built, you are able to tell us how you would like the car to sound, anywhere from quiet to full sport. The most popular choice is Mild Sport, which gives a slight note when you open the accelerator, yet without being intrusive.

The system is guaranteed for as long as you own the car, and this is a fully transferrable warranty. It's also a "No Hassle" warranty - we believe it is the very the best warranty in the industry.

If you are interested in technical specifications, the system is built in 304 grade stainless steel throughout, and assembled using high frequency TIG welding. All of our systems are built using freeflow technology, so your engine will breathe better than with conventional systems. This usually gives a noticeable improvement in the torque from your engine - particularly at lower revs. We have numerous testimonials from customers who have experienced both improved engine performance and fuel economy.

Fitting is by appointment - we usually require a vehicle like yours for around 3.5 hours while we custom build and fit the system. If you chose to wait with your car, we have waiting facilities with coffee and internet access. If it makes life easier, we may be able to make a courtesy car available while yours is with us. There is no charge for a courtesy car, but there is an age restriction. Alternatively, we are a few minutes walk from Carshalton Beeches station, from where a train will take you to London Victoria in about 40 minutes.

To custom build and fit a Longlife system onto your vehicle, the price (inclusive of VAT) with the 2.5" tailpipe option works out at £399. A rear box alone would come to £199.

I trust that this is of interest to you. If you want to book in, or require any further information, then please call either myself or Lisa French on 0870 600 3133.

We are based at 128 Stanley Park Road, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 3JG. We also have a centre on Queenstown Road in Battersea SW8 3NP.

Thanks for contacting us,
Regards,

Alex Hollo-Tas.
Longlife Exhausts [quote]

So they fit whilst you wait. Nice idea but not sure how feasible with me living in North Wales. Thought they may have a "ready made" option that they could courier out. I will enquire. Maybe if or when someone more local has one fitted, they may keep the fitting sizes on file for other VR-4 owners.

Gly
07-09-2006, 08:46 PM
i got a 3" Cat back Fujitsubo for $200NZ fitted :D
and a free 3" de-cat

Nick VR4
07-09-2006, 08:54 PM
COR THAT'S CHEAP FOR A CUSTOM SS EXHAUST. WHO BY ? 2.5 OR 3 INCH ? WANT A NICE SOUND, SORT OF BASSY, BUT NOT TOO LOUD TO ANNOY THE NEIGHBOURS.

2" nice rumbble not to loud little bassy when driving hard

Company is in St Annes near Blackpool called http://eurosportexhausts.co.uk/

stuey
08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
All sounds good, Blackpool bit of a way to go, Longlife also being in Battersea is interesting. (would cost me the difference in price in petrol !)
If I went ahead with one from Longlife, very hypathetically, they presumably could keep the VR4 Legnum pattern/mesurements for anyone else that wants one fitted or mail order from them....

Funkstar
08-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Just realised after reading Spirits post again, that WhiteLightening has had his full system fitted by these guys on his saloon.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18866

Hopefully they will have the fitment sizes sorted out for the saloon, but not sure how much this differs from your Leggy Stuey.

stuey
08-09-2006, 01:55 PM
I think we're all waiting for his pics and full report. I didn't realise it was them either... I'm not sure how different Galant/Legnum exhausts are, mounting points maybe ?

ritch_w
08-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Thought they may have a "ready made" option that they could courier out. I will enquire.

Camskill do a blue flame system for £350 (i think) off the shelf if that helps.

some one from here got one recently

stuartturbo
08-09-2006, 08:12 PM
That was me now used for a blat about not much of a run.
Louder than standard as it only has the 2 boxes fitted. seems to be quiter than some but this is hard to remeber..Wife did comment "is the car suppose to sound like that??"
The tell tail will be this weekend if it is too droney ( make a word up) on a long motorway run.
The fit did need some adjustment on the rear hanger.I have fitted some washers under the hanger where it mounts.But will put it right when it has settled a bit as it has moved since i first fitted it.
Come with everything needed gaskets etc
Welds are not the prettiest but up to the job

Will be on show at Japfest LOL so other can comment