PDA

View Full Version : ATF change...4th gear is not so smooth

scc
06-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I finally got round to changing the pale brown ATF. I filled it with Amsoil, and I just had enough to bring it up to the border of the hot/cold marks.

All seems well, but the change from 3rd to 4th seems to include a tiny jolt during the shift. The rough gear change wasn't there before.

Would a top up of ATF get rid of it?

Cheers,
scc

Kieran
06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Did you reset your transmission ECU by disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds?

If you did, give it a couple of miles as the ECU needs about 100/200 mile to 'learn' the gearbox's shifting characteristics.

If you didn't, then reset it and let it learn - I would hazard a guess that it's still calibrated for your knackered fluid and is set to drive the shifter solenoids pretty hard to effect a change (which you will feel now that super-slippery amsoil is in there).

Amsoil gets better with a few miles on it I've found, so don't panic yet!

amsoil
06-09-2006, 09:58 PM
The offers there as per my PM but autos can be very difficult beasts when they don't have the correct oil level. Certainly many modern boxes not only need the correct level but the correct oil at the correct temperature to be set up right. You will also need to run your car for a few hundred miles to let it learn or should that be relearn the correct way to change gear with your particular driving style. (you of course have already disconected the triptronic ECU to allow it to reset) The Amsoil synthetic ATF will also need a few hundred miles or more to remove the remaining gunge and varnishes that will be all around the gearboxes various valves and clutches. No one to my knowledge has ever been unhappy with Amsoil ATF, its that good.:thumbsup:

amsoil
06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
And I thought I was quick replying to this post! :shocked:
Well done K :chugchug:

Kieran
06-09-2006, 10:07 PM
And I thought I was quick replying to this post! :shocked:
Well done K :chugchug:

Well, your post does contain more detail to back up what I said - that's proper service for ya, that is! ;) :chugchug:

scc
06-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Did you reset your transmission ECU by disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds?

Oh poo. I totally forgot about that. Cheers K :D
Does that mean the ECU isn't clever enough to re-adjust without a reset?

The offers there as per my PM but autos can be very difficult beasts when they don't have the correct oil level.

Getting an accurate measure is actually quite hard with the ATF swirling around a running engine. The dip stick certainly shows too much when the car has been left standing cold.

The Amsoil synthetic ATF will also need a few hundred miles or more to remove the remaining gunge and varnishes that will be all around the gearboxes various valves and clutches. No one to my knowledge has ever been unhappy with Amsoil ATF, its that good.:thumbsup:
I dumped the sump twice, the second time I had to release some ATF because the sump was too full. Even though liquid on the dip stick was pink, the new stuff was dark red...still with bits of varnish etc. Sounds like I'll have to flush it again at sump (hehe) point.

Cheers
Scc

stuartturbo
06-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Getting an accurate measure is actually quite hard with the ATF swirling around a running engine. The dip stick certainly shows too much when the car has been left standing cold.

Scc
It will read high when cold and stopped it's ment to be checked on level ground warm and running.

Kieran
06-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Oh poo. I totally forgot about that. Cheers K :D
Does that mean the ECU isn't clever enough to re-adjust without a reset?

It will *eventually*... but it's quicker to reset it. That way it uses a 'default' shifting map and stays in 'learning' mode untill it's happy the shifts are as smooth as it's pre-programmed values say it should be. Otherwise, you have to wait for it to 'detect' the rough shifting and adjust (which could take a while).

amsoil
06-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I dumped the sump twice, the second time I had to release some ATF because the sump was too full. Even though liquid on the dip stick was pink, the new stuff was dark red...still with bits of varnish etc. Sounds like I'll have to flush it again at sump (hehe) point.

Bit confused by this?

If you are saying that you drained the sump twice then you are likely to still have about 25% old ATF in the system. If you pumped it out via the cooler pipes then you would have removed all the old ATF as per our learned K's articles :uhoh:

scc
06-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Bit confused by this?

If you are saying that you drained the sump twice then you are likely to still have about 25% old ATF in the system. If you pumped it out via the cooler pipes then you would have removed all the old ATF as per our learned K's articles :uhoh:

Yep drained twice. followed the article and pumped via the pipes too. The fluid did change from brown to bright pink after the first 2litres from the pipes which did leave me wondering...?

scc

amsoil
07-09-2006, 12:53 AM
Sounds like you had the wrong pipe; if I recall correctly K identified the wrong pipe in an early article. Best that article gets changed I think!

scc
09-09-2006, 11:53 PM
My my, what a difference! Added some more amsoil and reset the ecu and took it for a spin. Immediately you could feel a difference. Gear changes feels so smooth and the acceleration is just so so much better.

Thanks guys and thanks Mr Amsoil for importing such a great product!
Cheers,
scc

Kieran
10-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Great news that you're all fixed up!

And yes.... Amsoil Rocks!:D

amsoil
10-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks you for the approval and feedback.
The engine oils also make a similar difference but most people won't detect it quite so clearly.
Now when you thnk that overall the Best will also save you money....
I really, really must sort out a 'testimonials' section on the web site! :beerchug: