PDA

View Full Version : So what now re. car

Robotnik123
10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey Guys,

My car is back from the panelbeater and though I have not had a chance to look at it myself yet, it is as good as new, apparently.

Now the problem with my engine's head remains of course.

I thought I might as well reassess my options:

1. I have a replacement engine sitting in the garage ready for a swap. Should I go and reschedule a club meet to put the engine in?

It has been pointed out that I will need to get a cambelt and waterpump swap at some point and the best time to do this would be with the engine out of the car. A cambelt / wapterpump replacement is too complicated a task for the Club though isn't it?

2. I pay a mechanic to do the engine swap for me - I have been quoted $2400 to do this, including waterpump and cambelt.

3. I pay a mechanic to fix the head on my existing engine. I have been quoted $2500 to do this, including waterpump and cambelt.

What do you guys think?

Physician
10-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey Guys,

My car is back from the panelbeater and though I have not had a chance to look at it myself yet, it is as good as new, apparently.

Now the problem with my engine's head remains of course.

I thought I might as well reassess my options:

1. I have a replacement engine sitting in the garage ready for a swap. Should I go and reschedule a club meet to put the engine in?

It has been pointed out that I will need to get a cambelt and waterpump swap at some point and the best time to do this would be with the engine out of the car. A cambelt / wapterpump replacement is too complicated a task for the Club though isn't it?

2. I pay a mechanic to do the engine swap for me - I have been quoted $2400 to do this, including waterpump and cambelt.

3. I pay a mechanic to fix the head on my existing engine. I have been quoted $2500 to do this, including waterpump and cambelt.

What do you guys think?

It seems on the basic info provided that it's a no brainer .......... have the new engine fitted. Then have existing engine fixed and sell it to recoup some of the costs.

BTW - water pump and cambelt are not particularly complicated - just time consuming.

NZ$ 2,400 is about £820 and if you consider Mitsi in UK charge approx £700 for a cambelt change it isn't so bad.

Kieran
10-09-2006, 07:29 PM
I agree with Richard. The cambelt on the VR-4 is not as scary as many believe, having had first hand experience of one being a tooth out!:veryangry

What you will need, and don't even THINK about doing a cambelt without them, is a pair of camshaft locking tools. You see, when the VR-4 engine is lined up to it's timing marks, the rear bank is pressing open it's valves - so as soon as you slacken the belt off, the sprockets will spin if you're not ready for it!

bradc
10-09-2006, 08:27 PM
I think it is really difficult to make a decision.

We removed Kenneths engine and it was very difficult, even if we didn't need to disconnect everything and just chopped away a whole lot of vacuum tubing, and basically ripped it out. It may take two days to do it.

Something to consider as well is that we don't know the condition of your second engine, what happens if it has problems? I'd say it is probably easiest from your point of view to pay someone to do the head work and do the cambelt change at the same time.

You won't get much for the spare engine though, over here they are worth about $400-600, even if it had been fixed.

Robotnik123
11-09-2006, 12:02 AM
I think it is really difficult to make a decision.

We removed Kenneths engine and it was very difficult, even if we didn't need to disconnect everything and just chopped away a whole lot of vacuum tubing, and basically ripped it out. It may take two days to do it.

Something to consider as well is that we don't know the condition of your second engine, what happens if it has problems? I'd say it is probably easiest from your point of view to pay someone to do the head work and do the cambelt change at the same time.

Yeah, I need to think about this. I can always sell that spare engine.

dickytim
11-09-2006, 07:55 AM
I agree with Brad, this is a very complicated job and could quite easily be end up costing more to fix any accidental damage to the car or engine durin a swap by amatures.

Robotnik123
11-09-2006, 09:55 AM
I agree with Brad, this is a very complicated job and could quite easily be end up costing more to fix any accidental damage to the car or engine durin a swap by amatures.

Yeah, you've scared me now, haha. I suppose I'd better get a professional to either do the swap or the headwork.

The headwork is a better bet i guess. Oh well, anyone want to buy a spare 6A13TT? :)

Subaru ETA
11-09-2006, 10:16 AM
whats wrong with your head? crack or warped or something? if its cracked it could be an idea to use the heads off the spare engine... and the cambelt is a time consuming piece of crap! would be great if the engine was out when its done!