PDA

View Full Version : Currently getting some nasty engine noise..

Rikki
11-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Morning Folks,

Over the weekend I noticed a rather nasty noise coming from the engine bay. Now I havent narrowed it down yet but its certainly to do with the engine and/or the clutch. When the clutch is depressed the noise goes away. :stars:

The noise itself sounds like something getting chucked around the engine and really does not sound healthy. It did disappear for a moment when it had warmed up but it tends to come back at points. The car is due its service now anyways but I was just wanting to find out if this was gonna be serious or something.

amsoil
11-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Thats a symptom of a gearbox bearing failing I'm afraid.

Rikki
11-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Thats a symptom of a gearbox bearing failing I'm afraid.

You make that sound serious, is this expensive to repair/replace?

Kieran
11-09-2006, 09:03 AM
The V6 is known for eating it's input shaft bearings. My old V6 was getting noisy when I sold it (though the last I heard it was still going strong), and Paul Beazer has had the same problem.

Could also just be a clutch bearing maybe? :undecided

Rikki
11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
The V6 is known for eating it's input shaft bearings. My old V6 was getting noisy when I sold it (though the last I heard it was still going strong), and Paul Beazer has had the same problem.

Could also just be a clutch bearing maybe? :undecided

I had a search through the site for the problem and it appears to be a common on, and as "Amsoil" stated, gearbox bearing :(

Looks to be an expensive problem too. Does this mean I need a new gearbox etc?

amsoil
11-09-2006, 09:52 AM
I had a search through the site for the problem and it appears to be a common on, and as "Amsoil" stated, gearbox bearing :(

Looks to be an expensive problem too. Does this mean I need a new gearbox etc?

Not being an expert on your car I can only tell you about others, the bearings dont cost very much but ..... To fit the gearbox must come out and often the gearbox must be part dismantled (not always the case, (pun intended) ). So really if you need to give the car to someone to have it done the cost will be the labour which could be high dependant on time, expertise and labour rate.

I'm sure some of the chaps hee will know the exact score with the bearing. But get it done sooner rather than later.

Rikki
11-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Not being an expert on your car I can only tell you about others, the bearings dont cost very much but ..... To fit the gearbox must come out and often the gearbox must be part dismantled (not always the case, (pun intended) ). So really if you need to give the car to someone to have it done the cost will be the labour which could be high dependant on time, expertise and labour rate.

I'm sure some of the chaps hee will know the exact score with the bearing. But get it done sooner rather than later.

I miight be able to get my pal to dismantle the gearbox etc, the only thing being the bearing. do i buy these straight off Mits or do we have other sources?

ritch_w
11-09-2006, 12:33 PM
i'd imagine you will have to buy from mitsi or strip the part off get the bearing number and see if a bearing supplier can match it up for you, but that could take longer to get you back on the road.

have you searched the workshop manuals (in the members are) for the gearbox and tried to get the part number from there?

Paul Beazer
11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Deffo sounds like the sahft bearings are shafted. Mine (and others) have had very similar noises. Im pretty sure its the bearing telling you to get it replaced.
Mine made the noise, even when coasting in neutral.
Im guessing at about £500 to get it sorted. A new 'box will cost about £1k + fitting (Total £1.5k by Mitsi), which is the route i went down, mainly 'cos i budgeted this when buying the car and could afford it at the time.

Rikki
11-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Deffo sounds like the sahft bearings are shafted. Mine (and others) have had very similar noises. Im pretty sure its the bearing telling you to get it replaced.
Mine made the noise, even when coasting in neutral.
Im guessing at about £500 to get it sorted. A new 'box will cost about £1k + fitting (Total £1.5k by Mitsi), which is the route i went down, mainly 'cos i budgeted this when buying the car and could afford it at the time.

Cheers Paul, and everyone.
Ritch i couldnt find the part number, but then I am not too sure what I am looking for.
I phoned Mits, and the guy said it sounded like the shaft bearing (as you all mentioned) however it's going over on wednesday to get checked out. Ill just need to wait and see what the guy comes back and says. Its bl00dy typical too as its due its 99k service (£380) so it might need to get put on hold, or ill just get the oil change and sparks done just now. /Grrr

Rikki
11-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Is the FTO gearbox the same? Just I found this which came from here (http://www.umg.co.uk/admin/partspage.pl)

ritch_w
11-09-2006, 03:23 PM
i would reckon they are... Zentac would know for sure.... the autos are definitely transferrable.

have you tried camskill for the bearing? and get an independant garage to fit - will be miles cheaper than mitsi for the same job...

Rikki
11-09-2006, 03:55 PM
i would reckon they are... Zentac would know for sure.... the autos are definitely transferrable.

have you tried camskill for the bearing? and get an independant garage to fit - will be miles cheaper than mitsi for the same job...

i am considering talking to Phoenix honda at grangemouth Ritch as I know the head man, and currently they are offering deals to a cruise site i happen to a member of. However i will get a quote from my local as well, and ill phone camskill on wednesday after i find out for sure this is the problem. Cheers :D

Dan_G
11-09-2006, 06:42 PM
My VR4 has developed a similar noise, which is a worry, but does not go away when I depress the clutch.

because your noise goes away when you depress the clutch its could easily be the thrust bearing.

psbarham
11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
My VR4 has developed a similar noise, which is a worry, but does not go away when I depress the clutch.

because your noise goes away when you depress the clutch its could easily be the thrust bearing.
that was my take on it , does the pedal feel rumbley?

Paul Beazer
11-09-2006, 08:38 PM

Complete Hijack, but Dan, since when was Paris in the UK! You'll start Kieran off....../GJ

Paul Beazer
11-09-2006, 08:41 PM
that was my take on it , does the pedal feel rumbley?

For the sake of arguement here, surely if it was the release bearing it would only make a noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, as thats when its loaded.
The thrust bearing would make a noise as long as the gearbox shafts are moving, when you depress the cluch, no engine rotation is being transferred to the gearbox, so the noise stops.
Or am i just misunderstanding the terms of reference?:huh:

Dan_G
11-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Complete Hijack, but Dan, since when was Paris in the UK! You'll start Kieran off....../GJ

ok ok, i thought about that.... MY location is Paris..... however MY country on the other hand is most definitley the UK.... not this place.. no chance!

this place is most definitley a country but think of it spelt a little a little differently....(i.e take away the 'o' from CUoNTREE.... you know, its where c*nts grow!.... like leaves)

psbarham
11-09-2006, 08:53 PM
For the sake of arguement here, surely if it was the release bearing it would only make a noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, as thats when its loaded.
The thrust bearing would make a noise as long as the gearbox shafts are moving, when you depress the cluch, no engine rotation is being transferred to the gearbox, so the noise stops.
Or am i just misunderstanding the terms of reference?:huh:the cluth pressure plate is conected to the flywheel which is turning with the engine this is the bit the release bearing runs on , the pressure plate is conected to the gearbox imput shaft and is sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate when the clutch pedal is pressed it pulls the friction surface of the pressure plate away from the friction plate breaking the drive
make sense ????????????

Paul Beazer
11-09-2006, 09:04 PM
the cluth pressure plate is conected to the flywheel which is turning with the engine this is the bit the release bearing runs on , the pressure plate is conected to the gearbox imput shaft and is sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate when the clutch pedal is pressed it pulls the friction surface of the pressure plate away from the friction plate breaking the drive
make sense ????????????
Yep, was thinkning @rse about face. For some reason i had it my head the pressure plate etc was fixed! Why??:rifle:

Rikki
13-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Ok just back from Mits. He was reluctant to say what the problem is as he didnt take the gearbox apart and he says he wont know for sure till he does - but in order to do that its 4.5 hours @ £52/hour + VAT..... and thats only to get the box out and checked /help

He did however say it sounds like the first motion shaft bearing (as most mentioned) and that you cant just replace the bearing, need to replace the seals etc so he is sending me a quote later listing everything that needs done and a price. On a slightly more happier side, he said its not as bad as he has heard before so it might last a wee while yet.

On another note, its 99k service which is due will cost £145 total, from Mits! Not as bad as I quoted previously.

Rikki
15-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Quote from Mits...

At MOST, £1000! £550+VAT labour, £300+VAT parts /JawDroppi

Although he did say thats for all the bearings (i.e. worst case scenario) but even if its just one bearing, the labour will be almost identical - so guess who is not getting the job then /Grrr

Paul Beazer
15-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Quote from Mits...

At MOST, £1000! £550+VAT labour, £300+VAT parts /JawDroppi

Although he did say thats for all the bearings (i.e. worst case scenario) but even if its just one bearing, the labour will be almost identical - so guess who is not getting the job then /Grrr
Its "only" £1500 for a new 'box fitted!