PDA

View Full Version : Things are looking up!!

Mart
11-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Well Legnum ownership is looking more and more likely!

Just thought i'd get some insurance quotes this morning to see if i have a chance of gettin one.

I'm 24, work for a bank, married, homeowner, 7 years no claims, involved in 1 accident last year where my mitsi fto gpx was written off by an old boot in a micra!! no convictions. Had experience of performance cars (1 year of fto, 1 year of nissan skyline), best quote came out at £680 per year fully comp on a £5000 leggie vr4 with a cat 1 and no mods.

Thats not too bad as far as i'm concerned, its only £170 more than my hilux surf is costing me, so insurance isn't an excuse not to have one.

So long as i can get more than 18mpg when driving the legnum gently (which i will do when i have the Great dane in the boot (will a great dane fit in the boot?)), it looks like i may be getting one in the next couple of months.

woohoo!!!

Mart

WildCards
11-09-2006, 11:11 AM
My dads Bernese Mountain Dog fits in his boot, and Great Dane's aren't that much bigger so yes, i'd of thought so.

Good news the pennies will stretch to ownership. 18mpg is achievable i'm told.

Physician
11-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi Mart,

Good luck with sourcing a VR4 - plenty of good ones around.

You should easily return 18 mpg ....... I just did a 3,000 mile trip around Europe and returned 25.45 mpg. My daughter kept meticulous records and it quite surprised me as we were regularly doing over 100 mph on autobahns etc.

Don't know about a great dane as I have the saloon - had a great swede in the back seat once ;) but ............. my best guess is it will easily fit in a Leggy.

ritch_w
11-09-2006, 12:28 PM
make sure you try Lifesure and SKY for quotes as I havent found anyone to beat them yet (sub £400 region!) and that included mods

Mart
28-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Ok, i've check those places for quotes, and they can't come close.

Now i've found a car that seems a bit too good to be true.

Its a 96 p reg with 43000 miles on the clock. nice alloys. i think its a type s (though not sure yet) cloth trim (which is what i'd rather). it was taken in part ex, so is being sold with no warranty etc, but is for sale for £3500.

only problem is i must sell my current car for the same price or more if to buy it now (don't have to sell my car yet as can get a short term loan to cover in the mean time), car is at the other end of the country, but my bro lives in the same town, so i'm sending him to have a look at it this lunch time to check to see if it looks dodgy etc.

The other problem is the wife of 1 month has threatened to leave me if i change my car again!!!

WHAT DO I DO!!

does that sound like a good price?

Mart

Nick VR4
28-09-2006, 11:54 AM
seems a bit low the price dunno

I would check what service history is like plus at 45k its due a cambelt change and this can get ££££££ depends where you take it Mits garage around £600-£900

Spirit
28-09-2006, 11:56 AM
It's a very good price, just make sure you check it over good.

Could be, as Nick says, due to the cambelt etc due soon.....but they may just want to shift it on quick

Mart
28-09-2006, 12:09 PM
He does want to shift it on, as he doesn't touch imports normally (so he says) and doesn't want to worry about parts etc, hence why its being treated as a private sale (and hence the price).

also concerns me that it has a "speedball 2006" sticker on the boot. sort of makes alarm bells ring! my bro has just called to say he's gonna go and check it out. check for any blue smoke on start up etc, and signs of it being thrashed. is there anyone through here that can do the cam belt? if i get it, obviously i'd become a fully paid up member in an instant!

Mart

Mart
28-09-2006, 12:18 PM
One last thing, will i fit in it ok being 6'5"?? i know i was a bit cosey in the fto and more so in the skyline! the fto was ok cos i only needed one leg, and i'll only need one leg in a leggie which is a bonus i guess. i just know they make the jap car quite small for the drivers (not being racist, just know from experience!

Mart

Mart
28-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Right,

Just spoke to my bro who went to the place who's selling it during his lunch break. The place is actually a bodyshop and repray centre, with a few dodgy looking cars for sale on the front. He didn't have chance to see the legnum as it was locked up round the back, but then he didn't have chance to ask the guys inside for look cos had to get back to work.

I'll come clean - the car is the silver one on e-bay.

are there any owner in Exeter who fancy going to have a look for me? I know its a HUGE long shot, but worth a try eh!! i'd go an have a gander myself, but its a bit of a treck from Cheshire.

Thinkin about it, i've still not even seen a galant or legnum close up yet, and the auction ends in 3 days! anyone free near cheshire during the daytime so i can pop over to see a legnum and see if i cn fit in one?

The nearest garage that has one for sale is in Leeds, the dreaded KTC!

cheers and sorry to go on,

Mart

Lillywotsername
28-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Where abouts in Cheshire are you Mart? We are just the other side of Stoke if you want to come and have a gander at our Leggie.

TBH alot of peeps will be very busy this weekend as most are travelling up tomorrow from down that way to go to JF2.... So if you want to take us up on the offer of seeing ours feel free to PM me or Richy Rich

ritch_w
28-09-2006, 02:17 PM
this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mitsubishi-legnum-vr4-2-5-twin-turbo-estate_W0QQitemZ300032146141QQihZ020QQcategoryZ182 30QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

looks ok in the pics.

I know this has been said many times, but cars unknown to club need to inspected carefully - there are as many nice ones we dont know about as bad ones.
proof of servicing is worth the piece of mind, but this can be difficult to quantify on the independantly imported prefacelifts, some have jap & uk servicing, some dont, so do and its been binned then clocked......
so it could be a peach or it could be a pig - dont panic buy as it probably wont see £3K on ebay. There are loads out there - just be careful.

have you been through the for sale section here? - and i mean right through it - go back up to 10 pages (theres loadsa sh*te in there too...)

might be worth trying to find a club member with a bit of knowledge near you / the car, to look at it for you and get an honest 2nd opinion????

GroundControl
28-09-2006, 02:21 PM
One last thing, will i fit in it ok being 6'5"??
I'm 6'6" and I fit comfortably in my leggie, so you shouldn't have a problem :)

i'll only need one leg in a leggie
Not if you get the better sort of transmission :D /STP

Paul Beazer
28-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Im 6'5" and fit in mine ok! You have to drive with your legs open to get either side of the steering wheel, but i dont have any issues banging my head!

Mart
28-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Cheers guys n gals,

I can't remember a time when i haven't driven with my legs open!! My first car was renault clio, and somehow i fit in that! Can someone still fit behind you tall people?

If there was someone near the car in Exeter that could take a look, that'd be ideal! I'm not gonna panic buy, i think i'll watch the bidding go run and see what happens, unless someone can check it out for me?

cheers for your input, if its a good un i don't want to pass up the opportunity and spend an extra £1500 for a lesser car in a months time.

Mart

ritch_w
28-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Mart your gonna have to budget £1K to £1500 regardless of what you buy, especially with no history, you'll be advised to do a full engine service, Autobox, AYC, transfer diff etc fluids (AMSOIL is the oil(s) of choice here ;) ) cambelt, aux belts, plugs, filters etc etc and have some £££ left over for any other wee issues that emerge

have you phoned Mo (Zedy1) to see what he has in stock?

Nick Mann
28-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Talk to Mo - Galant Spares banner or mini-site on here. Also goes by the name of Zedy1 on here. He sells cars when he has them, and is more reputable than most dealers!

Get to Castle Donington on saturday, or Leicester on saturday night. You will find plenty of VR4's to look at!!

Mart
28-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Hows about the WRD guys?

They're only half an hour down the road from me, and if they do all the servicing lark that'd eb ideal!

Mart

ritch_w
28-09-2006, 04:24 PM
WRD are your boys for servicing, Mo is your man for cars and spares

Mart
28-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Thats fine, if they'd be capeable of doing the cam belt that'd be great!!

otherwise its just as handy to have someone down the road to do the regular servicing that whichever legnum i get would need.

cheers,

Mart

Si.
28-09-2006, 05:02 PM
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your insurance quote from then?

And welcome to the club by the way! /Wave

Mart
28-09-2006, 06:33 PM
no worries!

its from a-plan who's my current insurer for the hilux.

cheers,

Mart

MyTrustedVR4
28-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the club and the very best of luck sourcing the new car!!

You could also try 2Gether financial services ask for Gary, got me a good deal on insurance on my VR4. http://www.2getherifa.co.uk/insurance_quote.htm or 0870 766 2308

I found these guys thro the Pajero Owners Club

Mart
29-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Well i think the dabate has been answered and someone else has bought the car!!

whats not meant to be is not meant to be i guess.

cheers guys

Mart

Mart
29-09-2006, 01:10 PM
The car is indeed sold.

But i have just tracked down and spoken to the previous owner (not the garage who are selling it).

Turns out it did infact WIN the Speedball Rally this year, topping 160mph on the way!

It has been used to tow his trikes occasionally, but is in good mechanical condition with oil changes every 3000 miles. He did say he has covered alot of miles in it though, which make me wonder how easy it is to clock one of these cars? (not saying it has, just wondering).

anyway, i've missed out on this one, but perhaps for the best.

Mart