PDA

View Full Version : idle and MPG probs

creepylonghair
11-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi All,
Got a problem with my 02 2.0 Classic (Sport?)

The problems started a few weeks ago when my MPG went crazy, I've only been getting around 250 to 280 miles from a full tank (not funny when you don't get a VR4 due to running costs:furious3: ), performance didn't seem to be affected and there's been no petrol smells etc.

Anyway I've reset the ECU a couple of times, changed the plugs and had an oil change (neither were due) but MPG was still the same.

Been meaning to get it booked into the dealers to get it checked but haven't got round to it and this week it's got worse.
First the engine refused to tick over (again performance once moving doesn't seem to have been affected) and this morning after starting the tickovers gone mental, first it was bouncing between 1k and 2.5k, just started her now and it's stopped bouncing but is hovering over the 1k to 1.5k mark.
Also the emissions light has come on.

Checked all of the leads n plugs and all seems ok, I did notice that unplugging the fag packet sized box just after where the air filter connects didn't seem to make any difference...surely it should?

Anyway sorry for the long post, just wondered if anyone had any ideas before it goes to the dealers and they rob me blind, as you can probably tell I'm pretty clueless with motors.
Or better still if there's anyone in the Yorkshire (west) area that could sort it (I'd rather throw money at anyone than the dealers).

Thanks in advance.

John

Nutter_John
11-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi John

Try giving Richy Rich a shout at WRD they should be able to sort you out

Just search for wrd and you will find them

Cheers John

psbarham
11-09-2006, 06:35 PM
dodgy vaccum hose , or possibly the idle control solenoid but i don't think that would send the tickover that high

g6acb
11-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Hello /Welcome .... another West Yorkshire based 16v owner!.....

I'd start looking at the idle stepper motor , running some injector cleaner or the foam you spray into the intake wouldn't harm either

Checking for fault codes from the ecu would also be a good place to start

Maybe you could get Mitsu to do a diagnostic with a MUT-11 if you don' t know how to extract codes from the ecu yourself....

.... details of how to do this are in the Members article section - if your are thinking its not worth it as you don't have a VR-$ , I can assure you there is a wealth of knowledge of all flavours of Galant here, and none of that 'looking down on the slower car' stuff you get on other sites

Nick VR4
11-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi John

Try giving Richy Rich a shout at WRD they should be able to sort you out

Just search for wrd and you will find them

Cheers John

http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=wrd?1 more info

creepylonghair
11-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks all for the replies, have heard good things about WRD but they're about 2 hours from me /Hissy

Another thing I've noticed tonight is if i put the clutch in while coasting the tickover bounces like mad between 1.5k and 2k but then when I stop it stops bouncing and hovers around 2k...weird.

Anyway I'll be joining tomorrow and might have a look at reading the fault codes myself..bound to end in tears tho.

Thanks again all.

John

p.s. g6acb where are you in W.Yorks m8..might have seen you about?

Paul Beazer
11-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Dodgy oxygen sensor on the exhaust perhaps?
MAF (air intake meter) up the spout? What about the air filter, has it been replaced? How about without the filter in there for a short drive?
Fuel filter been replaced? Not sure of replacement interval (its 54k for the V6-24, not sure about the 2.0l, sorry)
Oh is it manual or auto?
It sounds like the fuelling going wrong somewhere, although i could be talking cr@p!

g6acb
11-09-2006, 08:28 PM
p.s. g6acb where are you in W.Yorks m8..might have seen you about?

Depends what day it is.... either in the sticks between Bradford and Halifax or East Leeds

On the M62 so much I should pay council tax!

Wodjno
11-09-2006, 09:02 PM
I'd go for the same as Paul B ! Faulty Oxygen Sensor at first guess ! And WRD being 2hrs away, i wouldn'y see that as a problem ! More of a benefit ! 2hr drive to them would be well worth it and finacially more economic than taking it somewhere, where the mechanics ain't got a clue :huh:

Kieran
11-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Dodgy oxygen sensor on the exhaust perhaps?
MAF (air intake meter) up the spout? What about the air filter, has it been replaced? How about without the filter in there for a short drive?
Fuel filter been replaced? Not sure of replacement interval (its 54k for the V6-24, not sure about the 2.0l, sorry)
Oh is it manual or auto?
It sounds like the fuelling going wrong somewhere, although i could be talking cr@p!

I concur with the above.

richy rich
11-09-2006, 10:26 PM
I concur with the above.
exactly what do you concur with K is it "although i could be talking cr@p!"

Kieran
11-09-2006, 10:50 PM

/Nuuu

richy rich
11-09-2006, 11:10 PM
/haz

creepylonghair
12-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I also suspect it's the oxygen sensor, as I said I unplugged it while it was ticking over and it made no difference at all (assuming it's the fag packet sized black box just after the air filter).

Just waiting for my account to be setup at the mo (just sent my cheque off) and I might have a stab at reading the fault codes....if not I'll probably be going to WRD with her.

By the way she's just done 40k and I'm sure I've read somewhere that 40k is about the lifespan of the air sensor?

Many thanks again for the replies fellas!

John

Kieran
12-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I also suspect it's the oxygen sensor, as I said I unplugged it while it was ticking over and it made no difference at all (assuming it's the fag packet sized black box just after the air filter).

No - the Oxygen sensor is in the exhaust. What you've disconnected is the MAF (Airflow) sensor.... However, you might have already narrowed it down somewhat anyway if the car is no different with it unplugged.

Paul Beazer
12-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Oi! You starting?

Paul Beazer
12-09-2006, 07:33 PM
No - the Oxygen sensor is in the exhaust. What you've disconnected is the MAF (Airflow) sensor.... However, you might have already narrowed it down somewhat anyway if the car is no different with it unplugged.
If the MAF is disconnected on idle it wont make a lot of difference as the air being consumed by the engine isnt really changing. The MAF just measures the flow of air through it and the ECU adapts the fuelling to ensure the correct mix, yes?

richy rich
12-09-2006, 07:36 PM
As k said if you disconnect the MAF the revs should do what you are describing.

richy rich
12-09-2006, 07:42 PM
If the MAF is disconnected on idle it wont make a lot of difference
i disagree if you unplug the MAF the rev's will go up and down all over the place mainly wanting to cut out.

Paul Beazer
12-09-2006, 07:43 PM
i disagree if you unplug the MAF the rev's will go up and down all over the place mainly wanting to cut out.
Maybe his MAF is foobarred then, if he disconnected it and it made no difference.

richy rich
12-09-2006, 07:50 PM
yes as k said

psbarham
12-09-2006, 08:59 PM
at a constant tick over (no a/c etc) mine will tick over quiet well , as soon as you try to rev it it will go spazzy . thats why i always double check the MAF plug after doing anything on that side of the engine bay , it saves 1/2 an hour of head scratching and embarrassment

Kieran
12-09-2006, 11:45 PM
....as soon as you try to rev it it will go spazzy...

That's a proper technical term right there!:D

psbarham
13-09-2006, 05:55 PM
That's a proper technical term right there!:Di didn't spend years of my life doing an apprenticeship not to learn some technical terms :rolleyes4

Wodjno
13-09-2006, 05:59 PM
i didn't spend years of my life doing an apprenticeship not to learn some technical terms :rolleyes4

I can confirm that Paul knows Plenty more Technical terms, i the same calibre as Spazzy :2thumbsup

psbarham
13-09-2006, 06:03 PM
I can confirm that Paul knows Plenty more Technical terms, i the same calibre as Spazzy :2thumbsup
why thankyou young wodg , hows the pug after it went t1ts up?(see sneaked another one in)

Wodjno
13-09-2006, 06:07 PM
why thankyou young wodg , hows the pug after it went t1ts up?(see sneaked another one in)

Running spot on Young PS ! Although i can't gain access to the car via the rear doors :huh2: But th:huh2: ats a minor issue !

psbarham
13-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Running spot on Young PS ! Although i can't gain access to the car via the rear doors :huh2: But th:huh2: ats a minor issue !
thats because its a 3 door and doesn't have fancy hidden handles like an alfa 147:rolleyes4

creepylonghair
19-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Just a quick update, did the fault code thing just now and it's saying there's no faults stored...the emissions warning light is still on though so how can there be no fault codes stored?:rolleyes4

The tickover problem seems to be sorting itself out slowly but MPG is still dire.

John

Stezie
20-09-2006, 04:01 PM
don't know if this helps!!

I had the 2.0 galant sport last year, seriously bad MPG - as it never ever seen over 24mpg! I went to the local mitsi dealer and asked about the fuel filter being clogged, apparenty there is none on the 2.0ltr! There is a filter type bag in the tank at the fuel pump - and it should never be changed - so I was told! I was told to live with the fuel ecomomy as the 2.0ltrs where known to be bad.

I sold the car - and tried to buy back my 1995 1.8 glsi galant, which was alot quicker and still managed almost 40mpg, but the guy liked my galant too much!!

creepylonghair
20-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Cheers Stezie, don't think it's a fuel problem though as the emissions light comes on for a few days when it plays up.
Tickover's now back to the usual 750Rpm, too soon to tell if the MPG is still bad though, pretty sure it will be /Grrr .

To be honest I'd be happy with 25 MPG at the mo as I worked out the other day I was getting around 18, doesn't seem to make any difference if I drive like me hair's on fire or if I dawdle about either.

John

I-S
21-09-2006, 10:33 PM
I had the 2.0 galant sport last year, seriously bad MPG - as it never ever seen over 24mpg! ... I was told to live with the fuel ecomomy as the 2.0ltrs where known to be bad.

I have averaged over 30mpg in 39000 miles in my automatic 2.0 GLS.

g6acb
21-09-2006, 10:50 PM
I have averaged over 30mpg

me too :2thumbsup

manual 2.0 16v , very rarely fill up before 400 miles... best ever was 502 but that was scary

Averaging 32 / 33 when not lugging mountain bikes arround on the roof but that does include quite a lot of m'way driving

However this is still pretty poor when compared to the likes of veeDub / Audi FSI engines