PDA

View Full Version : Manual boxes

merlinsnowizard
06-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi all,

New to the site, but loving the cars, and pictures...!

Has anyone ever heard of a manual saloon version of the VR4. All the ones I have seen appear to be automatic / tiptronic!

Thoughts on a soggy beer mat to the usual address.

Merlin

Nick Mann
06-11-2003, 02:00 PM
They exist, but they are rare.

If you have a look under Articles / Specifications under the header, you can see details of the different VR-4 setups available.

Welcome, and good luck hunting for your VR4!

Simon
06-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Manuals are available but rare. The newer the car...the less likely it is to have a manual box. Mitsubishis reasoning behind this is "most" stereotypical people who bought these cars new were highly paid executives who dont want the bother of a manual box......too much work..like big Merc's/BMW etc..there second reason was if someone wants the thrill of a manual they suggest customers buy an Evo!.

Nick VR4
06-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Yes AFAIK Barry aka BraindG has a Manual Saloon VR4
But unfortunalty its a sick puppy
Should be back on the road soon :)

:welcome: to the club
We have a members section feel free to read click url below

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/view.php?s=&pg=joincvr4

BraindG
06-11-2003, 02:08 PM
When i bought mine, a manual was one of the prerequisites - added a few weeks to getting one.. but - imho, worth the wait.

zedy1
06-11-2003, 05:49 PM
wlecome to the club m8 . they r a few manuals but mainly triptronic

Kieran
06-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Tiptronic = Good! :thumbsup:

Manual = Bad!!! :thumbsdow

:devil5:

(If that doesn't kick things off, nothing will:biglaugh: )

BraindG
06-11-2003, 08:34 PM
once (if) my car gets going.. ill take you out some time.. might just change your mind :)

Kieran
06-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Cheers for the offer :)

But I'm a lost cause with manual boxes - In fact, on such a powerful car, I would not buy it if it was a manual - Tooo scary!
I can't even say that I find manuals more fun... not with tiptronic and kickdown on the auto!:devil2:

My view is why do the hard work, when the INVECS will do it for you, usually makes a good job of it, and allows you to override it if things go awry using the tiptronic?...

SGHOM
06-11-2003, 08:44 PM
manual cars, 3 pedals, & only two legs. :nono: not a good combination !! auto's on the other hand, 2 pedals, & 2 legs, problem solved !! right foot = loud pedal, left foot = panic button. & auto's are just as fast as manuals, in the right hands.

zedy1
06-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by BraindG
once (if) my car gets going.. ill take you out some time.. might just change your mind :)

already drove one must say alot more g force but cant say much about the speed though

Nick VR4
06-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Kieran
Cheers for the offer :)

But I'm a lost cause with manual boxes - In fact, on such a powerful car, I would not buy it if it was a manual - Tooo scary!

You and me both Kieran :D
I busted my ankle years and years ago before taking driving test
And had a nightmare trying to control a clutch
Leg use to shake trying to hold the clutch on bite ;)
Ended up taking lessons in a auto had about 8 lessons and passed test
Drove Auto's ever since more years them i care to remember :)
Ok I drive the odd manual car is really needed but hate it
Get sharp pains in laft ankle aftet about 20 mins driving :Cry1:
And tend to forget to change gear and wonder why the engine is screaming :eek:

Darren
06-11-2003, 11:07 PM
I'm not impressed by the manual gear galant.I just don't think it's a quality box. The poor bloke who got mine will find that 2nd is very flakey in the winter.

zedy1
06-11-2003, 11:12 PM
all mitsy wat ive had have a crunch when you engage from 3rd to 2nd

Spirit
07-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Must admit I had my doubts about the autobox when we bought ours but now we think its great - makes life so easy and Sharon loves it to bits. Still got me manual Mondeo during the week so makes a nice change at the weekends :D

And can't knock the perfornance it gives too :D

Nimma
07-11-2003, 03:00 AM
You boring bunch of old men!!! :p

The manuals are great fun, the box is very good (same set as the EVO 5 I think?) and I'm glad I have one. Also get the full 205kW without having to wait for the facelift type s. Don't have to worry about trans coolers when upping the power either :D

KiwiTT
07-11-2003, 03:14 AM
Nimma: You coming to the Auckland Museum ?

Spirit
07-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Nimma

That has to be a contradiction of terms :Ponder: BORING and drives a VR4 ? (will give you old though in my case :D )

Nick VR4
07-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Nimma

Old yes ;)
Boring NEVER :nono: :D

vrfour
07-11-2003, 12:57 PM
I have a manual 1998 model, which being the "series one" also came with AYC. Spent six months looking for one at auctions in Japan, and finally found it.

I've never driven an auto, but I suspect the motor would be better suited to it, as the turbos are reasonably small, so offer a good midrange but drop off at high revs. The INVECS probably does a better job of keeping the motor in the "meaty range", if that makes sense.

Oh, and with 70,000km on the odometer, I'm doing my first clutch change (over $2000AUD - I think that'd be over 700 pounds in UK money) - eek!

One last point - no auto can evere replace the shove of a 6000rpm launch from a manual... (see last paragraph for negative aspects of this technique!)

EdmundVR4
07-11-2003, 01:29 PM
The 5 speed manual gearbox in the VR4 is excellent & same as used in the EVO 4,5,6&7. After driving automatic transmission cars for years, it was a pleasure to return to manual gearbox in 1999 when I bought my first VR4 (7G). I've driven several tiptronic trans VR4's & they are nice but just don't have the reflexes of the manual. My only request for the manual is a 6th gear for highway cruising.

vrfour, the 3rd gen RX7 uses the same ACT clutch disc as the VR4....should be easy to get and inexpensive.

BraindG
07-11-2003, 02:26 PM
i couldnt agree more with the 6th gear!... cruising at 90/100 you can just see the petrol go down :(

Brind
07-11-2003, 07:49 PM
I've always had manual cars, even pretty powerful manual cars.
The first auto I had driven was a big old 5 litre Merc and it was really strange as anyone who has driven a manual car will know, as soon as you change gear.. you ease off the throttle at least once as crusing speed, but with the auto you have to keep your foot there and keep pushing for it to change up and that is so strange!!!! well it's not but it is completely different to a manual.

Deep down I'm a painfully lazy bastard!!! and I've always wanted an auto so I can carry on being lazy and what with the traffic of nowdays and ****e road layouts it makes more sense.

The Tiptronic is so good as it is like a normal automatic but it can learn, and feels different again from a normal auto and it also only does what it wants to do so really it knows pretty much the best performance ranges.
Put your foot down at a certain speed and it knows to drop down and how many cogs.

vrfour
07-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by EdmundVR4

vrfour, the 3rd gen RX7 uses the same ACT clutch disc as the VR4....should be easy to get and inexpensive.

Aarrgggh! I only discovered this forum today, and bought the clutch a few weeks ago!

For those of you not Australian (i.e. all of you) the Diamante most of you probably know is called the Magna in Australia, and is available in manual form. I found out the manual Magna also uses the same clutch plate as the VR-4.

Mitsubishi Oz found it too hard to import parts for my car (the local manufacturers here in Australia don't like the "grey import" scheme, even if it has been personally imported like mine).

So, given that I have been importing all the parts myself through Mitsubishi NZ, I was very happy to find that I could use a part that was manufactured and available locally...until they told me the price! It was cheaper to import a clutch plate from NZ, even allowing for import duties and tax.

zedy1
08-11-2003, 01:49 AM
i think the msanual is better at the top end speed u get alot more out of the engine on the way back home i didnt relised id hit 50+50+50 mph :D

Kieran
08-11-2003, 10:36 AM
True. Manuals are better for top end, and they are certainly more 'direct' in feel - witness the figures for the GLS:

Manual: 131mph, 0-60 in 9.7 secs

Auto: 124mph, 0-60 in 11.2secs

But auto's still the way to go;)

merlinsnowizard
10-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks to all,

It appears that I have sparked off a sizable debate on the matter...:D
I be honest, the guy that posts here as PeterEarnest is a good mate, and I have ridden in his Legnum VR4. He doesn't want to add any toys, as the gearbow will eat up with extra power, and wear out the parts.
I would rather get a manual, and be able to a twin plate clutch to handle the planned power upgrades...:D :D :D

Those of you that were at Japfest will remember me, as I drove up with Pete, as his car was in the shop. I think he got it back last week..:eek:

Thanks for all help

Merlin

Nick VR4
10-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Adding a Twin Clutch plate is good
But reading all the posts on the MLR about clutches burning out
It seems as long as you don't try and launch the car from a stand still hard
The clutch will last unfortunately to many guys with EVO's are burning clutches out like no tomorrow
One guy spent £1200 on a new clutch only to go the santa pod and after 5 runs
Burnt the clutch out

zedy1
10-11-2003, 11:01 PM
so the autos more practical :D

KiwiTT
10-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by vrfour
...until they told me the price! It was cheaper to import a clutch plate from NZ, even allowing for import duties and tax.

How much difference ?

stonegr
11-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by EdmundVR4
The 5 speed manual gearbox in the VR4 is excellent & same as used in the EVO 4,5,6&7. After driving automatic transmission cars for years, it was a pleasure to return to manual gearbox in 1999 when I bought my first VR4 (7G). I've driven several tiptronic trans VR4's & they are nice but just don't have the reflexes of the manual. My only request for the manual is a 6th gear for highway cruising.

My VR4 is the auto and i am interesting to make it manual. So... the EVO's gearbox fits on ours VR4's ??? Becase is hard to find the manual gearbox of VR4! EVOs is easier!
:Ponder:

FTOLTD
11-11-2003, 01:29 AM
i know where there is a manual gearbox and all the bits needed to do a conversion even has the instrument cluster.

EdmundVR4
11-11-2003, 02:02 AM
My VR4 is the auto and i am interesting to make it manual. So... the EVO's gearbox fits on ours VR4's ??? Becase is hard to find the manual gearbox of VR4! EVOs is easier!
As far as I know, the model code of the VR4's 5 speed manual gearbox is W5M51. This is the same as the EVO 4,5,6 & 7. However, I believe the 1st & 2nd gear ratios are different on the EVO gearboxes & 3rd,4th & 5th are the same ratio.
Ed

merlinsnowizard
11-11-2003, 10:06 PM
So to sum up, those that have manual like manual and those that like auto have auto.
Aedy, I seem to recall that you have some serious power going through the auto box. How is it liking the power. I know for example that the Supra's once past 500 bhp have to have the auto box upgraded, so is that the case for the VR-4s as well.

Any experiences please?

merlinsnowizard
11-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Sorry that should be Zedy:arse:

zedy1
11-11-2003, 10:22 PM
every thing seems cool so far m8

merlinsnowizard
12-11-2003, 01:55 PM
I take it you got over your problems at Japfest with the power steering?

newsboyben
14-03-2004, 12:00 AM
I recently bought a 97 vr4 putting out around 350 hp @1bar......the triptonic shat it 's self at 68km.....and when sourcing a new trans i came across a manual box with a triple plate 1000hp pull clutch....and did the conversion....after experiencing the same car with both options the manual is far more superior in everyway...and the BOV sounds like it should...the car ran a 13.8 with the triptonic...and am expecting a mid/low 13 with the new box...the launches are amazing.....its even better with traction control and abs disabled..........

valmes
14-03-2004, 05:10 AM
I opted for manual. Had a chance to compare since.
Manual = faster, but more expensive to maintain (I am also in for a clutch change right now)
Auto = more convenient and comfortable (some autos, as I have posted before had ¼ times of 12,65...)