PDA

View Full Version : Auto Express have there EVO nicked

Nick VR4
06-11-2003, 02:35 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/

Pics and story on right hand side Long Term Tests

Mitsubishi Evo VIII
t's early August, and our brand new Mitsubishi Evo VIII FQ-300 is missing. Where its bright yellow bodywork once sat in the street, there's now a huge gap. It's a serious shock, and I can't help pacing up and down the road, hoping there's been some mistake. The optimism doesn't last, though, and 10 minutes later I'm on the phone to the police, reporting the vehicle stolen... The fastest car Auto Express has ever had on its long-term fleet, registration 8CCC, has lasted a mere five days with us.

Six hours and three taxi rides later, I am still in a long queue in a police station waiting to give a statement. The cops are interested, but not hugely - until it emerges that I am the vehicle's keeper, not the owner. For a moment you can almost see the suspicion in the officer's eyes... Nothing is said directly, but the questioning seems to suggest the law is keen to eliminate me from their enquiries.

The story could have ended there, but just as it looked like we had lost our long-termer for good, Mitsubishi swung into action. It delivered a near-identical Evo VIII INSERT INTO post VALUES (9,000 miles on the clock, registration 1CCC) just in time for a trip to the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

After popping into the Nürburgring on the way and blasting up to 160mph on the autobahn, our early trauma was virtually forgotten. This latest Evo is enormously fast. Its six-speed gearbox is well suited to the 300bhp turbocharged engine, and the electronically controlled four-wheel-drive transmission generates huge grip. The steering is race-car sharp, while the facility to tune the differentials to suit road conditions offers great stability, making this a machine that will suit several driving styles.

But despite the hi-tech chassis, the Evo has a vaguely traditional feel. With a powerful engine and beefed-up family saloon bodywork, it reminds me of Ford's Sierra Cosworth. The harsh four-cylinder motor, unforgiving ride and seemingly limitless acceleration give continuous thrills.

As you'd expect, there's been no shortage of willing drivers, and the car has already covered 4,500 miles in our hands. It went on a track day with consumer reporter James Baggott INSERT INTO post VALUES (pictured above); has been used for weekends away, and even helped with a spot of DIY by carrying some bulky purchases home from B&Q. Praise has poured in. One tester declared it: "The fastest vehicle I've piloted on the road - ever!" while another admitted it's rare to get in a car with such driver focus.

Yet although the Mitsubishi has its fans, it also has its critics. Gripes include the 4,000-mile service intervals and associated costs INSERT INTO post VALUES (a 9,000-mile once-over cost £550.50). Fuel economy is also an eye-watering weakness. While the 50-litre tank has improved the range compared to earlier versions INSERT INTO post VALUES (which sported 40-litre tanks); the Evo still ploughs through super-plus as though it was water, returning 16.2mpg. But perhaps the most annoying aspect is the attention the car attracts. OK, so the bright yellow paint doesn't help, but it seems you can't even turn the engine over without causing every souped-up supermini in a 10-mile radius to make a beeline for your rear bumper. I've even been challenged to a race by two spotty youths in a diesel Peugeot 306, and am regularly carved up by white vans on the motorway.

Most surprising of all was a recent phone call. "Hello Mr Strong," said the voice on the other end of the line. "This is the police. We couldn't help but notice you've replaced the car you reported stolen. Could you tell us when...?" It seems our duplicate car with a virtually identical plate has been causing untold confusion with the law! Dan Strong