PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Legnum/galant Vr4

greenyhouse
18-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Well, after getting some sound advice from the brother-in-law and keenly following your/our marvellous forum for the past month, i have finally decided to try and take the plunge in to the world of VR4.

Unfortunately since i have just purchased a house, my funds are strictly limited [so the missus tells me!] to £4,250 - and she tells me that is the MAX!!!

I am on the lookout for a mechanically reliable VR4 Legnum/Galant [i think that i prefer the look of the Saloon, but haven't yet seen or driven either yet]. Does anyone know one within a short(ish) drive of Surrey that they could recommend me to look at?

Any advice on what/who to avoid would also be most welcome – and if anyone feels that £4,250 is the wrong amount [too low?] to be spending on a VR4, then please let me know too, I suppose I could wait another 6 months and actually save some money to go with the loan I’ll be getting for the purchase…[but I would like one NOW!]

Just so you know, my biggest fear is that i buy a fresh import for the whole amount, it dies, and i don't know a good cheap mechanic to help me out, and then i die at the hands of my other half....

Oh, I love the forum – and I can’t wait to be a part of it all…

Thanks Everyone!

Axeboy
18-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Welcome Mate

That budget should get you a decent enough VR4 if you hold out. Best bet is to keep an eye on Autotrader then ask people here if they know the car. Or wait for one of the members to sell one...

As for parts, dont worry. Plenty of bits around, i wouldnt worry about reliability to be honest, overall they are strong cars.

Spirit
18-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Firstly /Welcome2 to the forums greenyhouse

As Axeboy has suggested that sum of money can get you a decent car for sure. Keep an eye on Autotrader but also get in contact with Mo (zedy1) who is a member on here, he often has ones cheaper than this for sale.

You can PM via here or click on his banner advert on this site (called Galant Spares) and give him a call.

Edit: in fact here's the link: http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=galantspares?3

Physician
18-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi and welcome pal .......

Just to add. We have a couple of Members here who have started a small business to do practically any work including servicing on VR4's. They are extremely knowledgeable about the VR4 and consistently get very high praise on the standard of work and prices they charge.

For instance, they recently changed some hydraulic lifters for £180 all in (labour). Mitsubishi charge over £500.

You will come across them on the forums: WRD Motorsport or contact Member 'richy rich'.

Alex
18-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Hello, and /Welcome2 to CVR4. Hope you manage to find the perfect VR4 :2thumbsup

richy rich
18-09-2006, 06:39 PM
/Welcome

as said above

Nick VR4
18-09-2006, 07:24 PM
/Welcome2 to the Forums

Hope you find a VR4 soon

barnard
18-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Perhaps you could jump in at the shallow end like i did and buy a 7G vr4 (pre-1996 model). Mine was only £500 plus a bit of expense to get it on the road (and the track), that is if you can locate one. As i am a poor car dealer i had to start at the cheaper end of the market (ready for the flak from SGHOM)

vr4moose
18-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Well, after getting some sound advice from the brother-in-law and keenly following your/our marvellous forum for the past month, i have finally decided to try and take the plunge in to the world of VR4.

Unfortunately since i have just purchased a house, my funds are strictly limited [so the missus tells me!] to £4,250 - and she tells me that is the MAX!!!

I am on the lookout for a mechanically reliable VR4 Legnum/Galant [i think that i prefer the look of the Saloon, but haven't yet seen or driven either yet]. Does anyone know one within a short(ish) drive of Surrey that they could recommend me to look at?

Any advice on what/who to avoid would also be most welcome – and if anyone feels that £4,250 is the wrong amount [too low?] to be spending on a VR4, then please let me know too, I suppose I could wait another 6 months and actually save some money to go with the loan I’ll be getting for the purchase…[but I would like one NOW!]

Just so you know, my biggest fear is that i buy a fresh import for the whole amount, it dies, and i don't know a good cheap mechanic to help me out, and then i die at the hands of my other half....

Oh, I love the forum – and I can’t wait to be a part of it all…

Thanks Everyone! im fairly new too, the vr4 is a great machine and my ma has 1, 80 in feb lol. mike.

greenyhouse
19-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Cheers guy's that's exactly what i wanted to hear - you really have got a decent forum going here, the support is great!

Nice to know that there's some good repair and spares people around too, 'cause i'm guessing this isn't going to be the cheapest purchase i have made - but hopefully it will be one of the most fun...

Think I will go out and have a spin in one at cheap import dealers this weekend to get a feel for them [although I am sure it’ll not be the best example], at least then I will have something to compare against. Don’t know if anyone has seen this’n on their travels yet…?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=MITSUBISHI&model=ANY&variant=vr4&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=al2+2dz&miles=10&max_records=50&source=2&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Thanks again everyone!

Nutter_John
19-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi Greeny

Not seen that car advertised before but by the info given in the ad I would say that it is a new import . Would suggest if you go to view the car that you take along a copy of the buyers guide from this site and check every known issue etc

good luck with your hunt for the right car and welcome to the best club in the world ( probably )

Cheers John