PDA

View Full Version : installing subs ... finally done.

Bal
19-09-2006, 01:50 PM
I've finally got the subs installed in the car. I took some pics in case anyone had any difficulties and needed advice on good earth points etc.

here it is -

1. As heavily advised on here I used the gromits on the driver side from the engine bay through the wheel arch into the driver side foot well. feed your cable through these.

see pics 1 - 4 to see how i laid the cable. i cabletied the power cable to bulk head for security.

2. I then fed the cable along the driver side door through to the boot. all the floor linings just unclip quite easily. you will need to take off a couple of screws down by the driver side footwell to pull the carpet up easily.

NB you dont need to take out the driver side seat. i managed to do all of this just buy taking the door step panels off ... very easy.

3. once you have the power cable in you need to feed the RCA for any amps also your remote on cable and any other cabling for you HU to the boot. mine has video in and aux audio in which I fed to the back as well. See CVR4 guide on how to remove the centre console (i used my key to pull everything out ... easy enough).

NB - I would strongly advise you feed these down the passenger side of the car using the same run as the driver side (just as easy as the power cable). By running RCAs and Power seperately you prevent alternator whine which can occur if you run RCAs next to the power.

see pics 5 and 6 on how i routed the rcas.

4. finally once you have routed the rcas you need earth points for your amps. I used the anchor points for the rear seats for this. just get some sandpaper and sand the points down (you need to make contact with bare metal so get rid of the paint) and then put your earth cable here. as i have two amps it seemed sensible to use both points.

see pics 7

5. once it's all cables all you need to do then is wire it all up and bobs you uncle subs are in.

I'm gonna start on custom speaker pods tomorrow so will put this up when im done.

ps how do you get the pics in between the text. couldnt figure this out !?

n13l pm
19-09-2006, 02:07 PM
nice nice. Are you making pods for the doors? you going to go for twin pods on the front? I guess you going to use fiberglass yeah.

Im thinking about making some pods for my rear doors as they dont come as standard with speaker mounts.

WildCards
19-09-2006, 02:15 PM
What size are your trampolines Bal?

Bal
19-09-2006, 03:09 PM
they are only 10s. i did the whole 2kw 12" biggies when i was younger, im now going for bass that isnt overpowering but adds value to the soundstage.

as for the pods. im going for single angled pods for a set of 6.5 comps. when i had my GLS i put hifonics speakers in teh car and wasnt impressed with the overall sound so i figure on the vr4 if i make pods i can angle the speakers and make the sound direction a bit better.

the boot is gonna get a custom sub install but that's on the back burner for the moment as i have a box. again the GLS has a custom boot build but i sold that off when i sold of the beasty 12 that was in the car.

Bal
19-09-2006, 03:10 PM
on a side note you'll see that i used a distribution block for my power to the two subs you can do this for the earth as well. if you do do this make sure you use big gague cabling to the main point and smaller cabling to the relevant amps.

in my case im running 0g from the batter to the block and then 4g to both amps.