PDA

View Full Version : JapShow Finale - 8th October 2006.

Nick Mann
20-09-2006, 01:52 PM
This is an all-weekender at Santa Pod for those who want to play at straight-lining. It is a bit of fun, a challenge, a contest or a bit of performance monitoring, depending on your point of view!

Last Years Thread. (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9000)

A day at the drag races! See the official site HERE (http://www.japshow.co.uk)!

Tickets:
On The Gate: Saturday £10, Sunday £15, Weekend £20.
Track Fee: Saturday £20 for unlimited runs, Sunday £15 for 3 runs.
Stand pass: Free through the club.

Stand so far:

AncientOfMu x 2
Kieran
Nutter_John
diddingtonwizard
lboots
tmarklewuk
Grinder

lboots
20-09-2006, 09:21 PM
why not, :sunny: camping could be fun:stupid: so thats a yes for the weekend for me:runkest:

AncientOfMu
20-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Sunday Provisionally

But on condition on CVR4 having a stand. Me no wanna park in the 'hey come nick a car with ease' car park.

The white beastie will be making 3 runs on the sunday (providing my new licence is here in time and the local constabulary havnt removed it from my possesion)

Alex
20-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Camping in October??? Please no :(

Kieran
20-09-2006, 10:54 PM
The white beastie will be making 3 runs on the sunday (providing my new licence is here in time and the local constabulary havnt removed it from my possesion)

Woohoo!!!!:sunny: /notworthy

Will be good to see her whizz up that strip Don!

Lillywotsername
21-09-2006, 07:39 AM
I think we are a no on this one Nick. Its a bit much with it only being a week after JF2.

And camping would be just too cold. I need :sunny: for that or at least heat.

Spirit
21-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I won't be attending now for definate, even if Kev does go. I have to go to Blackpool for the whole week before it, and have to drive back the Friday so no way I am driving back up that far again the weekend :zzz:

I 'm not sure Kev will go anyhow, he is going to some dragstrip the day after JF2 by the sounds of it.

L6
25-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I'am coming !!
(So to Speak)

Any stand pass's available, to get me out of the " Stop me and rob one" car park. Nick ?

PS it will be just for the Sunday though

PPS I have just read the top and a free pass is available to peeps who buy tickets

Please Can I have two for Sunday please, and who do I paypal to?--- Along with a stand pass Please

Thnx Lotsley

BraindG
26-09-2006, 12:30 AM
I Cant, as I for the first time ever have Fay staying over at her Daddys :drummer: /Banana :2thumbsup

HJM
26-09-2006, 06:47 AM
I Cant, as I for the first time ever have Fay staying over at her Daddys :drummer: /Banana :2thumbsup

Nice one Barry :thumbsup:

J :)

richy rich
26-09-2006, 06:50 AM
That is good news Barry /Banana /grouphug

Spirit
26-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Great news Barry ! /Poms

Alex
26-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Hope it goes great Barry - sure it will /Banana /Banana

Nick Mann
29-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I haven't actually booked anything for this event yet, as only one of you has told me how many tickets you want!! Is this an event for one again?

Nutter_John
29-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Nick I will be attending on the Sunday , but it may not be worth a stand if only 2/3 people are deffo turning up

Kieran
29-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I would hope we can get a club stand? I don't fancy leaving Ariadne in the 'Stop me and pinch one' car park at 'Pod.....:bobby2:

Nick Mann
29-09-2006, 01:54 PM
So who wants a club stand?

K, if you say yes then I think I have three cars interested. As today is the deadline, I need to know!!

Kieran
29-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Depends on Stands, Nick - If we can get a stand, then that's all cool!

I do feel a need to spank your previous times in Ariadne, I must admit!:smartass2

Kieran
29-09-2006, 01:58 PM
By the way - who's thinking hotel and for how many nights? I'm thinking it might be good to get to the 'warm ups' on Saturday if you want to run!

Nick Mann
29-09-2006, 02:12 PM
I have booked a ten car stand, with no camping facility (general camping is available) for the weekend. I will post the passes out next week. First come, first served!

AncientOfMu
29-09-2006, 02:42 PM
cant remeber whether i was clear.......

Stand space deffo.

I may well convince the wife to bring the V6-24 as well (so i can use it to store stuff while I run up the strip :) ).

Do we have to buy our own tickets? or are you organising that too nick? or are we just paying on the gate?.

Oh and only on the Sunday for me.

I'll let you know whether I want one stand space or two later tnight after ive talked to the missus.

Cheers

Don

Kieran
29-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Okay, stand space confirmed and I'm thinking both days for us.

We'll probably be in the hotel Friday and Saturday night too.... Makes it easier for us that way!

Anyone else hoteling?

Nick Mann
29-09-2006, 03:26 PM
The deadlin for advance tickets is today. You have until 5:00pm to order them through the website (see the link in post #1) or it is buy on the gate only. I expected this to be more popular, so thought I would buy the tickets for everyone and then post them on. But not enough interest for me to do that!

I can't make saturday or saturday night. I may pop along on sunday - weather dependant.

AncientOfMu
29-09-2006, 04:11 PM
OK quick update :).

I will need 2 stand passes if thats ok Nick.

Were planning on staying at the hotel on the saturday night. Where do ClubVR4 usually stay? (i know I could look but im lazy :D).

Just gotta book me tickets now :).

/Banana

Nutter_John
29-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Put me down for a stand pass Nick , not going to be styaing over as it's only 45 mins from me to the pod

Nick Mann
29-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Were planning on staying at the hotel on the saturday night. Where do ClubVR4 usually stay? (i know I could look but im lazy :D).

The Wellingborough Ibis.

Kieran
29-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Bloody hell fire - cutting it fine!! :rolleyes3:

Tickets ordered. Hope they turn up!

diddingtonwizard
29-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Put me down for a stand pass Nick , not going to be styaing over as it's only 45 mins from me to the pod
Sunday only for me please with stano space

cheers

Ian

AncientOfMu
29-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Bloody hell fire - cutting it fine!! :rolleyes3:

Tickets ordered. Hope they turn up!

Couldnt get on the bloody site :( work internet bahhhhh.

Looks like im getting my tickets on the gate :P

AncientOfMu
29-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Couldnt get on the bloody site :( work internet bahhhhh.

Looks like im getting my tickets on the gate :P

Scratch that just got them :).

Now I just need the brake discs to turn up :P

Donovan
30-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey Fellas of course Im up for this I would love to come up and experience it again with you all!!!

And this time I can actually run my car haha , I would like to be on stand with Clubvr4 if its alright with you all and your admin? Just let me know thanks alot..

AncientOfMu
01-10-2006, 01:25 AM
As wellingborouh ibis seems to be full, at this late stage I would suggest Northampton Ibis. Right in the centre of town and not too much further away from the Pod. If it was me on my own I would do the trip there and back in a day but as the Missus is coming......

Although saying that she has threatened to run the V6-24 up the strip...

If I bought 3 runs would they all have to be the same car?.... ( a plan is formulating...)

Kieran
01-10-2006, 01:43 AM
If I bought 3 runs would they all have to be the same car?.... ( a plan is formulating...)

No. the runs are purchased per driver, not per car. Does this help your plans? ;)

richy rich
01-10-2006, 01:10 PM
As wellingborouh ibis seems to be full, at this late stage I would suggest Northampton Ibis. Right in the centre of town and not too much further away from the Pod. If it was me on my own I would do the trip there and back in a day but as the Missus is coming......

Although saying that she has threatened to run the V6-24 up the strip...

the ibis in Northampton is very noisy be warned

Kieran
01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
the ibis in Northampton is very noisy be warned

Is it?... Oh, is that where you stayed next to the tennants from hell?

Lillywotsername
01-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Is it?... Oh, is that where you stayed next to the tennants from hell?
It was.....got Zero sleep that night due to the couple in the room next to us having a "not so quiet" session and screaming guests in the corridors until 4.30am

The hotel was not very strict on "the respect other guests" policy as when I complained in the morning, all I got from the numpty on the desk was...." Oh, there are stickers on doors asking people to be quiet"

Big deal mate.... How about a free breakfast at least!!!!!!

Kieran
01-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Hmm. Well, hopefully lightning shouldn't strike twice. I mean, there's a certain travel inn place near donnington that had a rowdy mob in it this weekend, I understand!

richy rich
01-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Hmm. Well, hopefully lightning shouldn't strike twice. I mean, there's a certain travel inn place near donnington that had a rowdy mob in it this weekend, I understand!
would that be area 51 by any chance /Devil5

Kieran
01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
would that be area 51 by any chance /Devil5

Maybe! ;) ;) /Devil5 /Devil5

Grinder
02-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Are there any stand passes left?

My wife is bringing the Legnum and wants to see some VR4's close up. I will be on the skyline stand but will certainly come over and see you guys whatever happens.

AncientOfMu
03-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Got my tickets today :2thumbsup

Just need the stand passes now..... Nick? /help

Grinder
03-10-2006, 10:06 PM
So where is the club stand?

http://www.timr.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/santapod.jpg

Nick Mann
03-10-2006, 10:11 PM
The club stand is 'Bankside' which I guess means it is at the top of the photo. The marshalls shall guide you! :thumbsup:

Alex
03-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Cracking photo - I haven't see that before :2thumbsup

Kieran
03-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Right. We're booked into the Holiday Inn Express just off Jct.15 of the M1, Friday and Saturday, should anyone wish to join us! :runkest:

Grinder
03-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Cracking photo - I haven't see that before :2thumbsup
Thats just http://maps.google.co.uk dude - fantastic resolution, similar available at http://local.live.com the evil Microsoft version :)

Right. We're booked into the Holiday Inn Express just off Jct.15 of the M1, Friday and Saturday, should anyone wish to join us! :runkest:
We are in the Premier Travel Inn in Bedford Saturday night only, but its a family thing (wife and kids in tow) and no late nights before my first trip to Santa Pod - I want to be awake for this! :scholar:

Kieran
03-10-2006, 10:50 PM
We are in the Premier Travel Inn in Bedford Saturday night only, but its a family thing (wife and kids in tow) and no late nights before my first trip to Santa Pod - I want to be awake for this! :scholar:

Wicked - I've added you to the Stand Pass list - Hopefully Nick will have the passes soon to post them out!

We've got the gazebo and flags too. I'm thinking we'll just put them up on sunday at the main event as that's when most people will be there!:d

/Everyone at work thinks I'm bonkers....:| /haz

Come on peeps! Two more stand spaces left! Let's get 'em filled! It's the final BIG event of the year!/Wave

Kieran
03-10-2006, 10:54 PM
I'am coming !!
(So to Speak)

Any stand pass's available, to get me out of the " Stop me and rob one" car park. Nick ?

PS it will be just for the Sunday though

PPS I have just read the top and a free pass is available to peeps who buy tickets

Please Can I have two for Sunday please, and who do I paypal to?--- Along with a stand pass Please

Thnx Lotsley

Hey Tim - Not sure if you've got answers to this or not, basically, You're down for a stand pass and will get that come what may. As for tickets, we're not sorting those, you need to purchase those yourself - which you can do on the gate!:2thumbsup

Grinder
03-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Wicked - I've added you to the Stand Pass list - Hopefully Nick will have the passes soon to post them out!
Errr yeah - I hope he does I did not know there is an issue with this :sad3: - I contacted him via PM so I am on the list for sure. :beerchug:

We've got the gazebo and flags too. I'm thinking we'll just put them up on sunday at the main event as that's when most people will be there!:d
Fantastic! It will be good there is no doubt. :sombrero: You might find a spare 20 mins on the Saturday and if its raining you might want your deck chair under some shelter!

SGHOM
03-10-2006, 11:15 PM
looking good ! :sunny:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2835

remember...... one drop of rain at the pod & it's all over rover. /Grrr

Donovan
04-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah great photo really puts everything into perspective..

Nick Mann
04-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Passes arrived with me yesterday, so have just been posted out at lunchtime. If you're lucky, they will be with you tomorrow, if not it will be thursday.

richy rich
04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Passes arrived with me yesterday, so have just been posted out at lunchtime. If you're lucky, they will be with you tomorrow, if not it will be thursday.
dont you mean friday nick

Grinder
04-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Cutting it fine :thinking: fingers crossed. Ooo the anticipation!

Nick Mann
04-10-2006, 07:59 PM
dont you mean friday nick

errr....... maybe?

/duh

Alex
04-10-2006, 09:52 PM
What's the plan then - are we all just turning up as and when, or are we forming a mini convoy?

Kieran
04-10-2006, 11:01 PM
What's the plan then - are we all just turning up as and when, or are we forming a mini convoy?

Yeah, that's a point! What we doing peeps?

L6
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Hey Tim - Not sure if you've got answers to this or not, basically, You're down for a stand pass and will get that come what may. As for tickets, we're not sorting those, you need to purchase those yourself - which you can do on the gate!:2thumbsup

Hi Mate, just seen your post I have been off line for a while and just got back,

Great to see a few people are coming, last time I saw the posts there were only Nick and myself. Thanks for the news on the stand passes.

Cant wait to see you all soon /Wyhy /Wyhy

Grinder
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
I received my stand pass today!

Thanks Nick. /Poms

AncientOfMu
05-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Got mine too Thanks Nick :2thumbsup

Can't wait for sunday /Banana

Although my new discs havnt turned up so I'm damn glad there is enough room for a 280mph Jet Car to slow down, I'm gonna need it :P

Donovan
05-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Cant make this meet fellas , sorry , money is an issue ;) However I"ll keep an eye out on the meets forum..

L6
05-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Just Got home and found my Pass, Thanks Loads Nick,

/yes /yes :beerchug:

Kieran
05-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Same here Nick - Cheers!

The Vee
05-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Well, I so wanted to get to this to see the improvement after the engine swap - but no, can't get off work. Ah well, next year........../wall

Kieran
05-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Well, I so wanted to get to this to see the improvement after the engine swap - but no, can't get off work. Ah well, next year........../wall

Can't make either day? :sad3: Bummer! :(

Wodjno
05-10-2006, 11:05 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/160968/ (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/160968/stripping_idol/)

Roberto
07-10-2006, 09:23 PM
The best of luck to all attending/yes

Hopefully I will join you again for a meet next year.

From the Irish segment.......

Donovan
08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
well hell tell me how it was/

Wodjno
08-10-2006, 03:35 PM
well hell tell me how it was/

I would say there still there :d

Donovan
08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Tru.. lmao , well at least I know Im not the only one who didnt goo... I guess I blew all my money on Michelin Pilot tires and gas and jus odds and ends so I didnt have enough money to go :( SAD SAD!

Kieran
08-10-2006, 08:19 PM
A great weekend was had - Despite Ariadne turning in a truly disastrous set of 1/4 mile times! 15 seconds anyone?! :sick: /grr :embarasse /duh /duh :uhoh2:

As ever, the company was great, Thanks to Nutter_John, Timmarkelwhatsisname, Grinder (also called Tim!) and his wife, Nick & Vicky, Lboots (ian) and AncientofMu (Don) and Natasha popping down and seeing some great straight-line action - Some serious competition, including the privateer who scored a 9.3 second pass in his Supra (no pro help!), the drifters (NUTTERS!!!) and the ever popular (and Loud!) Jet Car.

A nice way to draw a line under this year's show season. Unfortunately now, real life is calling loudly, so I will have to make some time for it, and that means I won't have as much Legnum time for a little while - But Ariadne and I shall return! Fitter, Better, Faster and Shinier! /yes

Alex
08-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Yes, as Kieran says, we had a great weekend - Despite my little tantrum over the club stand arrangements yesterday.

Good to see everyone, and roll on next season /Wave

Nutter_John
08-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Yep was a very nice way to spend the day - I even have a video of K doing the 1/4 mile which will be put up in the next day or so .

Roll on Japfest one 2007 !!!

AncientOfMu
08-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Great to see everyone :bananadan

Nice to get stock 1/4 mile figures before I start doin any serious mods...

best time outta 2 runs 15.064 @ 90.14.

A great learning experince and my Drag cherry has definatley been popped :D.

Shame I completely trashed the second launch and had a reaction time of 5 seconds :embarasse

Joe would like to say Nice to meet everyone and special thanks to Kieren and Alex for looking after him and showing him round for a while. A special thanks from his Mum and Dad too /thankyou

Didn't get chance to run the V6-24 up the strip.. That will have to wait for another day... a day when it isnt Japshow Final.

Right time for some sleep, DAMN its been a long day :).

Roll on next year, maybe my track cherry will get some ation too :2thumbsup:

Grinder
08-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Just got back home in Essex 20 minutes ago - after stopping for dinner in Bedford (kids!/duh )

I have footage on my digital of both Kieran and Don's ¼ miles so I will be happy to share once I've had a good night's sleep!

Great to meet peeps - nice bunch of surprisingly normal people (sorry if that offends anyone! :d )

SGHOM
08-10-2006, 11:30 PM
nice bunch of surprisingly normal people )

you've obviously been to the wrong meet ! /haz :d

Eurospec
09-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Hello guys, i was up there yesterday running, and i was looking for you guys but i couldnt find the stand!

If it was anything like our GTO stand it would have been hopeless! I mean, what use is a grass parking area at a drag meet??! Very easy to jack your car up on that whilst the trolley jack just sinks in!

Anyawy, we had a great day up there, some absolutely awesome cars- even the private ones. To be fair they impressed me more than the pro's.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nutter_John
09-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi Benh

Can't believe you missed us , we where the most easily spotted club in the whole event :D

They had us on the left hand side as you drive into the site , big blue gazzebo and two large flags , and yes I agree organisation was quiet poor by them

Shame we missed you

ANTHONY
09-10-2006, 11:17 AM
what ...still no picturs............. come on there must be some

colVR4
09-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I popped by on the Sunday afternoon, but you were all off watching the fun. I did bump in to AncientsOfMu, just a shame the rest of you weren't around. Made me laugh when he said that Alex was more upset with Ariadne's poor effort than Kieran was, because of all the time and effort that Kieran had put in to the car. :P

HJM
09-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Supra in 9.3 :rolleyes4 :thumbsup:

H

pezza
09-10-2006, 12:35 PM
... Made me laugh when he said that Alex was more upset with Ariadne's poor effort than Kieran was, because of all the time and effort that Kieran had put in to the car. :P

Wait till it gets on track.. thats where the mods will count /yes :evil2:

and it will be spotless doing it too :sunny:

colVR4
09-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I agree completely. I would love to make some suspension mods to my car to make it ride a little lower and stiffer. I am not bothered about upping the power much more, I just want the S-AFC properly mapped, but making it go round the twistys better would be good.

Alex
09-10-2006, 06:33 PM
what ...still no picturs............. come on there must be some

Not from us I'm afraid - K's camera packed in as per usual :vogel:

Alex
09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Made me laugh when he said that Alex was more upset with Ariadne's poor effort than Kieran was, because of all the time and effort that Kieran had put in to the car. :P

Time and effort? Piffle! /pan

I was promised that great results would be had if I parted with my hard earned cash that I had scrimped and saved!! :sick:

No seriously, I was just disappointed for Kieran really. I know that Ariadne's still not on top form - still some old issues to iron out, and a few new one's too - but I did think with the mods K's already made that she might have improved a bit.

Never mind. I suppose it'll keep K interested in the car.

SGHOM
09-10-2006, 06:41 PM
try here. :thumbsup:

http://www.japshow.co.uk/

enigma
11-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Asuming that your race numbers were 651 and 1046 you both lost loads of time in the first 60ft...............you need to launch harder!

AncientOfMu
11-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Asuming that your race numbers were 651 and 1046 you both lost loads of time in the first 60ft...............you need to launch harder!

I was Launching at about 2000 rpm. And it was my first time :embarasse

Whats the maximum you've launched at in a tip auto?.

Kieran
11-10-2006, 11:26 PM

I'm not so sure Dave - I checked the 60 feet times from Ariadne's previous runs.... on the two 14.3 runs, the 60ft times were 2.086 and 2.088. Then there's a 14.8 with a 2.428 60ft. On the day, I scored a 2.170 and a 2.200, both with 15 second times.

I felt that the second launch was as good as it gets, and certainly I don't wish to subject the gearbox and drivetrain to anymore than I did on Sunday (2000rpm launches). What I did notice however was that she's not going into 'Meltdown' as I call it anymore. Don knows what I mean and I imagine Nick does too - Before, there was always a surge of power from about ~4500rpm onwards.

I think the issues are as follows:

No cold air feed to the new airbox, compounded by the fact that the ARC box is suffocated by the battery, and also that I rather stupidly placed a sticker over the air intakes on the grille.... /duh

Secondly - having the cat on the exhaust, particularly with a sports exhaust pegs the top end of the car back something chronic!

Thirdly... The Greddy Spec-V is a good intercooler for flow - but I suspect, given how hot the post intercooler pipes were, that it heatsoaks easily. I think the SARD intercooler spray I have here will help with this.

Fourthly - having all of that aluminium pipework in the engine bay makes everything shiny, and certainly helps with response - but with no CAI, it exacerbates the first issue.... Everything's hot!

And finally - on the way back, I conducted a few runs on the M1 and have confirmed that I have some sort of boost issue going on. She's struggling to hold 0.5 bar at the moment, whether that's when held in gear or huffed through them. The boost curve (if you were to log it) would look like a sawtooth rather than a nice long curve.... It's spiky and all over the place.... I suspect my recent air leak troubles aren't totally resolved.

Plan of action is to sort out a Cold air intake, sort out a freeer flowing cat somehow and take steps to eliminate sources of radiant and convection heat within the engine bay, and also tackle the boost issue.

Overall, whilst I am disappointed with Sunday's results, I am not surprised by them either - I wasn't expecting to beat any previous bests with a half-finished car. I am encouraged though that even with several niggles, the car still returned a stock time.

More work required! :book:

enigma
12-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm not so sure Dave - I checked the 60 feet times from Ariadne's previous runs.... on the two 14.3 runs, the 60ft times were 2.086 and 2.088. Then there's a 14.8 with a 2.428 60ft. On the day, I scored a 2.170 and a 2.200, both with 15 second times.

I felt that the second launch was as good as it gets, and certainly I don't wish to subject the gearbox and drivetrain to anymore than I did on Sunday (2000rpm launches). What I did notice however was that she's not going into 'Meltdown' as I call it anymore. Don knows what I mean and I imagine Nick does too - Before, there was always a surge of power from about ~4500rpm onwards.

0.1 at the 60ft is at least 0.3 at the 1/4 mile..................With the work that has gone in you should be seeing sub 2 second 60ft times.

However you wont do that with 2k launches you need to be closer to 3k.........if you look in the service manual you will see that power braking is used as a check for the torque converter so you shouldn't be scared of it. The amount of boost you make at 3k vs 2k will be significant................

Your lack of surge will be down to your intercooler and pipework..............

Kieran
12-10-2006, 09:29 PM
0.1 at the 60ft is at least 0.3 at the 1/4 mile..................With the work that has gone in you should be seeing sub 2 second 60ft times.

However you wont do that with 2k launches you need to be closer to 3k.........if you look in the service manual you will see that power braking is used as a check for the torque converter so you shouldn't be scared of it. The amount of boost you make at 3k vs 2k will be significant................

Your lack of surge will be down to your intercooler and pipework..............

Yeah, this is true - the 60ft times on the 14.3s are 1.8. It's true that I am scared of launching at that figure. Power braking is used to check the stall speed of the converter, but it doesn't "drop" all that torque on the drive train. I tried a 3K launch once in Derek's car on his instructions and the way the car lurched forwards it felt like I'd left the rear diff behind!/JawDroppi I will not subject her to that. And, seeing as she'll pull a 14.3 on a 2 sec 60ft, I see no reason to.

I can confidently state that the lack of surge is not down to the intercooler or the hard pipes. Allow me to explain - these were some of the 1st upgrades done to Ariadne, and when Don (Ancient) and I took it for a test drive, the difference was noticeable - the surge had increased, along with better bottom end response. Nothing else on the car had changed at this point when we tested it either (stock airbox, exhaust, plugs, wires, etc). I've not got the issues that you initially had, if that's the avenue you're heading down... The Spec-V is well matched to the Legnum's whizzers - the core's not an oversize 300x600 jobbie and it's an extruded tube/fin design, so it flows very well indeed. I was very careful to avoid the issues you and a few others have faced, hence I went for the Greddy kit. All the pipework is lipped to stop leaks and blown off hoses too - there's even a relocation kit for the power steering cooler so that doesn't foul the new intercooler. It's a very well thought out design. I almost went for the Spec-R, which is bigger and uses a denser core, but for my aims, this would be to cooling focused, probably too big and would probably loose too much pressure accross it. The Type-V is a similar size to the ARC one that Nick Mann has - so it's not *vastly* bigger than stock. I must admit that with bigger turbos, the Type-R would be a better choice. But for stock TD03s, the Type-V is a good, well thought out upgrade unit.

Furthermore, when it was coupled with the Realize-TT and a decat, the top end surge increased even more - Alex commented that Ariadne was turning into a rocketship!:rolleyes4 Even though still running stock boost, Ariadne had greatly improved acceleration, particularly beyond 4000rpm. Almost akin to a VR-4 running higher boost - even though still set at the stock 0.55.

I'm almost certain it's the air box and lack of a cold feed and probably a vacuum pipe loose somewhere - I've since noticed that I'm seeing about -515 mmHg as opposed to the more usual -560 mmHg at idle. First step is to return the airbox to stock, and then to trace the vacuum fault. Then, I will look at getting the stock cat out of the way and replacing with something a little more free flowing......:smart:

Fun and games, fun and games...:rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

enigma
13-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Yeah, this is true - the 60ft times on the 14.3s are 1.8. It's true that I am scared of launching at that figure. Power braking is used to check the stall speed of the converter, but it doesn't "drop" all that torque on the drive train. I tried a 3K launch once in Derek's car on his instructions and the way the car lurched forwards it felt like I'd left the rear diff behind!/JawDroppi I will not subject her to that. And, seeing as she'll pull a 14.3 on a 2 sec 60ft, I see no reason to.

Unless you do this you wont get a true reflection of what the car can do though. I had a count up of my timeslips last night and I have 70 for the VR4, and this doesn't include the ones that I didn't bother to pick up. My drivetrain is still in one piece. Derek will probably tell as similar story and Glenn has launched a fair few times on the road...................

I can confidently state that the lack of surge is not down to the intercooler or the hard pipes. Allow me to explain - these were some of the 1st upgrades done to Ariadne, and when Don (Ancient) and I took it for a test drive, the difference was noticeable - the surge had increased, along with better bottom end response. Nothing else on the car had changed at this point when we tested it either (stock airbox, exhaust, plugs, wires, etc). I've not got the issues that you initially had, if that's the avenue you're heading down... The Spec-V is well matched to the Legnum's whizzers - the core's not an oversize 300x600 jobbie and it's an extruded tube/fin design, so it flows very well indeed. I was very careful to avoid the issues you and a few others have faced, hence I went for the Greddy kit. All the pipework is lipped to stop leaks and blown off hoses too - there's even a relocation kit for the power steering cooler so that doesn't foul the new intercooler. It's a very well thought out design. I almost went for the Spec-R, which is bigger and uses a denser core, but for my aims, this would be to cooling focused, probably too big and would probably loose too much pressure accross it. The Type-V is a similar size to the ARC one that Nick Mann has - so it's not *vastly* bigger than stock. I must admit that with bigger turbos, the Type-R would be a better choice. But for stock TD03s, the Type-V is a good, well thought out upgrade unit.

It is difficult to use the seat of the pants dyno to determine changes. Without quantative data you cant really say either way. I for one couldn't tell the difference between a 14.5 second run and a 15 second run, or 290BHP vs 310BHP. Its often the case that the perceived gain is proportional to the wallet drain............Further testing is required, of that there is no doubt. But consider this, rig up a device with a 1 litre coke bottle a straw and an orifice. Blow down the straw thus pressurising the bottle try to maintain a steady presure at the orifice. Replace the 1 litre bottle for a 1.5 litre one and see what happens when you try and maintain the same pressure.......................Increasing the volume of the intake above stock will have an effect. Granted some of this effect will be reclaimed by a more efficient intercooler, but beware!

Furthermore, when it was coupled with the Realize-TT and a decat, the top end surge increased even more - Alex commented that Ariadne was turning into a rocketship!:rolleyes4 Even though still running stock boost, Ariadne had greatly improved acceleration, particularly beyond 4000rpm. Almost akin to a VR-4 running higher boost - even though still set at the stock 0.55.

Did you measure the boost before and after? You will probably find that in fact after the restrictive exhaust was removed you were actually gaining boost, albeit not a lot.........but it doesn't take much. Do you have the capability to log boost? Did you? The reason I ask is that acceleration doesn't necessarily correlate to peak boost, but the total area under the boost curve. That is to say for example if you saw 0.55 before the changes and 0.55 after the changes you may well find its simply that you were holding 0.55 much higher up the rev range than before hence the acceleration benefits. Have a look at Glenns boost curve in the recent settings adjustment thread..........is his boost set at 16psi or 13psi? Probably 13psi, but the initial overboost will give him a definate sensation of increased acceleration but his peak power will be at higher revs and lower boost.

I'm almost certain it's the air box and lack of a cold feed and probably a vacuum pipe loose somewhere - I've since noticed that I'm seeing about -515 mmHg as opposed to the more usual -560 mmHg at idle. First step is to return the airbox to stock, and then to trace the vacuum fault. Then, I will look at getting the stock cat out of the way and replacing with something a little more free flowing......:smart:

I wouldn't spend too much time looking at the cold air feed.............your idle pressures seem really low 560mmhg is about -11psi, something I have only ever seen on overrun. Even at 515mmhh you are still talking -10psi. My normal range is -440mmhg to -460mmhg and has been on all 3 of my engines which is around -8.5psi. I am sure that Mo, Derek and Nick all run in the same region. The vacuum pipe loose is the prime candidate, but dont discount the new boost pipes either. Tighten everything, then tighten it again.

Fun and games, fun and games...:rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

Get some method of logging otherwise you will really struggle to turn the money spent in to results

Kieran
13-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Unless you do this you wont get a true reflection of what the car can do though.

I agree - but I will not dump 3000rpm and god knows how much shock loading on my transmission. I know I could, but I choose not to. I am thinking of reverthing to a 'no-launch' strategy anyway - mainly because that will be more representative of 'on road' performance.

It is difficult to use the seat of the pants dyno to determine changes. Without quantative data you cant really say either way.....

Oh yes I can! ;) I can't put a figure on the change obviously, but I know that car like the back of my hand and I know when she's on form and when she's not. She's good at letting me know. We perhaps disagree on this, and I know that the KieranCorp dynometer is no substitute for the real thing. I do intend to get some 'cast iron' figures and such, but not just yet. That'll come in good time, but at this stage I don't feel it's needed untill I start winding everything up!:smoking:

Consider this, rig up a device with a 1 litre coke bottle a straw and an orifice. Blow down the straw thus pressurising the bottle try to maintain a steady presure at the orifice. Replace the 1 litre bottle for a 1.5 litre one and see what happens when you try and maintain the same pressure.......................Increasing the volume of the intake above stock will have an effect. Granted some of this effect will be reclaimed by a more efficient intercooler, but beware!

That's exactly why I chose the Greddy Spec-V. I am aware that our turbos will have a hard time with a big intercooler - I remember your posts about it before. I have done a lot of reading before comitting to a choice - this is one of the pages I found useful:

http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm

It may not all be right, I'm no engineer - all I can say is this - I read up, made a choice and it produced the results I wanted - so I'm satisfied (for now!) with it.:D

Did you measure the boost before and after? You will probably find that in fact after the restrictive exhaust was removed you were actually gaining boost, albeit not a lot.........

I think you're right here. I must admit that the lack of back pressure means that the turbos do overboost (to about 0.62 Bar) initially until the boost control solenoid reacts and calms things down again. I can't log boost, so can't produce a curve however.... That would be interesting.

your idle pressures seem really low 560mmhg is about -11psi, something I have only ever seen on overrun.

It's an odd one - I will look in the Jap service manuals to see if there's a specification. I've always seen -560mmHg, and on over run it increases to -700ish!:rolleyes3

Get some method of logging otherwise you will really struggle to turn the money spent in to results

That's always been the plan - just not at the moment - our bank account needs more boost than Airadne at the moment! /help

Wodjno
13-10-2006, 12:37 PM
So not understanding the vacuum pressures inside the intake fully. /duh Is the higher number better or worse ??

I am sitting in the car right now and i see AFR 14.3 to 14.8 ..... Rpm 640 to 660... Manifold pressure 420mmHg to 440mmHg /Hmmm Is this Low or High.. Does this mean i have a leak or No leak at all ?? I also have logged, from i take it Overun ( I take it that this is when lifting off the throttle)a pressure of 890mmHg. Again is this good or bad, and does this pressure differ, according to the amount of positive pressure before the lift off and does rpm have a bearing to :d