PDA

View Full Version : New Turbo's out, and cost of custom turbo's

SNWMAD
21-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Well from what i've heard so far there are new turbo's that have just come out in NZ for the 97 VR4s. These turbo's are slightly smaller than TDO4s but you don't need to change anything to your original set up to put them on. Apparantly bolt on. They are menat to give a huge power gain.

Anyhow i am getting a call back from the guy in Christchurch tommorow about them. He also doesn't a custom upgrade of old turbo's for $390 a turbo. This includes getting them rebuild, balanced, Housing bored out, bigger wheels and getting them clipped.

Will know how much the larger turbo's are tommorow. I will have my car dyno'd before and after the upgrade so that you all know what the power gains were.

Spirit
21-09-2006, 08:04 AM
May help the UK guys if you could also get a price from him to ship them over here too.

Cheers, and good luck :thumbsup:

Axeboy
21-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Yep, sounds good.... more input!

Kieran
21-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Yes, tell us more! More I say!

bradc
21-09-2006, 09:43 AM
$390 per turbo isn't bad, but I don't think that would give you a huge increase, I'd be more interested in the custom turbos, and more details on them.

Nick Mann
21-09-2006, 09:45 AM
$390 per turbo isn't bad, but I don't think that would give you a huge increase, I'd be more interested in the custom turbos, and more details on them.

Ditto!!

valmes
21-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Finally... at least some options! :chugchug:

enigma
21-09-2006, 12:11 PM
There has always been an option! Val has done it, I have done it on someone elses car, and I will be looking at mine at some point.

SNWMAD
21-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Will be hearing from the guy today and will post an update after that. Will also try and get the guy to e-mail me th stats that i can post on here.
Till then you'll all just have to keep waiting lol.

Wodjno
21-09-2006, 07:04 PM
There has always been an option! Val has done it, I have done it on someone elses car, and I will be looking at mine at some point.

And i might do it ! :thinking2If i can ever find a Turbo to match the 1 i have had for the last 18 months /Hissy

VR4 MAD
26-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Will be hearing from the guy today and will post an update after that. Will also try and get the guy to e-mail me th stats that i can post on here.
Till then you'll all just have to keep waiting lol.

C'mon, c'mon..............what news :smash:

I want....I want...................... them ......now :(

/Wyhy

SNWMAD
26-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Sorry i am trying to find out as fast as possible but my mechanic has been busy tending to his wife who is in hospital. should find out in the next few days or i will get the number for the crowd myself and ring them.

I can't wait to put them on and take it for a good cane up the kaimais.

VR4 MAD
26-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Sorry i am trying to find out as fast as possible but my mechanic has been busy tending to his wife who is in hospital. should find out in the next few days or i will get the number for the crowd myself and ring them.

No worries................family first always.

Just so long as you hadn't forgotten.

/Banana

SNWMAD
26-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Forgotten!!
I can't bloody wait, finally a decent upgrade for this model vr4. Hard car to modify compared to most japaz. But hey thats what makes them unique and different.
Cheers will post asap.

zentac
27-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Well from what i've heard so far there are new turbo's that have just come out in NZ for the 97 VR4s. These turbo's are slightly smaller than TDO4s but you don't need to change anything to your original set up to put them on. Apparantly bolt on. They are menat to give a huge power gain.

Anyhow i am getting a call back from the guy in Christchurch tommorow about them. He also doesn't a custom upgrade of old turbo's for $390 a turbo. This includes getting them rebuild, balanced, Housing bored out, bigger wheels and getting them clipped.

Will know how much the larger turbo's are tommorow. I will have my car dyno'd before and after the upgrade so that you all know what the power gains were.

hmmm will believe it when I see it.

Kieran
27-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Any news?

SNWMAD
02-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Well i cut the middle man out and went straight to the main guy. He is getting back to me as soon as posible on the prices of each package, but the news is that he is importing the packages from the US.

These packages are using not the twin but single turbo conversion methods with a choice of 3 different sizes of Garrett turbos. I don't fully yet know how they are packaging each one but i'm hoping they are doing custom packages as well. He said that the main package included front mount intercooler and all piping, larger injectors and fueling upgrade, turbos and all exhuast piping. He is waiting on the rest of the facts and prices and has my number and will ring me asap.

He sounds real keen, especially when i said how there is alot of demand for upgrades for these engines and that i'm pretty much marketing his product by posting this info on this forum. Well he said that the supplier should be ringing him 2mrw from the US.

So now you will all have to wait yet again. As for the customising he said that my mech got it wrong and that upgrading the turbine wheels for bigger ones is very hard as the turbo's are to small and an upgrade of modifying them shows very little gain. This is one of the main reasons he looked aboard. He also uses this US crowd for packages for EVO etc.

zentac
02-10-2006, 06:59 AM
but I didnt think they had the vr4 in the sates, thats why a lot of people over there do conversions to get vr4s.

enigma
02-10-2006, 07:16 AM
These packages are using not the twin but single turbo conversion methods with a choice of 3 different sizes of Garrett turbos.

You dont need a kit for this its a piece of pi$$! If you want a 'kit' I am sure Rich and I can provide you with details!

bradc
02-10-2006, 07:47 AM
if it is from the US, then I am willing to bet it is for the 3000GT/GTO VR-4 over there that has the 3 litre V6.

99.9% sure

Kieran
02-10-2006, 08:13 AM
if it is from the US, then I am willing to bet it is for the 3000GT/GTO VR-4 over there that has the 3 litre V6.

99.9% sure

I'm inclined to agree with this. Ask the guy what the stock turbos are. If he says they're TD04-9B or similar, then he's talking about the GTO engine.

Eurospec
02-10-2006, 08:13 AM
I agree, if its US, they will be thinking 6G72 VR4. By the way, the manifolds for a single on those in the US are not that easy to come by. There are only about 4 or 5 cars running a single, all of them on custom (read self) made manifolds etc.

It would be nice to see a 'single kit', but in my experiance, it never is a straight kit, there is always a lot of custom work.

Cheers,

Ben.

valmes
02-10-2006, 08:38 AM
I think his "turbo supplier" is referring to either tearstone turbo kit or this http://www.turbo-kits.com/galant_turbo_kits.html ...

I don't know if it is the same kit, but it is for US 3.0 SOHC 6G72 Galant.

Ohh, well... old news then.

enigma
02-10-2006, 08:41 AM
I agree, if its US, they will be thinking 6G72 VR4. By the way, the manifolds for a single on those in the US are not that easy to come by. There are only about 4 or 5 cars running a single, all of them on custom (read self) made manifolds etc.

It would be nice to see a 'single kit', but in my experiance, it never is a straight kit, there is always a lot of custom work.

Cheers,

Ben.

The single conversion I did with Rich on his FTO used 2 rear manifolds. Both outlets from the manifolds point upwards making fabricating pipework to a single turbo where the MAF was really easy. The only real problem we had was sorting the oil and water fittings to the new turbo, but even that wasn't too hard!

I have seen a GTO on the US forums that has adopted a similar approach although the turbo obviously sits the other side. The stock manifolds are great as the are quite stubby and close to the block. Making custom manifolds would be possible, but you would be severely restricted by the space available.

The whole conversion of Richs car was done without the need to remove the engine. I am quite confident that if I were to do it again (and had all the right bits to start with) it would be no more than a weekends graft.

SNWMAD
02-10-2006, 10:59 AM
The guy said that it was for the 2.5liter turbo. He also explianed our turbo's to me so does have the right engine. He seemed pretty sure about the whole thing, but i will find the rest out soon.

What i want is two big puffers. But he gunna get back to me and we will have to see what he says. It the problem when you have a middle man involve it like chinese whispers.

SNWMAD
03-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Well the guy rang again today and would like to know if the 2liter v6 manifolds fit the 2.5 liter engines. He can get in the whole kits but for the 2 liter v6. If that doesn't work he guna start making his own stuff and put th kit ontop of them. He real keen to the point where he is offering a big discount to set up a base for this setup. He needs a guine pig basically. The upgrade for the 2liter is 50% increase but it depends on what turbo you want and how far you want to take it i guess. Well if someone can find out if the mainfolds fit then that would be a start.

zentac
03-10-2006, 02:38 PM
there are loads of kits for the 6a12 (2ltr V6) upgrades but none for the 6a13 (2.5 ltr) and no they dont fit.

zentac
03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
The single conversion I did with Rich on his FTO used 2 rear manifolds. Both outlets from the manifolds point upwards making fabricating pipework to a single turbo where the MAF was really easy. The only real problem we had was sorting the oil and water fittings to the new turbo, but even that wasn't too hard!

I have seen a GTO on the US forums that has adopted a similar approach although the turbo obviously sits the other side. The stock manifolds are great as the are quite stubby and close to the block. Making custom manifolds would be possible, but you would be severely restricted by the space available.

The whole conversion of Richs car was done without the need to remove the engine. I am quite confident that if I were to do it again (and had all the right bits to start with) it would be no more than a weekends graft.

Would certainly agree, most of the "problems", well not problems as such bit just getting bits..

enigma
23-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Its all gone quiet????

Nutter_John
23-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Not after more power are you dave , isn't 700+ enough for you :D

enigma
23-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Not after more power are you dave , isn't 700+ enough for you :D

You can never have too much! I am undecided about the VR4s future.........