PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid - capacity...

White Lightning
21-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, I have just received my Amsoil ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid. I've got 1 litre. Just wanted to double check that this will be enough to change my brake fluid... ?

Spirit
21-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Think you may need more than that mate- poss 1.5 L ?

White Lightning
21-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Think you may need more than that mate- poss 1.5 L ?

Had a feeling you were going to say that :bigcry:

Better get some more ordered then ... so that job is not going to get done this weekend /pan

Wodjno
21-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Had a feeling you were going to say that :bigcry:

Better get some more ordered then ... so that job is not going to get done this weekend /pan

I think you may be ok ! But you will have to make sure you don't waste any.. I have done it with a litre before ! You do have an advantage though, in that you are using Blue Fluid.. You will then know when the good stuff is coming through.. Use 1 of those 1 man brake bleed kits(Halfords for around £5 though you may need an extra piece of clear pipe to make it easier to see if there any bubbles left in the system. And remember ! Back Left, Back Right, Front Left, Front Right :scholar: And most importantly don't let your resorvoir run dry :thinking:

PS.. I'm doing mine later, so i'll let you know how i get on :D

White Lightning
21-09-2006, 05:44 PM
I think you may be ok ! But you will have to make sure you don't waste any.. I have done it with a litre before ! You do have an advantage though, in that you are using Blue Fluid.. You will then know when the good stuff is coming through.. Use 1 of those 1 man brake bleed kits(Halfords for around £5 though you may need an extra piece of clear pipe to make it easier to see if there any bubbles left in the system. And remember ! Back Left, Back Right, Front Left, Front Right :scholar: And most importantly don't let your resorvoir run dry :thinking:

PS.. I'm doing mine later, so i'll let you know how i get on :D

Cool. Think I will give it a go then. :happy:

Although, being the impatient git that I am I've already ordered another litre /pan - at least that'll be spare for next time.

I went to Halfords at lunch and bought the Gunson Eezibleed. This is the first brake fluid change I've ever done so wish me luck :uhoh:

Spirit
21-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Good luck !

/mental note.....stay away from Wayne on track at Donny /lol

Physician
21-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Good luck !

/mental note.....stay away from Wayne on track at Donny /lol

Won't be much of a problem Pete ........

Just follow him and when he goes straight on into the sand trap - wave /Wave

Wodjno
21-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Just take your time with the Bleed Nuts.. A wire Brush and a Good fitting spanner is a must :2thumbsup

White Lightning
21-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Just take your time with the Bleed Nuts.. A wire Brush and a Good fitting spanner is a must :2thumbsup

What size spanner is required?

Would spraying the bleed nuts with WD40 the night before help at all?

stuartturbo
21-09-2006, 07:30 PM
I did mine the other week
A good ring spanner 10mm i think
Did not pre lube my where all ok but i would be worth doing the wd40 as the last thing you want to do is snap a nipple/haz

I only used 1/2 Lt but did full drain res first and bleed till new fluid came out so seemed ok /Hmmm

Kieran
21-09-2006, 07:48 PM
I recently did this - with a partially drained system, I needed about 2/3 a litre. The bleed nut on my calipers was a 7mm one, -But- I have had my calipers completely refurbished, so the originals may be bigger.

stuartturbo
21-09-2006, 07:51 PM
that does make me feel better was unsure if i had bleed enougth

psbarham
21-09-2006, 09:02 PM
the bleed nipples (hee hee i said nipples) on both the V6 and VR4 calipers on mine were 8MM

amsoil
21-09-2006, 09:33 PM
I think you will find that the quantity of brake fluid required is very much dependant upon how worn or new your brake pads are. If they are all new then the quantity of fluid at the back of the caliper piston will be at the minimum and visa versa. Good luck. /juggle

Wodjno
21-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I think you will find that the quantity of brake fluid required is very much dependant upon how worn or new your brake pads are. If they are all new then the quantity of fluid at the back of the caliper piston will be at the minimum and visa versa. Good luck. /juggle

Good Point Don :2thumbsup

Normally when i do full bleed, it is when i am putting new pads in.. :happy:

amsoil
21-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Good Point Don :2thumbsup

Normally when i do full bleed, it is when i am putting new pads in.. :happy:

Thats the best way as otherwise you will be refilling up the resovoir with old fluid that was in the calipers! They people say that the pedal doesn't feel as good as it should and the brakes can fade because of the old fluid. :vogel:

mattpage
14-02-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm planning on fitting stainless hoses and bleeding the brakes on the VR4 on the weekend.
I've never bled brakes on a car before, but I can do it on an MTB with my eyes closed. Its basically the same but I have one question :)

Should you bleed the brakes with the ignition on or off? Basically should the brakes be power assisted when bleeding?
Also how far should you press the pedal, someone told me if you press it too far you can turn some seals inside out or something.

White Lightning
14-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, I did mine with the ignition off (I think!) and pushed almost as hard as I could on the pedal when bleeding ... lets see if anyone else thinks differently ...

bernmc
14-02-2007, 09:01 PM
You're only going to get power assist with the engine running - works off vacuum. No need for that just bleed with steady pedal pushes and don't let the resevoir run below the min mark. I pushed the pedal to the floor and nothing seems to have turned inside out (erk!)

Nick Mann
14-02-2007, 10:39 PM
As said - no need for power assistance. Some people say that you shouldn't push the pedal to the floor as you will push the piston further past the seal than it normally goes. Personally, I don't worry about that and I haven't had a problem. Yet!!+

Throbbe
15-02-2007, 10:29 AM
If you're worried, just stick your other foot under the brake pedal to stop it going to the floor.

mattpage
18-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Bleed went well. Only small problem was one of the valves didnt want to unscrew.

Nutter_John
19-02-2007, 09:37 AM
blow torch on the nut for about 30 seconds will losen them Mat , Sheep lover wrote a good article about this in the members section

mattpage
19-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeh tried a blow torch, will try it again though. I followed the article, great writeup! :)