PDA

View Full Version : What's up with VR-4 prices!!?

jaimz
21-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I thought I'd start up a thread about the way VR-4 prices seem to be bottoming out over here - the topic came up at the meet last Saturday, and we just kinda stood there shaking our heads... :end:

I've seen dealers selling '97 VR-4s with reasonable mileage (i.e. under 100k) for $7,500. Mike said he'd seen one for sale for somewhere around $4000, and my work mate was offered $4,500 for his Manual Type-S as a trade in.

I just can't honestly believe that a vehicle of such performance and refinement can bought for that amount of money! The price of a given car tends to 'plateau', and I thought a good example VR-4 would never sell for much less than 10k. You still can't buy a 93 Evolution Lancer for that kind of money...

Is this part of the general trend away from fuel-hungry cars..?

Any comments..?

Kenneth
21-09-2006, 10:38 PM
I thought I'd start up a thread about the way VR-4 prices seem to be bottoming out over here - the topic came up at the meet last Saturday, and we just kinda stood there shaking our heads... :end:

I've seen dealers selling '97 VR-4s with reasonable mileage (i.e. under 100k) for $7,500. Mike said he'd seen one for sale for somewhere around $4000, and my work mate was offered $4,500 for his Manual Type-S as a trade in.

I just can't honestly believe that a vehicle of such performance and refinement can bought for that amount of money! The price of a given car tends to 'plateau', and I thought a good example VR-4 would never sell for much less than 10k. You still can't buy a 93 Evolution Lancer for that kind of money...

Is this part of the general trend away from fuel-hungry cars..?

Any comments..?

I think it is a combination of that and also the volume of vehicles in the market. Galant/Legnums are fairly common. VR-4s are so common there is no real prestige in owning one.

Robotnik123
21-09-2006, 10:52 PM
If I had the space to keep it, I'd consider buying a spare. Why not eh?

d i c k i e s
21-09-2006, 11:50 PM
If I had the space to keep it, I'd consider buying a spare. Why not eh?

me too.

KiwiTT
22-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Two Reasons - Fuel Usage, Service Requirements

jaimz
22-09-2006, 03:02 AM
Two Reasons - Fuel Usage, Service Requirements

Hmmmm... those two drawbacks apply to a huge number of cars though - and do you think everyone in the market for a car truly looks into the cost of servicing before buying? Nobody would buy a second hand European import otherwise!
I mean, you need to service VR-4s well to get the most out of them... but they'll still provide a stonkingly fast ride for someone who services it themselves... or not at all.

This still doesn't account for the disparity with other similar vehicles though... look at a '98 GTB Legacy (sorry)... they're holding their value better.

Could it still be the brake sensor recall issue thingy do you think..? It's how they came down into my price range in the first place, but I would've thought everyone was after that by now. AND it only affected tiptronics, so why aren't manuals holding their value..?

Food for thought perhaps...

Robotnik123
22-09-2006, 03:29 AM
Mitsubishis don't hold there value as well as Subarus. It has been like that for a while. People see subies as more of a prestige marque and in the main they are better built, so it makes sense really.

Hmmmm... those two drawbacks apply to a huge number of cars though - and do you think everyone in the market for a car truly looks into the cost of servicing before buying? Nobody would buy a second hand European import otherwise!
I mean, you need to service VR-4s well to get the most out of them... but they'll still provide a stonkingly fast ride for someone who services it themselves... or not at all.

This still doesn't account for the disparity with other similar vehicles though... look at a '98 GTB Legacy (sorry)... they're holding their value better.

Could it still be the brake sensor recall issue thingy do you think..? It's how they came down into my price range in the first place, but I would've thought everyone was after that by now. AND it only affected tiptronics, so why aren't manuals holding their value..?

Food for thought perhaps...

Rossco Type-S
22-09-2006, 06:59 AM
There has been some go really cheap in japan too.

The other day a 1999 Manual with 80Km went for $6500

bradc
22-09-2006, 08:35 AM
I think it isn't really worth worrying about, we've already got one, we may as well use it.

I think it is down to a number of things, there are lots of them in NZ, petrol price is high, and they are getting a little old now

JMO
23-09-2006, 04:00 AM
Well I am looking at getting into one soon, i am in OZ and they have only just become available to Import, they are going for between 10,000 and 18,000 landed?

bradc
23-09-2006, 05:04 AM
That seems about right, we've seen a handful of aussie guys come on here recently, and they are all about that price.