PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Touch Screen Audio System

zmikep
07-11-2003, 01:19 PM
I have just purchased a 98 Legnum VR4 which has come with the touch screen navigation system/audio system. Its all in japanese and incrediby hard to use. I want to take it out but it is also use to control the Air Conditioning. Has anybody taken the screen out before or managed to get it reloaded with an english system.

It seams buggy to me anyway, never brings up the screen you want when you want it to. THe car is about to become an audio demo car for big biys toys and i am hoping i will still be able to use the air con once i have removed the touch screen. If anybody has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
zmikep

grolschie
16-02-2004, 11:06 PM
When I bought my Legnum, I got the car alarm install guys to just rip out all the gps gear and replace with a coin tray. It's probably landfill now. :-D

Kieran
16-02-2004, 11:10 PM
I have just purchased a 98 Legnum VR4 which has come with the touch screen navigation system/audio system. Its all in japanese and incrediby hard to use. I want to take it out but it is also use to control the Air Conditioning. Has anybody taken the screen out before or managed to get it reloaded with an english system.

It seams buggy to me anyway, never brings up the screen you want when you want it to. THe car is about to become an audio demo car for big biys toys and i am hoping i will still be able to use the air con once i have removed the touch screen. If anybody has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
zmikep

The system you're referring to is the MMCS. So far, no-one knows of anywhere that converts them, i'm afraid.

If you're getting shot of the MMCS, I'll have it! I'll PM you!

Spirit
16-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Could this be Kieran's lucky day ? :-D

i3ooyah
17-02-2004, 12:02 AM
wat about getting a sticker place to make up lil stickers in english to put ova the jap writing? & install a NZ map for the gps system?

Spirit
17-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Not sure anyone can put another map on can they ? Has this been done ?

i3ooyah
17-02-2004, 12:21 AM
isnt there a cd slot in the back for the gps system?

u can do it on normal gps systems so i assumed u could on this one, i know thats a dangerous thing.

Kieran
17-02-2004, 08:24 AM
The problem with the MMCS is that the maps are produced by Sumitomo Electric Industries and appear to be proprietary. I don't think they're in the standard NAVIKEN format. Either that or the CDs are Code Locked to the MMCS units. I found this all out when Dave and I pilfered Derek's Map CD!

Regardind stickers.... Well that's OK for the buttons, but the LCD screen displays Japanese characters! :-D Think stickers here could be a pain in the A$$ ;)

dickytim
22-04-2004, 08:39 PM
I guess poor sods like us are going to have to learn Japanese

landy
22-04-2004, 11:30 PM
The start of this thread is quite old. I wonder if zmikep is still about and still wants to get rid of his MMCS (still hoping for you Kieran)

Spirit
23-04-2004, 07:32 AM
The start of this thread is quite old. I wonder if zmikep is still about and still wants to get rid of his MMCS (still hoping for you Kieran)

His dream is almost fulfilled, he has a transplant from Project VX to his lined up already ;)

Kieran
23-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Cheers for the thought Landy :) As pete says, it looks like the VX will shortly be donating a system! :-b

SGHOM
23-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Just had a chat with the guy's at www.technicar.ltd.uk they've just fitted my radar. According to them, people have been trying for years to convert the sat nav to UK spec, without success.
They're is a UK company which claims to do this, but all is not quite as it seems !! As far as they are concerned, the only way to do it, is to install a PAL to NTSC converter. these cost from £100 to £300 depending on quality. You can then install any sat nav unit you wish, but it will not be touch screen as it is now, It will only work by remote control.
The rest of the touch screen controls, IE; radio, air con etc, are unaffected.
A decent UK sat nav system will set you back up to £1000 !! So, is it really worth it ??
If anyone wants to search e'bay for a cheap system, & have a go !! let me know !!

hope this helps. :-D