PDA

View Full Version : roof rack/bars

strapping young lad
22-09-2006, 01:40 PM
rather than mount a cycle rack at the rear of the car i was looking at the mont blanc cycle rack which mount on the roof bars..

hence my question.

which roof bars best suit the galant i have and where would i get them from?

cheers

dyf

colVR4
22-09-2006, 02:09 PM
I recently bought a full Thule roof rack system which is excellent. I bought it from www.roofbox.co.uk for a good price. You can then buy the Thule Freeride mountain bike mounting kits for them which are very good and so easy to use.

strapping young lad
22-09-2006, 02:53 PM
is these them?
TU_RBP_1014

colVR4
22-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Thats the one, the rapid system. You will need the foot pack, the steel or aero bars (I opted for the aero bars as they are less draggy and quieter) and the adapter kit. (approx £120)
You will then just need the mountain bike mounting kit. I went for the Thule FreeRide 530. (c£30 for 1 or c£27 each for 2 or more)

strapping young lad
22-09-2006, 04:41 PM
nicely spotted col

so have you gone in the car with the rack on plus bikes..?

whats it like?

secure?
noisy?
safe to drive (not gonna fall off is it!)

colVR4
23-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Drove all the way to Cumbria with them on. Had two bikes on top and was managing 80+ on the motorway with very little noise. Even after a long run the bikes were still rock solid in their mountings.

Point to note is to not rely on the locks that come with the roof rack, we had one of the bikes stolen when thieves ripped the whole mounting off the rack which snapped the lock. ALWAYS secure your bikes with proper bikes locks against a tree of something.

strapping young lad
23-09-2006, 02:14 PM
ah yes dont worry i carry a padlock rope thing with me when i stop somewhere

the car mount would only be used for transit not storage

ta

d

strapping young lad
26-09-2006, 07:24 PM
before i commit can anyone here confirm whether this will fit my roof (is it similar to a vr4?)

colVR4
26-09-2006, 11:12 PM
It will definately fit your car. It is listed for the Galant Saloon and doesn't specify whether it is V6 or VR4 as they both use the same basic body shape.

strapping young lad
26-09-2006, 11:18 PM
excellent!

found another site by googling for thule and mont blanc and it seems comparable on prices but there is a phone number so i can at least ring them and ask

the ironic thing is that i was in Hawes most of last week on a course and roofbox.co.uk is based in sedbergh!

if only i'd known

strapping young lad
27-09-2006, 03:26 PM
bought it from leisureshack.co.uk in the end

bought thule jobbies with aero bars and the pro carrier (thule)

180 squid but its piece of mind that im buying too

coming friday :)

strapping young lad
30-09-2006, 08:41 PM
did it ****e (arrive)

i phoned leisureshack and interlink was sending it, rang them bout 2pm and they said they would chase it, i rang again at 4.30pm cos they didnt get back to me and said it was checked but not on the truck, apparently lost in post..

yes well i dont give a f... i want my kit, said it should be here monday

we shall see :(