PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic VS. Manual

roy5
24-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Hi There,

I know this is debated alot on this website, about tiptronic vs manual.. but what I really want to know is...

Are the Tiptronic galants, much more likely to break down that manual... or not really , is it just a myth?:huh: If it does break down, are the manuals much much cheaper to fix?

Thanks.

Spirit
24-09-2006, 09:10 AM
The torque converter seal is the biggest weak point, but once fixed it should be fine for the remaining lifetime of ownership.....so if you pick one up already done it should be fine. They are excellent auto boxes IMO, and this is the only car I have had as an auto and I have had two of them.

Axeboy
24-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Ive had both, and id have a tiptronic again..

Dont forget that a new clutch on the manual isnt a small job, or cheap....

roy5
24-09-2006, 11:47 AM
The torque converter seal is the biggest weak point, but once fixed it should be fine for the remaining lifetime of ownership.....so if you pick one up already done it should be fine. They are excellent auto boxes IMO, and this is the only car I have had as an auto and I have had two of them.

I see, the dealer selling a tiptronic one, said the transmission has recently been serviced..would you guess this includes the torque converter seal being done ...have you got any ideas, ?

Sorry, im not really clever about cars.

Thanks

WildCards
24-09-2006, 11:49 AM
The TC seal isn't part of the service. It'll mean the ATF oil has been replaced which is good.

roy5
24-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I see..
By the way this car is a 1.8L VRG , so no turbo/v6 here.

I kinda prefer the automatic (tiptronic) gear box, but im just worried about the reliability rumours and not having decent acceleration when i want to.. afterall it did seem like the car was more effecient and powerful in the auto mode than tiptronic, so i dont even know if thers much use in having the tiptroni feature

Then again, the reason that i dont want manual is of course the convenience..

does anyone know if the 1.8 ones have way better acceleration if its manual, or its just a tiny diff.thanks so much

bradc
24-09-2006, 08:17 PM
The vrg's have a 4 speed auto, and imho the smaller engines don't have enough torque over a wide enough rev range to actually let you enjoy them on a daily basis with a 4 speed gearbox. I would really try and find a 5 speed manual, or go with a facelift 2.4l 4 cylinder auto, those have a 5 speed box.

d i c k i e s
27-09-2006, 11:40 PM
get a v6...

zyrofillica
28-09-2006, 05:09 AM
hi Roy5. Im very interested in getting a manual too as i feel the tiptronic is insufficient for my engine. Im on a 2.0 GDI which has 20bhp more than urs yet 0-100 is a measely 10.6secs (plus im asian BUILT! so minus 40 kg off the weight lolz)

5 speed is the way to go i guess. =) but if its too much an inconveniece for u then better to get a auto and forget the acceleration. anyway 11+ sec is quite acceptable right?

bradc
28-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Yeah my 1.8 gdi took forever to accelerate as well, but it was quite nice to cruise along in at 110kmh