PDA

View Full Version : another track day ??

SGHOM
24-09-2006, 08:38 AM
kill two birds with one stone ?? /Camera

I never spotted it, but Chris did. /GJ there's another trackday at donington on sunday 1st October !! :bananadan The very same day we will all be waking up with hangovers !

I was just thinking.. that seeing as a lot of you have made the 500 mile round trip for just 45 minutes on track.... anyone fancy stopping a few hours longer on the sunday, & getting the usual 20 min sessions per hour ??

It's also at the 'out of season' price of just £99 [ pre booked ]

I know its short notice & you've all got to get back home for work on monday etc, but it would be a shame to miss out on more track time at donny whilst your on the doorstep ??
:thinking2

If anyone else fancys it, I will definatley track my Saaab !! :helmet:

/EDIT; you'll be able to get at least 8 x 20 min sessions in during the day !! all for £99.

Roadrunner
24-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Oh, could be tempted ... :D

HJM
24-09-2006, 07:32 PM
You FECKER /wall

H

Spirit
24-09-2006, 07:56 PM
I would have thought the "Usual Suspects" would have been all booked up already ?

HJM
24-09-2006, 10:21 PM
NO NO DO NOT TEMPT ME I MUST NOT MUST RESIST MUST RESIST (I've got monday off ?) MUST RESIST /pan

If and its a BIG IF, but if I do this trackday - Jane will kill Derek !!!!!!!!

Nice knowing you Derek :evilgrin:

H

Spirit
24-09-2006, 10:25 PM
No way I can do it, so the tempation isn't there.....phew !

Got to drive to Blackpool the Monday morning, so have to drive back the Sunday to drop Shaz off and also pick up someone from work to drive up with me.

Jimbo
24-09-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm sorely tempted, and normally that'd be the only moment of thought I'd give myself before confirming!!! But my car hasn't been that happy on track this year so I'm not sure....maybe I'll see how Saturday goes first and see if my gearbox/engine overheating problems are under control. National circuit is going to be a lot easier on my 'box, that's for certain!

Kieran
24-09-2006, 10:52 PM
How come your car is overheating then Jimbo? Is it okay in normal driving?

HJM
25-09-2006, 07:07 AM

Its because he drives it on track like a Biatch :rolleyes4

I'm amazed he doesn't overheat those fancy brakes - mmmphh... where's the sick bag /yes

H

Kieran
25-09-2006, 08:13 AM
I see, lol... Self inflicted then;)

Wouter
25-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Derek, I will join you on track!!

The Spazda will try to keep up with your saab!

HJM
25-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Go Wouter Go !

Shame, now decided not to do the sunday for 3 reasons:

1. Probably going to be feeling rough sunday morning /Fever

2. Don't want Jane to kill Derek /pan

3. Doing another trackday at a 'new' circuit in October :2thumbsup/Steeringw /Poms

H

HJM
25-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Shame, now decided not to do the sunday ........

Well done - right decision and all by yourself too /Devil5

J :)

Spirit
25-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Doing another trackday at a 'new' circuit in October :2thumbsup/Steeringw /Poms

Where ? When ? Sounds interesting....there are a few in October

HJM
25-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Give you a big clue - its very near to JF2 /yes

H

Physician
25-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Give you a big clue - its very near to JF2 /yes

H

Nearest is Mallory Park ...... or Bruntingthorpe?

SGHOM
25-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Derek, I will join you on track!!

The Spazda will try to keep up with your saab!

your Mazderati will wipe the floor with my Saaaab !! /yes /Steeringw /Steeringw

I'm hoping Rhianne will stay long enough on the sunday [ weather permitting] to have a couple of sessions herself !! /JawDroppi :idea2:

At Donny last time around, she was well up for it. /Steeringw but I've just called her to say she can take my car on the track, and............................................... ................................... silence !! :anxious: :anxious:

HJM
25-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Nearest is Mallory Park ...... or Bruntingthorpe?

Correct - Mallory on Sat 21st October -

Any takers ?

The Usual Suspect will be there - look for the red gazebo (weather permitting !)

Should be fun as Mallory is really for small powerful cars, but I like the twisty tight circuits as there is more opportunity for grounds maintenance :thumbsup:

H

SGHOM
25-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Should be fun as Mallory is really for small powerful cars, but I like the twisty tight circuits as there is more opportunity for grounds maintenance :thumbsup:

H

It's more a bike circuit... but good fun non the less. :thumbsup: & good for snapping belts.. eh Rich ?? /yes :rolleyes4

SGHOM
25-09-2006, 05:49 PM
just text Simon, & he is another 'checks bank balance' possibility !! /yes /Steeringw

psbarham
25-09-2006, 05:51 PM

Any takers ?

The Usual Suspect will be there - look for the red gazebo (weather permitting !)

H
cool , i love mallory it is so much fun , and a derek says its great on a bike ( 6 laps to kill a rear tyre :rolleyes4 ) but as for small cars ,well, my dad used to go testing there with Mclaren in the late 60's with can-am cars , the funniest being testing an M8 something or other with an 8.2 litre big block chevy and 2 hoofing great turbos attached , it was a customers car and the driver (can't remeber who ) put it into the lake on the inside of gerrards .
just watch out for the devils elbow , the chicane before the pit straight , its off camber and has a nasty habit of sucking the cars into the pit wall , oh and have fun on the exit of gerrards ;) (simon would have sooooo much fun )

SGHOM
25-09-2006, 05:58 PM
just watch out for the devils elbow , the chicane before the pit straight

that is SOOO not a corner !! :anxious: :shocked: :shocked: I've only done pax laps at Mallory, but take me down the craner curves at donington at 300 mph..... rather than get that one wrong !! :shocked: :stars:

Jimbo
25-09-2006, 05:59 PM

I'll probably have a better answer after the first session on Saturday, but basically it boils (ha!) down to two things - 1. engine overheating, and 2. gearbox overheating, usually after about 5 laps of hard graft.

The engine has hopefully been resolved by giving the coolant system a complete and thorough flush and refill, but the gearbox problem is partially due to the way I drive the car on track (mucho engine breaking), but also due to the fact the 'box is probably knackered after my tc seal leak last year. Once it gets really hot it simply refuses to change up from 2nd, and if I try it too many times the N light starts flashing indicating I've cooked it...and this is fairly new amsoil as well.

Never ever had any problems with overheating on either VR4 until now, but I'm comfy that these are the reasons. At least it never even begins to overheat on the road, it's completely faultless in that respect, even the 2nd gear problem, and even when it's being "pushed". Mind you, there's no way to simulate sustained track driving on the road (unless you're incredibly gifted....or insane).

Jimbo
25-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Question for Rich (Physician): what gears are required for the corners at Mallory in a tip VR4? Please say 3rd and 4th, please say 3rd and 4th, please say.....

Physician
25-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Question for Rich (Physician): what gears are required for the corners at Mallory in a tip VR4? Please say 3rd and 4th, please say 3rd and 4th, please say.....

3rd and 4th .................

Except the hairpin = 2nd :embarasse

Video:

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/mpark.mov

Physician
25-09-2006, 09:21 PM
......& good for snapping belts.. eh Rich ?? /yes :rolleyes4

Pre new pulley days - yes ... ugh, the memories! :embarasse

BraindG
25-09-2006, 09:28 PM
hehe, i wish i had the money to have so much fun :( - im in the wrong job... cant even afford an oil change :embarasse

SGHOM
25-09-2006, 11:46 PM
hehe, i wish i had the money to have so much fun :( - im in the wrong job... cant even afford an oil change :embarasse

be there on the sunday & we'll sort it. :curtain: /Banana

BraindG
25-09-2006, 11:53 PM
be there on the sunday & we'll sort it. :curtain: /Banana
I dont have to sell my body again do i? - I hated the last time you made me do that.

Kieran
26-09-2006, 12:04 AM
I dont have to sell my body again do i? - I hated the last time you made me do that.

Oh no, Barry and Derek at it again...

/Plays the 'Terry and June' theme music...

Simon
26-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Computer says no! ive too many /juggle in the air............ (not saying whether the "computer" is Claire/cash machine/babby sitter/common sense :curtain:

D are you still selling your track sessions on JF2? just thinking! :curtain:

Spirit
26-09-2006, 07:35 AM
D are you still selling your track sessions on JF2? just thinking! :curtain:

Think they're sold now mate

WildCards
26-09-2006, 10:39 AM

Any takers ?

H

I might, depending on moneys? I'll have a search...

/EDIT - hmm, budget might not stretch to that. I'll see nearer the time.

HJM
26-09-2006, 12:40 PM
If you can't stretch to tracking - come for some pax laps /Steeringw

H

WildCards
26-09-2006, 02:32 PM
If you can't stretch to tracking - come for some pax laps /Steeringw

H

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Physician
26-09-2006, 02:50 PM
A bit of advice for those who don't know the circuit ........

If you are as unhealthy as me you will want to partake of the best circuit breakfast in the UK ..... I always start the day off with eggs, bacon, fried bread, sausage, tomato, black pudding and baked beans. :bananadan

(Large dump valve then obligatory)

WildCards
26-09-2006, 02:56 PM
You talking about Mallory Rich? I went up there on Saturday night to watch some Mountain Bike racing, i've never been before surprisingly, but it did look a very nice, qaint little place.

Physician
26-09-2006, 08:04 PM
You talking about Mallory Rich? I went up there on Saturday night to watch some Mountain Bike racing, i've never been before surprisingly, but it did look a very nice, qaint little place.

Yep, Mallory Cafe infield. http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/rbg.gif