PDA

View Full Version : groaning and humming - not another problem?

scc
24-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I hear this humming/groaning type noise from what I think is from the front two tyres when I travel around 40mph+. Goes up in pitch when I travel faster. All this in a straight line.

My tyres are fairly new so I don't think it is them wearing out.

Anyone had this?
Cheers,
scc

Kieran
24-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Wheel bearing?

Jack the car up, get someone to hold the steering wheel steady and see if there's any play in the wheels - rock'em with your hands at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock - see if there's any movement?

Paul Beazer
24-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Loose front wheelarch liners??

bernmc
25-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Wheel bearing?

Paul Beazer
25-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Wheel bearing?
Echo?

bernmc
25-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Echo?

Helloooooo?

Paul Beazer
25-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Helloooooo?
Heeelllllloooooooooo?

scc
25-09-2006, 08:34 PM
'ello 'ello echo?

A mechanic took a look today and carried out what Kieran suggested.
Basically it was solid as a rock. He could hear the humming but couldn't tell which side it was coming from. The pitch didn't change when he took it around corners and said until that happens don't worry about it.

It is still annoying with the humming noise!

scc

BraindG
25-09-2006, 10:07 PM
How tight were these corners, and how fast were you going?

When mine went, i could hear humming noise, which would turn into a nice grinding noise at about 50 going round a rather tight bend coming of the M60 onto the M56..

scc
26-09-2006, 12:32 AM
How tight were these corners, and how fast were you going?

When mine went, i could hear humming noise, which would turn into a nice grinding noise at about 50 going round a rather tight bend coming of the M60 onto the M56..

Only about 35 mph weaving around on a good stretch of road.

There was a strange grinding/cracking noise 4 weeks ago from from passenger side after I turned a corner at about 10 mph. Stopped the car to check, and drove off again and no noises. Probably related to onset of wheel bearing deterioration?

scc

BraindG
26-09-2006, 12:35 AM
If you can get some kinda rotation your wheel (as kieran mentioned), then listen to the noise the bearing make, you may hear it.. Mines still in the garage, and makes an awefull gridning noise when you spin it around...

cmj
26-09-2006, 02:03 PM
My V6 done that, wheel bearing both had to be replaced. The bearing itself comes as part of a complete unit so costs more....

Roadrunner
26-09-2006, 08:22 PM
There was a strange grinding/cracking noise 4 weeks ago from from passenger side after I turned a corner at about 10 mph
That sounds like a CV joint about to die. Humming/grinding noise would fit that diagnosis too. I suggest you get them checked soon. If the nearside CV joint lets go, your car will turn sharp left at speed! If there's no play in the wheels (as Kieran mentions), your bearings are OK.

scc
26-09-2006, 10:51 PM
That sounds like a CV joint about to die. Humming/grinding noise would fit that diagnosis too. I suggest you get them checked soon. If the nearside CV joint lets go, your car will turn sharp left at speed! If there's no play in the wheels (as Kieran mentions), your bearings are OK.

OMG does it get worse than this :(

All four wheels spun freely with no noise at all when the car was jacked up.
I just thought that the event of the previous month where the awful grinding noise that appeared for about 10 seconds which dissapeared after I stopped and moved off again is related to the current humming noise?

Imagine if the bearing(s) and CV joint(s) had to be replaced!
Damn these pot holed roads! :klingon:

scc

scc
09-10-2006, 09:40 PM
The humming changes and increases in volume when I turn left. No change to the note when I go straight or right.

what does this mean?

Cheers,
scc

Wodjno
09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Drivers side wheel :smash: bearing