PDA

View Full Version : buying legnum Vr4's

AdamK
08-11-2003, 11:18 AM
I am looking to replace my vauxhall omega estate,I was on the brink of purchasing a civic type-r when I noticed a vr4 legnum in auto trader.A quick hunt around the net and I end up here.So having never seen one anywhere or even heard of them, should I get one?My main questions are 1.are they reliable ? I do quite a few miles:D 2.Are there any differences I should know about 3.what sort of mpg do you lot get? 4.Where do you get sensible insurance quotes from?
I know thats alot of questions its just your the only place I know of to ask.
Thanks inadvance for any help
aDaM.

Roadrunner
08-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Good choice!

OK, briefly:
1. Very reliable INSERT INTO post VALUES (they're Japanese! :) ) but, like most cars, best reliability comes from regular servicing. On these, major services are every 9k miles INSERT INTO post VALUES (expect to pay around £300-£500 depending on what and where you get done, up to £900 if service includes cambelt change - every 54k miles) and they require a fluids change INSERT INTO post VALUES (oil, AYC) every 4.5k miles INSERT INTO post VALUES (expect to pay £120-£250 depending on where you get it done).
2. Differences? To what? They're not really like Omegas or Civics ;) :D but the Legnums are mechanically identical to Galant saloons of the same age. Recent INSERT INTO post VALUES (1996 on) are 2.5 litre 24-valve 4-cam V6 with intercooled twin turbos. Latest generation INSERT INTO post VALUES (late 1998 on) have Active Yaw Control INSERT INTO post VALUES (AYC); earlier models have traction control. All are permanent 4WD. Most later models have 5-speed INVECS II automatic boxes with sports INSERT INTO post VALUES (tiptronic) mode, fewer with 5-speed manual boxes.
3. Expect between 18 and 21 mpg in normal INSERT INTO post VALUES (spirited ;) ) driving. Up to 25mpg on motorway journeys. Single figures :eek: if you're particularly lead-footed.
4. Insurance depends on your personal history of course. Mine is through The Policy Shop (http://www.policyshop-insurance.co.uk/cgi-bin/PolicyShop.storefront) for around £550 INSERT INTO post VALUES (old git, good risk, no claims, good area, 7 years NCD); others like Adrian Flux INSERT INTO post VALUES (who advertise on this site). Get a quote before you buy ;)

Hope this helps.
Brian

Nick VR4
08-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Hi Adam

And welcome

I think Brian had said most stuff
These car need a servise every 4500 miles and a major service at 45000 miles
Cambelt plugs etc and depending location and dealer can cost around £800 - £900

A must is a good service record

Kieran
08-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by H.7
...Recent INSERT INTO post VALUES (1996 on) are 2.5 litre 24-valve 4-cam V6 with intercooled twin turbos. Latest generation INSERT INTO post VALUES (late 1998 on) have Active Yaw Control INSERT INTO post VALUES (AYC); earlier models have traction control...

Eh?! I thought the inclusion of AYC was down to whether or not it was a Type-S or a Type-V? I thought the pre-facelift ones also had AYC and TC? :confused: :Ponder:

Spirit
08-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Kieran
Eh?! I thought the inclusion of AYC was down to whether or not it was a Type-S or a Type-V? I thought the pre-facelift ones also had AYC and TC? :confused: :Ponder:

On the pre-facelift ones TC was still an option - I have it aswell as AYC but some don't.

SGHOM
08-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Hi ! AdamK !! :D are we just in time to save you from purchasing a hamster driven tarts car then ?? :D :D . nothing againts civic's, :Ponder: but moving from an Omega est, to a Legnum seems a good idea to me. As you will find posted elsewhere on the site, they are not the cheapest cars to own & run, but they are worth every penny if it's smiles per mile you want !!

zedy1
08-11-2003, 11:29 PM
most has been said all i wanna say i have two and im very proud parts service ect aint too bad i recently did my engine over all it took was abit of personnel time and £1k for the engine INSERT INTO post VALUES (me thinks barrys old one :D ) if your abit of a diy then most service parts are the same as the 2.5 v6 galant eg plugs filters ect