PDA

View Full Version : Jerky shifting from 2 to 3 gear

Kalle
27-09-2006, 08:47 AM
After having replaced all seals and filling up to the correct level with Amsoil ATF, most of my previous problems with the gearbox is gone... But now I have something that worries me a bit, when the auto is shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear it seems to hesitate or shifts jerky (don't really know how to describe it) This symptom occurs both with car warmed up and when car is cold. However it does not always shift like that, sometimes it shifts as smooth as the other gearchanges..

Anyone familiar with these symptoms? What could be the cause?

bradc
27-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Does it happen at a certain throttle position? I found that with my box 4th to 5th was sometimes a little jerky with the throttle open just enough to keep the car at 70kmh to 100kmh. With no pressure on the throttle at all, or when accelerating it wasn't jerky at all.

It doesn't matter now anyway, my car has a real gearbox now :)

Nick Mann
27-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Mine does exactly the same after an ECU reset. It takes 500-1000 miles to settle down again. Drive smoothly in full auto mode as that helps mine learn quickly - if I am messing around in tip then it takes ages to settle down.

Wodjno
27-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Mine has done this for a long long time now.. But hasn't had any ill affect..
How i would describe it as though you are driving a manual transmissioned car and when you go to gear cahnge you leave foot on accelerator, quickly dump the clutch, change up a gear and let clutch out suddenly. The revs rise and fall approx 200rpm very quickly and you get a thump as the gears re-engage.. Quite aggressive :2thumbsup

Kieran
27-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Kalle - Check your engine/gearbox mounts.

Wodjno
14-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Kalle - Check your engine/gearbox mounts.

Are there seperate mounts for each gear Kieran :huh2:

ritch_w
14-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Mine does exactly the same after an ECU reset. It takes 500-1000 miles to settle down again. Drive smoothly in full auto mode as that helps mine learn quickly - if I am messing around in tip then it takes ages to settle down.

I've found the same after an ECU reset.

Also a few thousand miles after changing to AMSOIL i found the changes were getting a bit harsh again, read somewhere on here about the amsoil removing "varnishes" caused by lesser oils or something, another ECU reset and changes are even smoother.

It may be that an ECU reset is required every now and then as the AMSOIL does its magic on the crap left by lesser / cooked oils....

maybe i'm talking rubbish and someone will know more on this :curtain:

Ollpen
18-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I just discovered the same problem with my gearbox :(

It has a jerky shifting when the car is cold from 1st to 2nd gear, could take a second or 3 to get gear in from parked when cold.

Also, occationally on other gears it revs up between gear changes and doesnt seem to know for sure when to change the gear.

Biggest problem is as described above between 2nd and 3rd gear, and regardless of if i use auto or tiptronic it revs up like a full throttle gearchange on a manual, and sometimes slams the gears in pretty bad:(

Is my gearbox totally fecked, or could this be fixed rather cheaply (read in comparision to sourcing a new gearbox from Japan, send it to Sweden and pay to have it installed)?

Im selling my car regardless, but im not intrested in selling a defect car to a happy believer.

ritch_w
18-10-2006, 03:39 PM
I just discovered the same problem with my gearbox :(

It has a jerky shifting when the car is cold from 1st to 2nd gear, could take a second or 3 to get gear in from parked when cold.

Also, occationally on other gears it revs up between gear changes and doesnt seem to know for sure when to change the gear.

Biggest problem is as described above between 2nd and 3rd gear, and regardless of if i use auto or tiptronic it revs up like a full throttle gearchange on a manual, and sometimes slams the gears in pretty bad:(

Is my gearbox totally fecked, or could this be fixed rather cheaply (read in comparision to sourcing a new gearbox from Japan, send it to Sweden and pay to have it installed)?

Im selling my car regardless, but im not intrested in selling a defect car to a happy believer.

when was the gearbox last serviced and what oil was used???

I'd suggest uu try resetting the ECU 1st, see how that goes and then do a full gearbox oil flush & service with AMSOIL

Ollpen
18-10-2006, 05:47 PM
I changed the easy part of the gearbox yesterday, no luck really but i might try to reset ECU once again and let it idle for a long while before using.

Does the "easy" gearbox oil content ever get in contact with the "hard to change" oil if you know what i mean? :)

I could try to use the rest of my amsoil for a complete change but i dont have enough to do them both again.

ritch_w
18-10-2006, 07:20 PM
I changed the easy part of the gearbox yesterday, no luck really but i might try to reset ECU once again and let it idle for a long while before using.

Does the "easy" gearbox oil content ever get in contact with the "hard to change" oil if you know what i mean? :)

I could try to use the rest of my amsoil for a complete change but i dont have enough to do them both again.

yes is the answer, basically you have just wasted 4l of lovely new amsoil - it will now be contaminated with the 4 or 5L that was left in the rest of the gearbox's oil ways.

resetting the ecu may help - this should be done after a gearbox service anyway so the ECU can recalibrate the correct shifting patterns (Kieran had a very post somewhere explaining why).do a proper gearbox service and you should be ok:scholar:

bradc
18-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I think it is important for you to do a full amsoil change and reset the ecu Ollpen, it is the best way to check and see if there really is something wrong with the gearbox or not. At least you know that if you still have problems that there really is something wrong with the gearbox.

Nick Mann
18-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Also be certain that the oil level is correct. The symptoms you describe with it taking time to select a gear from park to drive tends to happen with an incorrect fluid level. Too high is as bad as too low.