PDA

View Full Version : New member needs help

dunlop
03-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a 97 galant vr4 manual saloon, engine code 6A13/EC5A.

I've hit a dead end trying to fit a new clutch (Helix organic).
The gearbox is out with the transfer box still attached and now it seems the gearbox won't go back on with the transfer box attached. I have undone all the bolts holding the transfer box on and prised them apart about an inch but they won't come apart any more.
Does anyone know how to remove the transfer box from the gearbox?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BraindG
03-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Hiya /Wyhy /Welcome

Firstly its a pain in the butt to get it off!!... you really have to give it a good old tug, it will come off. Maybe use a pry bar, but be VERY carefull with it not to damage the rubber seals..

Lillywotsername
03-10-2006, 09:34 AM
/Welcome /Welcome2
Sorry to hear you are having problem....
Unfortunatly I can't help you in the slightest but I know there is more than one person on here that can.

You have come to the right place and if you can wait a while I am sure your the help you need will be given.

Nick Mann
03-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Once you have removed the six bolts, the transfer box will release as you say, about an inch. It is now holding on the drive shaft for the front n/s wheel. You can jack the transfer box away from the gearbox (bolts through the gearbox pushing on the transfer box works, but is awkward and slow) or you can remove the shaft to the transfer box from the gearbox side using a bolt in the end of the shaft and a slide hammer.

Good luck!

There are articles in the members section (£20 well spent?) that cover these topics, plus others. If you get everything to fit, then please take pictures and let us know, as I am thinking of buying a clutch at some point in the future.

BraindG
03-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Some handy threads.

Coverage of my Clutch Changing antics.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11086&highlight=transfer

Dickytims Article - But pictures seem to me missing.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10249&highlight=transfer

Wouter
03-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Hey Nick.... are you not gonna get WRD to fit it then??? :soapbox: :smash:

Nick Mann
03-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Are you trying to finance mods to your new car? :p