PDA

View Full Version : Ecu Light and engine dies

thewaterboy
03-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Hi. Newbie here so bear with any stupidity!!! :rolleyes4

Had my 2.0l gls galant 2 months now.
was fine when i got it.
just got back off my hols and had nothing but trouble with the poor thing......
Ok. car is perfect if you drive on a straight flat road forever and a day BUT as soon as I "Give it some" and by that I mean 80mph+ or hit a hill. bearing in mind i have been to north yorkshire (UK) for a week the car goes cough cough, on comes the ecu warning light and then the car proceded to fire on 2 cylinders and then dies.

If I turn the IGN right off then start the car again all is ok untill i hit a hill or exceed 80 MPH again.

If I thrash it off a standing start she goes like a train, gear changes are fine (Auto box)

I am thinking sensor maybe or poss one of the coilpacks as when she dies the coilpack on the far right cuts out completly. But not 100% as i have heard these go into a limp mode and i guess this could be why the coilpack is cutting out.
HELP

ritch_w
03-10-2006, 10:02 PM
not a clue

but could be worth resetting the ECU / disconnect the battery for 10 mins

MAF sensor

air / vacuum leak??

thewaterboy
03-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Cheers. Tried ECU reset a few days ago.
Will look at vacum lines tomorrow. although the way it just goes dead on 2 cylinders seems to me as if its electrics.

Forgot to say that I had cambelt done recently and its only done it since

Kieran
03-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Cheers. Tried ECU reset a few days ago.
Will look at vacum lines tomorrow. although the way it just goes dead on 2 cylinders seems to me as if its electrics.

Forgot to say that I had cambelt done recently and its only done it since

Ah! That probably has some bearing!

Check your camshaft/crank position sensors (can't remember if the GLS 4G63 has one or both). If they're misaligned it could cause it.

Vacuum lines are a posibility as Ritch says. Maybe check your emission control lines too.... From what I remember, these operate on low throttle positions and then snap shut on Wide open throttle.... could be related?

Check connections to coil packs, and also make sure the spark plug boots are seated correctly - they can *look* like they're in situ when they're not.

I would say throttle potentiometer too, but from what i remember of my old GLS, the sensor and it's wiring shouldn't have been disturbed by a cambelt swap.

And finally, /Welcome - Hope you get it sorted soon! Keep us updated! :)

ritch_w
03-10-2006, 10:23 PM
cambelt sensor?

call Mo (Zedy1) at Galant Spares http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=galantspares?1

he knows everything about galants ;)

thewaterboy
03-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Had a look at the layout. dont think the cam position sensor will have been touched as its on the other end of the cams.

Just seems odd to me that when it goes its just the 1 coil pack that cuts right out. This is why i seemto think its poss the pack itself. Or maybe a HT lead arching causing the pack to shut down.

There does seem to be a wire that disapears behind the cambelt cover. could this be for a crank position sensor?

Subaru ETA
04-10-2006, 06:10 AM
id be checking the crank pos sensor. they are very sensitive! unplug it, clean it with contact cleaner.
could also be damged tone wheel on the crank pully?
also check cam sensor. if there a fault with that it wont know when to fire the coil

thewaterboy
04-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Brill. Is there an easy wasy of testing/cleaning a cam sensor or is it a mechanic job?

Subaru ETA
04-10-2006, 10:43 AM
well its easy....coz im a mechanic! nah seriously all you need in contact cleaner - dont know where you guys can get it on your side of the world! we use wurth contact ol. good ****.
second you need to measure the resistance of the sensor with a multimeter, how ever you would have to know the actual manufacture specs and im a maza mechanic so i dont know!
if you take it to mitsi a faulty sensor would show up when they do a code check

thewaterboy
04-10-2006, 11:31 AM
well talked the local garage to do a diag as it only done it after they mucked around with cambelt. Hope they wont charge me a fee......

Think I agree with you guys now. must be one of the sensors.....

will keep you posted

dave221
04-10-2006, 08:06 PM
My old 2.0gls did exactly the same ... twas the camshaft sensor. (Actually a poor connection where the wires go into the moulding on top of the sensor making the fault intermittent and difficult to diagnose!! )

thewaterboy
05-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Smashing Thanks for letting me know. Car has gone in this morning. Hopefully they will find the problem. If not I will point them in that direction.

Will let you know the outcome

thewaterboy
06-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Well got car back today. Typical Garage can find nothing wrong. Nor can they find any stored fault codes in ECU........ or even get the car to produce the fault while driving!!!!!

Told them that I suspect cam position sensor. They wont pass comment on that. So looks like i'm off to mitsi garage £££££££ :thumbsdow

dave221
06-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Sounds very familiar -- took 3 weeks and two garages to sort mine !! ---Try wiggling the two wires that go into the cam sensor while the engine is running, if it cuts out or hesitates you've found your problem.

thewaterboy
07-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Pulled and pulled at every wire i can find in the engine bay to no avail.......

Thing is if i start pulling wires off willy nilly I am just gonna fill the ecu with fault codes which is not going to help diagnose.

Anyone any ideas where i can get a cheap cam sensor from just to try?
Not dared get a quote from mitsi yet

failing that anyone wanna cheap Galant 2.0 Gls????????