PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 1990 galant mods

Nty2k
09-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone im new to the vr4 site hoping to find some mods for my old galant.I have a 1990 galant glsi 2litre that is all standard engine wise and was wondering if i could get any parts to give it a bit more power.

Kieran
09-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi - Welcome to Club VR-4 :harro:

Whopee! Another GLS owner - Good choice mate!!!:thumb1:
You could do worse than to have a word with Japmetal, one of our members. He's got a 1990 Galant GTi 4WD 4WS, and has been busy modding it;)... He's probably got more knowledge of the 6th Generation Galant than the rest of us:D

KiwiTT
09-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Best not to mod that engine. The DOHC-16v, could be a better unit. You could try an engine swap. INSERT INTO post VALUES (115bhp vs 143bhp, standard). They still use this derivatives of this block in the latest EVOs, I think.

see here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1938) for some ideas.

It may be better to hold your cash for a VR-4 and get a full 260/280 bhp +

Japmetal
10-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi there ! I heard my name mentioned so I thought I'd have a nosey :P

Unfortunately, they're right about the SOHC; there are no mods out there beyond the basic or universal stuff really - the same also goes for the DOHC non-turbo, although alot of the turbo stuff is compatible.

The best bet is to slip in a 6-bolt 4G63 from pretty much any Mitsubishi-badged 2.0 Turbo built between 1989 [the first Galant VR4] and 1993 [the end of the 2g Eclipse & Galant VR4] OR a beasty Evolution engine from either the I, II or III [they changed the layout & spun the engine 180 degrees for the IV, so anything after this wont fit the hole without ALOT of custom work]

These engines were actually used in our Galants, so everything should line up [you may need some custom exhaust bits] altho you'll also need the wiring loom & ECU from the donor-vehicle to make it work. Once you manage this, there's a whole range of tuning parts available since you're then dipping into the same modding pool as that other favourite, the Evolution :cool1:

Styling-wise we're not much better off either, with pretty much the only 'off-the-shelf' mod out there [besides wheels & a few suspension choices] being to fit clear front indicators from a JDM Galant of the same age !

I've got a few custom ideas of my own for my hatchback, but I'm keeping these very much under my hat for the moment !

Nty2k
11-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the replys,much appriciated.Well now i know there aint no mods for my enine i will end the hunt.Mine is neering 150.000 miles now so a gti engine could be on the way.Anybody know how much the engines go for or where to look for one.Also would it be a case of old 2 litre engine out and new gti engine in?or is it going to be a nightmare to do.Cheers