PDA

View Full Version : Replacing lifters under warranty?

4me
09-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Probably more for people in NZ, but does anyone know if the garage is likely to replace the noisy lifters under the AA 3 yeear Extended Warranty you buy with cars?

Driving to work this morning hearing "tick tick tick tick tick tick tick" for the first few blocks drove me nuts.

4me
10-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Ignore me ... just called Mitsubishi ... yes, they will change broken ones under warranty, but said they have trouble finding just the broken one. They won't replace the entire set under warranty unless they are all broken.

zedy1
10-11-2003, 12:23 AM
ask them to replace the broken ones i think they are hinting out that they dont wanna do it. personnally they dont break they just get clogged up with **** and all whats needed is a good clean and theyre like new again

BraindG
10-11-2003, 12:24 AM
they arnt broken..

call them back and mention the following..

they accepted the fact that the 1mm hole was insuficcient to allow suffiecient oil flow in, and out fo the tappets.. they now have one with a 3mm hole, which allows plenty oil to move freely, thus reducing the tapity tap noise you hear..

so, unless someone corrects me.. they are not borken.. just blocked, or restricted from filling up with oil...

Kieran
10-11-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by BraindG
they accepted the fact that the 1mm hole was insuficcient to allow suffiecient oil flow in, and out fo the tappets.. they now have one with a 3mm hole, which allows plenty oil to move freely, thus reducing the tapity tap noise you hear..

With skillful use of a bench drill, can the 1mm tappets be widened to three?:Ponder:

zedy1
10-11-2003, 12:55 AM
no dont think u could do that
we still dont know which hole it is

Darren
10-11-2003, 12:59 AM
http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?s=&time=&postid=4404
Tell you what Kieran, if you can drill 24 of these thing right, you're better man than I. :D

zedy1
10-11-2003, 01:03 AM
seen that link b4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (e ned to confirm this barry) i took mine out few days back and they have the 3mm hole but were still tappy,barrys old ones were the same, havent seen the new ones

Kieran
10-11-2003, 08:15 AM
So all in all, drilling's probably out then:D

Roadrunner
10-11-2003, 09:29 AM
I asked my dealer if their replacement would be covered under warranty and he said "no" :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

BraindG
10-11-2003, 10:24 AM
you sure its the hole at the top?.. got a funny feeling it could be the hole at the side?...

hmmm... Mo, you got the ones with the 3mm hole?
i can take a few pictures of mine, well the old ones that came out.