PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostics report

BraindG
10-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Right, I got a call back from Mitsubishi regarding the diagnostics..

unfortunately they are unable to access it using both their UK spec Rom Packs, and a Jap one.. It just wont "connect".... he tried resetting ECU, plugging in the machine, and starting ignition.. however this failed miserably aswell.. :bang:

What i can say is that on sat morning, i plugged the battery back in after leaving it charging the previous night.. on the off chance i tried starting the car INSERT INTO post VALUES (you never know).. and low and behold it started.. until of course i put my foot on the accelerator.. then it died, and went back to turning over again...

so, the facts.. i know my ECU has been flashed with a UK spec ROM pack, because when i had my differential issues i took it to another Mitsubishi garage to check out the AYC, which involves resetting something on the ECU - and i remember them telling me that they downloaded and flashed it with a new ROM pack...

Tonight after work im going to the garage to retrieve the ECU.. and my hero Mo is coming round so that we can plug it into his, and see what happens.. at least this way we can eliminate something, or hopefully pinpoint something...

anyway.. the point is.. anyone got any ideas? suggestion, no matter how obscure INSERT INTO post VALUES (within reason) that perhaps could be a cause for the ECU shutting down? INSERT INTO post VALUES (bar it being screwed due to a power spike)

Nick VR4
10-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Sorry to hear this Barry :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

When you say the AYC ECU did they upgrade the other ECU ?

As the AYC ECU is separate from the main ECU

I'm guessing but I say you have cooked the ECU
The car may well start but as soon as you hit the throttle it doesn't know what to do

It this is true putting it in Mo's car will abviously show this

BraindG
10-11-2003, 02:41 PM
oh, i didn't realise the AYC was in a different ECU.
so, that's what the other box is under the dash?

yeah.. well hopefully Mo's car wont start when i put my ECU in it..

are they fairly sensitive then?

Kieran
10-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Regarding the ECU being trashed, with what knowledge I have of EPROMS, I'd say the ECU's probably OK on the basis that you can get it to start, but that a power spike or some other incident may have corrupted *some* of the data on the chip - it's possible that the ECU can cope with idle INSERT INTO post VALUES (or that the idle data is on a separate ROM chip) but that the fuel mapping data for anything other than that is toasted.

Your ECU has been flashed with a UK-Spec ROM pack....? Hmmm..... OK, it's ran in the past, but if it were mine....:Ponder: It's a possibility!:confused:

What else could be causing an ECU kill?.....Hmmm...

Is one of your sensors / multiplugs plugged in back to front?.... This could be causing a short circuit or sending current down the wrong set of pins, forcing a shutdown?
Is there a faulty earth somewhere?
Is one of the sensors INSERT INTO post VALUES (throttle position or MAP I'd guess at) goosed?? Most cars will start and drive with a sensor or two that's *totally* dead, but a malfunctioning one MAY be sending absolute rubbish back to the ECU and crashing it? - You could troubleshoot by disconnecting some sensors - This will force the ECU will switch to 'Limp Home' mode and use a default set of data for fuel mapping calculations. Maybe disconnecting some sensors will help diagnosis?

BraindG
10-11-2003, 10:20 PM
well, super mo was round earlier... i plugged my ECU into his car, and it started and revved up toabout 6k without any problems.. so, we know one thing.. it works.. atleast enough to start the car....

so.it could be something shutting it down, so i need to investigate this further.. so back to the drawing boards,, check all connections.. then pressure and timing again.. :cry2:

BraindG
10-11-2003, 10:32 PM
regarding the electrics on the VR4... they run of pulses yeah?... so a double pulse would ean somethign different to a triple pulse?... can anyone clarify how the electrics work? Mo mentioned something a while ago about it.

zedy1
10-11-2003, 10:47 PM
okay we could try to put a direct feed to the fuel pump b4 we start it. regarding the first start it could be that the ecu shuts the engine down and reset it self later, i know the honda accoed have a simlar fault

calum
11-11-2003, 12:31 AM
Sounds like the air flow meter to me. Check very carefully all connections to do with the air flow meter, that no wires have been trapped, nipped, screwed through or clamped. Take the air flow meter off, make sure all the connections on the plug are OK, spray them with WD40, and replace carefully. Check the plugs at both ends - ecu and air flow meter.

Cheers,

Calum

calum
11-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Meant to say - I'm not guessing. From your description it sounds like many other cars that I have seen that have not had the afm properly connected, or it has been damaged in some way.

Some will start and even run very badly INSERT INTO post VALUES (but barely driveable); others will barely start.

Calum

Spirit
11-11-2003, 03:38 AM
Had that the other day with mine - put my heatshield on and forgot to plug the AFM back in. They car started fine and ticked over fine but the engine management light was on which scared the sh*t out of me until I realised what I had done :D

Kieran
11-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by spirit979
...They car started fine and ticked over fine but the engine management light was on which scared the sh*t out of me until I realised what I had done :D

I hate it when that happens.... Time seems to come to a grinding halt and you don't half feel the panic set in!!:eek::nono:

Spirit
11-11-2003, 08:56 AM
Your not wrong there Kieran mate - what I forgot to say was it took a good 5 minutes to realise what had happened and by that time my underwear needed changing :D

zedy1
11-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Your not wrong there Kieran mate - what I forgot to say was it took a good 5 minutes to realise what had happened and by that time my underwear needed changing :D

:lolz: im quite sure if the afm is disconnected the car should still run

Brind
11-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Not the same league but still the same problem, my first car was a Sierra 1.8LX and I was alsways messing with it, I had removed the airflow sensor for some reason or another and couldn't start it either.
Back in the days, I also tried force feeding the intake with a compressor, just open a crack to see if I could gain power and easily stalled it every time but you need to try these things to find out what they'd do. :cool:

Goodluck anyway.

Kieran
11-11-2003, 11:33 PM

:lolz:

zedy1
12-11-2003, 12:50 AM
any news barry

Pizza
13-01-2006, 03:29 AM
What was the outcome of this???

BraindG
13-01-2006, 02:01 PM
i bought a new engine :) - basically, a garage done my timing, messed it up and all the vavles were bent, i thought it was ok, but in the end it wasnt...
#
or you wanting to know outcome of something else covered in this thread?