PDA

View Full Version : Bad news ... looks like terminal engine damage

White Lightning
09-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Well, Andy very kindly came down and had a look at my poorly car with me tonight and we have concluded that there is indeed a problem with the bottom end of the engine. Possible big end bearing(s) gone. :sick:

We won't know for sure what the problem is until the engine is completely stripped but it does look like low oil pressure was the cause of the problem on the track at Donington. So, the plan now is to try and get another engine to get the car back on the road. Then, as when time permits, my engine can be stripped to diagnose what the problem is.

So now the hunt begins for a new engine :bigcry:

Nick VR4
09-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Noooooooo sorry to hear this hope you find a engine soon

Funkstar
09-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Oh man that sucks. Sorry to hear this. Think SuperMo is needed.

Best of luck sorting it all.

richy rich
09-10-2006, 09:35 PM
/JawDroppi :thumbsdow :skull: /wall /Hissy :furious3: for you wayne

sorry to here this wayne from lorr and I

SGHOM
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
So now the hunt begins for a new engine :bigcry:

Mo................ MO ??

[ get me one whilst you're there ! ]

Nutter_John
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
bad news dude , if you have no joy give me a shout i may know of a bottom end or a full engine ;)

zedy1
09-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Sorry to hear it is the engine, let me know Wayne if i could be of any help?

HJM
09-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Oh Wayne, that really is bad news - I was so hoping it would be something much more simple than that :(

Good luck in sourcing whatever you need to get it sorted.

J&H

conaboy
09-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Know the feeling mate /help

Had terminal engine damage a few months ago, luckily SuperMo came to the rescue:pimp2:

Hope you got yours sorted

Alex
09-10-2006, 09:48 PM
So sorry to hear that mate. Best of luck in what ever you decide to do next.

White Lightning
09-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I did fear the worst when I first heard the noise at Japfest - as the only other time I had heard this kind of noise before was when the bottom end went on a Rover 220 Turbo :uhoh2:

Mo - I may be in touch mate. I've got one possible source for a low mileage engine that I am going to try first. I'll let you know.

OSiRiS
09-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I did fear the worst when I first heard the noise at Japfest - as the only other time I had heard this kind of noise before was when the bottom end went on a Rover 220 Turbo :uhoh2:

What did this noise sound like exactly?

White Lightning
09-10-2006, 10:07 PM
What did this noise sound like exactly?

It's a very harsh, deep, clanging noise. Difficult to explain but sounds really bad :sick:

It's only really there when you rev the engine up a little. Although you can here it a little at idle.

Some of the guys heard it at Japfest ...

psbarham
09-10-2006, 10:09 PM
sh!t thats bad news , i hope you can get a new engine cheap

OSiRiS
09-10-2006, 10:11 PM
It's a very harsh, deep, clanging noise. Difficult to explain but sounds really bad :sick:

It's only really there when you rev the engine up a little. Although you can here it a little at idle.

Some of the guys heard it at Japfest ...

I've got a little rattle in my engine bay somewhere. Never noticed it before. Haven't done anything beforehand for it to make this noise -thse noise sounds like a twin plate clutch rattle. If you've ever heard that before.

Someone has suggested maybe a belt? Pulley? or Tensioner? I had all these replaced less than 10,000km ago by Mitsubishi.

Is this the same noise?

Wodjno
09-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Thats bad news Wayne :stars: SorRY to here it.. Hope you get sorted quickly and cheaplyish /yes

White Lightning
09-10-2006, 10:30 PM
I've got a little rattle in my engine bay somewhere. Never noticed it before. Haven't done anything beforehand for it to make this noise -thse noise sounds like a twin plate clutch rattle. If you've ever heard that before.

Someone has suggested maybe a belt? Pulley? or Tensioner? I had all these replaced less than 10,000km ago by Mitsubishi.

Is this the same noise?

Wouldn't have thought so mate - this ain't no little rattle :bigcry:

vr4moose
09-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey buddy sorry, i got your email about the deal on brakes, thats poor timing. will ask the guy what we do about other parts and he mite get a new buyer. if we see owt will mail you. mike.

Spirit
10-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Damn, bad news that mate :uhoh2: ! How did Kate take the news ?

Let's hope you can lay your hands on that low mileage engine and take it from there.......I guess the brakes are off the list for now ?

White Lightning
10-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Damn, bad news that mate :uhoh2: ! How did Kate take the news ?

Let's hope you can lay your hands on that low mileage engine and take it from there.......I guess the brakes are off the list for now ?

Kate was ok. It's just one of those things. I just seem to have bad luck with cars... :uhoh2:

Yes, the brakes are off the list. In fact, the list has been torn up, caught on fire and thrown in the bin /wall

Spirit
10-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Opps.......:embarasse

I have a nice long list of stuff to do over the winter too........damn these VR4's /lol

Brunty
10-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear it Wayne - no-one ever said running a VR4 was straightforward! Hope it doesn't prove too expensive.

Paul Beazer
10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Mo - I may be in touch mate. I've got one possible source for a low mileage engine that I am going to try first. I'll let you know.
The one out of Pete's VR4???!

Hope you get it sorted.

BraindG
10-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Meh, Wayne that sucks :( - all the best in sorting it!

Spirit
10-10-2006, 01:25 PM
The one out of Pete's VR4???!

Oi you.......get back to work :vogel: /lol

WildCards
10-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Kate was ok. It's just one of those things. I just seem to have bad luck with cars... :uhoh2:

Yes, the brakes are off the list. In fact, the list has been torn up, caught on fire and thrown in the bin /wall

Someone mention fire?

Sorry to hear this Wayne, bad news indeed. Although I may have an engine available if you've got a working loom mate. If/when I buy the car back I'll post on here, I don't 'think' anyone has asked for it as yet.

OSiRiS
11-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Wouldn't have thought so mate - this ain't no little rattle :bigcry:

Sorry for being off topic, got my rattle sorted. It was simply a bolt holding the power steering pump onto the engine, where it had losend itself to the point where it was touching the pulley hence the rattling sound.

Thanks anyway and all the best :dizzy2: :)