PDA

View Full Version : Pilot HID Kits........just £125 !

Spirit
10-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Just struck off one of my winter "to do" list, by ordering this kit. Kev has this exact kit fitted to his and recommends the quality. Bargain price to from this supplier.....just £125 "Buy It Now" plus £10 P+P.......these kits have been known to sell for £175 to £225 !

Grab one while you can: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PILOT-H1-H3-H4-H7-9005-9006-XENON-HID-CONV-KIT-HELLA_W0QQitemZ290037647611QQihZ019QQcategoryZ9895 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have ordered the 8000k ones, crystal blue.

In fact here's an old auction from the same guy when they were £154 + £8 P+P: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8070788938

scc
10-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Also check if the HID bulbs are legal. I failed my MOT because the 'beam pattern' was wrong, they produced a big splodge rather than the required 'sloping' beam.

Mine were 6000K giving off a bluey colour which made things fairly difficult to see at night compared to the filament 'yellow' light.

scc

Spirit
11-10-2006, 12:08 AM
This HID Kit is available in 7 colors:

3000K - Golden Yellow

4300K - Bright White

6000K - Crystal White

8000K - Crystal Blue

10000K - Aqua Blue

12000K - Purple-Blue

14000K - Purple

mart0398
11-10-2006, 07:35 PM
How do you go about fitting these into the headlights? Do you have to do any mods to the housing, or do they just fit in instead of the normal lamps? I have herd of people having to mod the housing where the normal H7 lamp sits, and make adaptors out of old lamp bases etc. I wouldnt want to do anything un-reversable to the headlights.

Roadrunner
11-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks Pete! Good spot. I've just ordered a 6000K Crystal White pair.

Cheers :)
Brian

Spirit
16-10-2006, 10:43 PM
HID's are fitted and working :2thumbsup

uploaded/2/1161034898.jpg

And here's a pic down a very dark lane:

uploaded/2/1161034936.jpg

BraindG
16-10-2006, 10:57 PM
fantastic Pete! :2thumbsup Looking gooooood! :afro: :pimp2:

pezza
17-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Looks good mate! :2thumbsup

Yup tis really a worthwhile mod, (very near the top of my list of faves)
and not just for the looks etc..

I really struggled with the standard setup and the HIDs really showed this once
installed.

Would be cool to have four HID bulbs across the front for that real GET OUT MY WAY
look.. :D

BraindG
17-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Would be cool to have four HID bulbs across the front for that real GET OUT MY WAY
look.. :D

Slight Hijack.. But this reminds me of my boyracer days in the highlands. Cos of the Deer and Sheep most of us had 4 spotlights on the car, 2 pointing up the verge to catch eyes, and two pointing forwards for distance.

The standard bulbs were removed, and replaced with 100w ones, meaning on dip it was nearly as bright as normal full beam :) - anyways, a car would be coming towards you, and would flash, suggesting i turn off full beam.... heheh.. so i flashed them with 6 x 100w :D - i could see the back of their eyeballs. Always loved doing that :)

k, sorry... back on track

Wouter
17-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi, just some info....

I can get my hands on "Good Quality" HID kits for £110 but they have the 6000K - Crystal White bulbs. My supplier explained that the he has good info stating that all other bulb types will be outlawed.

And if you really want it, he can get cheap sets for £90

Spirit
17-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Brian

FYI I forgot to mention. Kev said something about chopping approx 10mm off the holder or something to get them to fit so the metal clip holds them in place. Other than that it's easy to fit them. Give him a call if you need to.

Roadrunner
17-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Cheers Pete,

I'm getting mine fitted today. I'll pass on the info ... :)

Missbitchy
17-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Thats the Xmas pressy I didn't know I wanted!!!!!:thinking:

:iloveyou:

Spirit
17-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Thats the Xmas pressy I didn't know I wanted!!!!!:thinking:

I know, it's amazing how thoughtful I am sometimes /pan

Roadrunner
18-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Cheers Pete,

I'm getting mine fitted today. I'll pass on the info ... :)
Edit: Decided to go the whole hog and just ordered an H1 set as well today, so will get both kits fitted sometime in the next week :)

Spirit
18-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Nice one Brian......should look awesome :2thumbsup

mart0398
19-10-2006, 11:59 PM
I have one of those kits fitted now, but am having real trouble getting the right beam pattern. I took the car into work today and the chap in the garage had a go at adjusting them with the beam setter, but still no good.

Did either of you make a spacer to fit behind the lamp, between it and the spring clip, because i had to due to the lamp not being thick enough on its own with out the original plastic mitsi base? If not what did you do?

Thanks

Mart.

scc
20-10-2006, 12:30 AM
I have one of those kits fitted now, but am having real trouble getting the right beam pattern. I took the car into work today and the chap in the garage had a go at adjusting them with the beam setter, but still no good.

Be good to let us know if you solve this problem. I've got the very same problem.

Did either of you make a spacer to fit behind the lamp, between it and the spring clip, because i had to due to the lamp not being thick enough on its own with out the original plastic mitsi base? If not what did you do?

I used the spacers provided that fit tightly behind the lamp, but I had to cut them into shape to fit the recess in the housing.

Cheers,
scc

I-S
24-10-2006, 12:34 PM
You won't be able to get the beam right.

The reason is that the HID light source is an arc of quite different dimensions to the filament of the original bulb. The reflector optics are designed around the filament of the bulb quite specifically placed within the reflector, and the HID arc will always be different, no matter how you place it.

I was looking at building a projector setup to replace the reflector in the existing housing, but it is quite tricky finding a projector lens small enough. I believe that a projector setup is not so demanding on the light source position because it's the lens and cut-off screen that dictates the beam pattern.

I-S
24-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Here's what I was looking for: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Seems I was wrong about the projectors too....

mart0398
24-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Never mind, I will keep playing with my kit until I get board, or the rozzers pull me over and tell me to change them.

I have found a very interesting site though:

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/index.html

They have some pictures and info about retrofitting projector units.

I am going to see what difference shielding the lamp and painting the end of it makes.

Roadrunner
01-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Would be cool to have four HID bulbs across the front for that real GET OUT MY WAY look.. :D
Like this?

H7 and H1 HID kits fitted today :D Ooh, these are bright! :happy:

Top Left: 4 HIDs

Top right: 4 HIDs

Middle left: Halogen dip

Middle right: Halogen main

Bottom left: HID dip

Bottom right: HID main (end of the road is 500m away :) )

soapy1978
01-11-2006, 09:27 PM
they look cool one to add to the list of todo jobs

Spirit
02-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Looks excellent Brian....what a difference :2thumbsup

wirdy
04-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Excuse the pun, but I see you guys have finally seen the light!! Makes night-driving a breeze (especially as some of our older members eyes will be getting less good at night :D )

My HIDs are still going strong after nearly three years.

To answer Isaac's point - compared to a filament bulb the HID arc from a standard HID bulb (H2S) is okay horizontally but is 1mm higher in the vertical plane. To get the beam pattern correct (and to satisfy a strict MOT tester / prevent dazzle to oncoming traffic) this has to be corrected by offsetting the bulb by 1mm vertically. There is also no locating ring on a standard HID bulb to prevent rotation, so the bulb has to be held in very tightly.

Of course Mitsubishi are awkward by having a separate bulbholder that plugs onto the bulb and then goes into the headlight ,which has to be removed on conversion and the retaining wire bent to hold the slimmer bulb.

Without seeing the kits you guys have bought, I'd hope that the newer upgrade kits have this offset already built-in and have solved the retaining problem with a proper moulded base that mimics the standard bulb?

£110 is a bargain price BTW. An excellent upgrade.

Kieran
04-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Bloody hell fire, just read this thread and seen the difference!:speechles :speechles

Think that's a very safe way to spend £110 on these cars!:2thumbsup

I-S
07-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Nigel - even if you get it in the "right" place, it still gives the wrong beam pattern because the arc is curved and a quite different shape to the filament of a bulb.

You can clearly see in H7's photos that the beam pattern is way off... the old bulbs have a markedly extended beam into the verge on the left, and strongly cut away at the offside. After the HIDs are put in the beam extends almost as high on the offside as it does on the nearside verge, and that will dazzle oncoming drivers badly.

No argument at all with the effectiveness of the main-beam upgrade and obviously other drivers would be dazzled by main beam anyway. However, I do not think that they are appropriate for dip-beam use.

wirdy
07-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I did all the research before I bought my HID's and knew it would be somewhat of a gamble and that they'd take a lot of setting-up to get a beam pattern that was acceptable to me, but more importantly didn't dazzle oncoming drivers.

It did take me about 4 or 5 nights and about 15 adjustments to get the lights correct (needs a lot of patience). It wasn't just up/down that needed adjusting, it was also left/right that needed some of the peripheral bright spots dialling-out.

If my eyesight is getting worse as I get older then you'll have to forgive me, however I know I can see much better at night with my HID's and this is without dazzling other drivers. You'd have laughed if you'd seen me down a quiet road on my estate with bonnet up and walking backwards / forwards, left/ right at up to 150 feet away bobbing my head up and down into and out of the beam whilst doing these adjustments!!:rolleyes4

ATEOTD I think we'd all admit that according to EU regulations - HID bulbs should not be fitted to halogen headlamps. Those who wish to comply with the EU laws should quite rightly look down upon and scoff at us lowlife law breakers.:evilgrin:

P.S - Cibie do a projector headlight conversion for the 8G - but it's V expensive & ugly as sin.

Roadrunner
07-11-2006, 11:54 PM
You can clearly see in H7's photos that the beam pattern is way off... the old bulbs have a markedly extended beam into the verge on the left, and strongly cut away at the offside. After the HIDs are put in the beam extends almost as high on the offside as it does on the nearside verge, and that will dazzle oncoming drivers badly.
Sorry, but you're wrong there, Isaac. The beam cut-off is exactly the same with the HIDs as it was with the Halogen bulbs, but the light emitted is substantially greater. If I was dazzling oncoming traffic, they'd let me know, and they haven't! I read all the articles before I went ahead with the purchase and, as with a lot of similar things, technical people argue the theory more than the practice. In practice, these lights are awesome even if, in theory, they're supposed not to be ...

I ain't going back to the dark ages ... ;) :p

Spirit
08-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Must admit I have not really had chance to drive ours much at night, however we drove about an hour in the dark to Mallory and no-one flashed me. I also asked Jimbo, Heath etc if they got any dazzle on track when I had them on and they said not.

Roadrunner
10-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Just discovered an added benefit from the HIDs :) They don't produce as much heat as the halogen lamps so, when driving in traffic on wet or damp roads (particularly at this time of year when the gritters are out), the road grime doesn't get baked on to the headlamp glass and the lights stay much cleaner :D

n13l pm
10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Just posting my photos of my HID kit. I installed it a few weeks before this Pilot HID kit theard was posted up. I got them from ebay imported from Hong Kong, it came to £100 after VAT and other taxes I paid at customs.

Unbelievable difference!! £100 Well spent!

uploaded/2949/1163191961.jpg

uploaded/2949/1163191992.jpg

Spirit
15-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Mine passed it's MOT today, so they must have been happy with the beam pattern :2thumbsup

d i c k i e s
30-11-2006, 02:00 AM
very nice indeed both of you.

K9NG
30-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Just bought some of these thanks for the heads up Pete :2thumbsup
Am impressed with the quality of them for the price..

Spirit
30-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey, well done Paul - for which car, the Audi ?

K9NG
30-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Hey, well done Paul - for which car, the Audi ?

I bought them for the Pulsar, the Audi has factory xenons.

pezza
30-11-2006, 12:59 PM
HIDs are def. the way to go! Best non power-up mod I think /yes

Brian, the both H1 and H7 kits??? :pimp2:

Looks good..Am rapidly running out of space to mount stuff in the engine bay??? /help I also wonder how anything survives for more than a week
in there due to heat??? :speechles

Eurospec
30-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Never saw this post before, but i just clicked the e-bay link and realised the supplier is Rice Rocket.

He is very very good, great reputation in the FTO community and if you have a problem with something he supplied he will sort it out. The guys name is David.

I bet he would do a group buy for you if there was interest.

Cheers,

Ben.

Turbo_Steve
18-10-2007, 04:05 PM
You guys who are doing the main beam as well as the dipped, what are you doing about "flashing"? running the HIDs for brief periods of time is supposed to massively shorten their life Whether this is true or not, I don't know.
IIRC, though, Cars with factory HIDs seem to have Halogen main beams, I assume for this reason?

Roadrunner
18-10-2007, 05:41 PM
You guys who are doing the main beam as well as the dipped, what are you doing about "flashing"? running the HIDs for brief periods of time is supposed to massively shorten their life Whether this is true or not, I don't know.
IIRC, though, Cars with factory HIDs seem to have Halogen main beams, I assume for this reason?
Well, I've been using these for nearly a year now with no problems - still on the original lamps. I use the flash (as you do) almost every day, e.g. to signal to other drivers to allow them out of side roads, etc.

I reckon the reason that halogen main beams are used is because it takes around 5 seconds for the HID lamps to warm up to full brightness from cold so you don't get "instant" main beam until you've been on main beam already. Once they're warmed up, they're fine. I've never considered it a problem because the dipped beam is better than most main beams anyway ;) :)

Mark 4
18-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Has anyone got a current link o this supplier ?

Turbo_Steve
20-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Glad they're going well :)
I've definitely seen units that have been used for flashing that have "destabilised", i.e. the colour flickers between blue and pinky white as though it's restriking...not quite settled.

Nice to have HIDs throughout, though......have you (or anyone else) done their fogs? :)

Roadrunner
20-10-2007, 10:46 PM
have you (or anyone else) done their fogs? :)
Nope, never use fog lights - front or rear ;) - never seen the point of them.

Spirit
20-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Has anyone got a current link o this supplier ?

I found his eBay shop but looks like he's stopped selling these now.

You can get them from the USA for $125 + delivery here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PILOT-H4-HI-LOW-6000K-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-HELLA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ015QQit emZ250177392846QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

zentac
21-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Ive recently sold 40 sets of HID's I was selling them at £80 per set and not had a single problem with them. I dont have any more in stock but Dave @RickerocketUK still sells them at the sameprice

www.ricerocketuk.co.uk

Mark 4
21-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Cheers guys :2thumbsup

bernmc
22-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Ive recently sold 40 sets of HID's I was selling them at £80 per set and not had a single problem with them. I dont have any more in stock but Dave @RickerocketUK still sells them at the sameprice

www.ricerocketuk.co.uk (http://www.ricerocketuk.co.uk)

I've got a set of these - no problems so far.

rees
22-10-2007, 12:32 PM
HID's are fitted and working :2thumbsup

uploaded/2/1161034898.jpg

And here's a pic down a very dark lane:

uploaded/2/1161034936.jpg

u really ARE keeping it /Hissy :bigcry: /Hissy:bigcry: /Hissy