PDA

View Full Version : Fun is over

Plink Plink Fizz
11-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Ok, I have had my 24v V6 estate for three years and have treated it to services galore and driven it hard but am not a stunt driver.

I now have a raft of problems and I can feel an empire state bill in the air....

Engine:
Started to sound like I was smuggling milkmen under the bonnet, checked oil and found it was low. Added oil to slightly above fill line on dipstick which produced a mis-fire followed by huge cloud of smoke when 'clearing the tubes' a bit. /dunce Now wondering if I may have turned the valve seals indside out. I get blue smoke on starting (intermitant), small steel band moved in under bonnet... Maybe followers but sounds ominously lower...

Front end:
I am also the proud owner of warped discs (Large variety) and clicking drive-shafts. This is a 98 S reg car and I am looking for reasonably priced parts / recon service. Any leads?

Any info here would be appreciated.

Axeboy
11-10-2006, 01:27 PM
For Parts, check out Mo.. his advert for Galant Spares can be seen on this site.

Have you tried flushing the old oil and replacing it with some good stuff or just topped it up?

Wodjno
11-10-2006, 01:30 PM
/Banana Also a Great investment of a Menial amount of £20 will achieve you Member status, thus allowing you access to all the Juicy Info that you require

Nick Mann
11-10-2006, 01:43 PM
As said - Mo is the man for spares.

Is it a lash adjuster ticking you can here from the engine? That is a very common problem. Decent oil will help that, many people in this club have tried and recommend Amsoil - there is a discount scheme available for members and its the only oil I have ever recommended to anyone!

I guess valve seals are a possibilty, but I have never seen any to understand the design or the durability. It is not a problem that comes up regularly - in fact I can't remember seeing the problem on the forums before.

Warped discs are a common problem too. Check the sizes - there is a for sale thread selling parts which may help you or may not. The only sure way of checking is to whip off a wheel and measure the disc diameter. (/edit - see here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19344).)

Also search for WRD on this site if you need any work doing that you won't do yourself.

:thumbsup:

Paul Beazer
11-10-2006, 05:37 PM
the smoking doesnt sound good, esp if its a light blue colour, usualy means oil is getting into the combustion chamber. I've not heard of the engines smoking on here (there are a few high milers on here)
Sounds like the lash adjusters "may" be noisy. A good engine flush followed by some good quality synthetic oil (mobil 1, comma etc etc) can work wonders. Also try a hydraulic cam follower treatment in with your new oil, this will help get rid of any cr@p build up in them and quieten them down.
Bit worried about the smoke tho.....
What sort of mileage is the engine?

amsoil
11-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Never heard of valve seals turning themselves inside out, Would doubt if there is the room or that its possible.
If you weren't belching oil before you overfilled the engine then this could well be your problem; happens with many makes of car.
Try a good flush followed by a good real synthetic to get rid of the lifter knock. I would recommend a 5w-40 for the V6. Join the club and get a discount as said above.
Warped discs will need replacing, simple
Can't see an enormous bill in this lot.