PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

ashclose
11-11-2003, 06:24 PM
This may seem like a stupid question, I have just purchased a Legnum VR-4, when I put my foot on the break, the headlights go dim and come back on when I take my foot off the break, is that normal

Thanks for the information, my headlights seem to go out completely, not just dim, until I take my foot of the break, but will check the earth.

Nick VR4
11-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Depending on how dim the lights go yes its normal
I get the same if I'm just idling and put foot on brake pedal front lights dim a little
Dont forget if you have a 99+ VR4 you have 5 brake lights INSERT INTO post VALUES (not sure on the older ones)
2 each side and a middle one

ReggieK
11-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Don't know a great deal about this, but that cannot be right. Ie It shouldn't happen surely.

I can understand how it can happen, power to the brake light reducing power to the fronts, but this isn't something I would have thought would have been an issue in a modern car. Especially with it's engine running generating as much power as either sets of lights should need.

It doesn't happen on my car, well so far as I have noticed.

Hey, but what do I know. :D Not very helpful I know.

Roadrunner
11-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Doesn't happen on mine either. Equally helpful :rolleyes: :D

Seriously though, check your earthing and get your voltage regulator checked.

Brian

Brind
11-11-2003, 09:16 PM
The original earthing on these cars aren't anything spectacular and considering the VR-4 has quite a few bits and bobs I doubt it would take much to hinder the total voltage.
As the car ages the cabling also ages and consequently it gains an increase in resistance which basically stops the a smooth voltage curve to pass to all the demanding electrical componets.
Best option would be to supplement the original earth wiring so each major component has an easy negative/earth electrical path.

Some members here have already upgraded their earths and claim smoother idle, better radio power supply and smoother gear changes.
I've also done this, with 24 Carat gold plated plugs and a beefy earth terminal block, with four big cables going to various parts in the engine bay, and although I was quite sceptical at first I can confirm the gear changes have improved! so that verifies how inadequate the original earth is, my car is a 99 model too.

If that doesn't cure your problem it could quite easily be your battery, especially if you have a Japanese supplied battery, which are hopelessly small and no good during our winters.

If the problem persists during higher revs, which should give back a healthy power supply from your alternator.. you could have another problem but will be unlikely.

zedy1
11-11-2003, 09:26 PM
OLDER ONE TOO HAVE 5 BRAJ=KE LIGHTS NICK and i dont think this is normal also check battery terminals and give em a good clean

Ultra VR-4
12-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Yeah, my headlights dim when i use my electric windows...

Nick Mann
12-11-2003, 02:34 PM
I drove to work this morning checking it out! INSERT INTO post VALUES (How many of you did the same!)

It is only just noticeable on my car. If it is very noticeable on yours, then maybe you do have a poor earth connection as Brind was suggesting above. Remember that the highest resistance on any cable is at the connections, so check these for corrosion etc before you do anything else. If the lights are not dimming much then you are probably in the same boat as many of us and ought to consider uprating the bonding on the car. I am after what Brind has said!

Either way, happy motoring! ;)

Brind
12-11-2003, 08:10 PM
To give you an idea of the extra bonding I've posted a picture for you to see.
The red badly drawn circles are the 24 carat gold plugs.
I wanted to use one plug to connect to the side of the alternator but didn't have enough cable so I may change that later but never the less it has appeared to have help out.

The plugs are 24carat gold plated and cost about £3 each from Maplins, I've got 4 of.
The battery terminal cost about £7 I think, again from Maplins.
The battery terminal cover was £2 I thnk.
The cable is 16mm in size and is stranded hard wire used for your main incoming house supply, it only cost £2 for 4 metres compared to stupidly high priced audio power cable, it's stiff so it can also stay in any shape you want and pretty much stay there, the cable is not in any harm of breaking due to hardly any movement.

All in all an easy mod that also looks good and purposeful.

Brind
12-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Ooops forgot the picture.. :D

zedy1
12-11-2003, 10:24 PM
looks cool ive been thinking of doing it myself

Brind
12-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Here's the one at the back, you can see the connector better.

zedy1
12-11-2003, 10:44 PM
did you clean the contacting metal

Kieran
12-11-2003, 10:45 PM
I take it the earth cables run straight back to the battery?

Brind
12-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Yep all connections were cleaned, that one is sittin up on a couple of washers too as the shape of the connector and the bracket didn't like each other but the original earth is sitting on top of the new one which is getting a nice path back to the battery anyway.

All earth points are directly connected to the negative earth clamp.

The gold crap is really for show but the cable fits in them a treat and the two go together with a simple allen screw.

Roadrunner
13-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Pictures of the grounding kit I fitted here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) ...

Brian

zedy1
13-11-2003, 08:25 PM
thats abit expensive $205 for abit of wire im going to make mine too like mark has done

colVR4
14-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Is this earthing issue a problem with all Galants, not just the VR-4? If so I wouldn't mind trying it out with my V6 Sport. I think I have managed to get all the details of what I need. Solid gold connectors, some wire, and a spanner!! :Ponder:

zedy1
14-11-2003, 10:26 AM
i tink it would be most japenese car have i slim earth cable going to the body and the gearbox bolt near the starter

Brind
14-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Japanses manufacturers tend to use tiny batteries as larger ones simply aren't needed in their climates so I'd guess if they can get away with a puny battery their wireing doesn't have to be all that great either.
But having said that, when I cut the original connector of the negative lead it was alot bigger than I had realised!!! and actually filled one of the larger holes! which I thought it could have fitted into one of the smaller holes.

The negative/earth connector I used is that used for ICE and has 2 holes for 4Gauge which is about 25mm and 2 for 8Gauge which is for 10mm.
The original earth wire uses one of the larger holes to itself and the cables I have which are 16mm in size fit in each of the 8G holes more than happily, the remaining 4G hole holds 2 of my 16mm cables happily.
I'll take a picture in a minute.

Brind
14-11-2003, 11:13 PM

Brind
14-11-2003, 11:13 PM

the_boy
14-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Brind, that is one clean engine bay and contacts etc......

Respect :cool1:

Brind
14-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Cheers mate. :cool:

If you want to see one abnormally clean take a look at Pete's INSERT INTO post VALUES (Spirit's) car.:D

zedy1
14-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Brind
Cheers mate. :cool:

If you want to see one abnormally clean take a look at Pete's INSERT INTO post VALUES (Spirit's) car.:D

spent all day again tidying mine up

:D

Brind
15-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Where is the pictures of your engine bay mate?

Have you fixed the problems yet? I'd love to see under the bonnet, didn't get chance at Pod.

the_boy
15-11-2003, 12:21 AM
Must have lost the post that said Sad Mother*****r! :D

Nope, it takes someone who appreciates their car a lot to keep an engine bay that clean
Do you take this sort of vigour into cleaning the house?

Your missus must love you :kissy3:

zedy1
15-11-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Brind
Where is the pictures of your engine bay mate?

Have you fixed the problems yet? I'd love to see under the bonnet, didn't get chance at Pod.
99% sorted arond 3 weeks ago will take pics tommorow

Brind
15-11-2003, 12:27 AM
I did erm.. polish and wax the painted bits under the bonnet, and it's surprising what you can do with that Back to Black bumper spray stuff on your hoses etc.

Before the day of Pod I hadn't washed the car in a couple of months at least.. since Pod... the car hasn't been cleaned.
Luckily it is one of those colours that seem to look clean after being rained on. :D :D good enough me.

Brind
15-11-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by zedy1
99% sorted arond 3 weeks ago will take pics tommorow

:cool: