PDA

View Full Version : whos on line with pc knowhow i need help now

soapy1978
13-10-2006, 09:06 PM
help pm pm me a email messenger addy so i chat chat as pc crashed and cant get on line on partner pc been trying for 2 hours with no joy /help /help /help /help

ANTHONY
13-10-2006, 09:09 PM
are you using XP

soapy1978
13-10-2006, 09:14 PM
are you using XP

yes got wireless for my lappy but pc hard wired but not logging on

ANTHONY
13-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Have You Looked In Network Conections To See If The Local Area Conection Is Not Disabled. If It Is Right Click On It And Enable It

Slimshady
14-10-2006, 12:03 AM
yes got wireless for my lappy but pc hard wired but not logging on

Ok 1st thing to try is a 3 pin reset on the router (unplug it from the wall – wait 10 seconds and plug it back in)

If this fails – open internet explorer and type 192.168.1.1 (should be the default address of the router) if this works a login box will appear – type Admin then Admin (UN / PWD) – some routers vary the password may be blank or it may be lowercase – if you have documents I advise you find out the IP / UN & PWD

Once in look for changes to the system – pay particular interest to the firewall settings and if you have installed any internet games recently look at the settings. They can screw up the internal network.

If all else fails you will find a small reset button on the back of the router – only press this button if all else fails – note you will need all of the dial up settings and access to the router, only use this if all has failed.

Do not take my advice and reset the router unless you can access it by default (you know the IP address UN and PWD).

This is a tricky situation – if you have any problems let me know

Slim

soapy1978
14-10-2006, 01:42 AM
hi guys thank's for the replys

i was on the phone to wouter for about a hour try lots of thing but still had no joy so i got caled out to work so oping to have another go at it then

it looks like the pc is to fought as i pluggged the lappy in to the router and it all works fine so it looks like own loading nortons antivirushas messed the pc up as it is not getting a ip back to the sytem to open the internet server we pinged it few times and all looked fine then tried the internet and nothing so going to try again tomorrow

darren

ANTHONY
14-10-2006, 10:04 AM
try doing a sysyem restore back to the date all was working ok

soapy1978
14-10-2006, 07:00 PM
try doing a sysyem restore back to the date all was working ok

tried that four times and nothing changes on the restore so i going down the line of delateing all the bt soft wear and reinstalling and see what i get from that.

darren

Nick VR4
14-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Check that Norton is not blocking web access

ANTHONY
14-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Check that Norton is not blocking web accessor disable norton and see if that works

soapy1978
14-10-2006, 08:48 PM
or disable norton and see if that works

i have deleted nortons now so everything should of gon gone back to normal but it still not working i am getting ready to throw the thng out the door into the gutter

darren

ritch_w
14-10-2006, 10:04 PM
hi soapy

is the pc recieveing an IP address from the router (DHCP?) open a dos window and type ipconfig to confirm

does ipconfig /all give a valid ip for dns etc?

if u type in an ip address for a website does it come up? eg http://209.73.186.238/ (for yahoo.com)

can it ping the router?

ANTHONY
14-10-2006, 10:09 PM
am i right in thinking that you can hard wire you laptop ok to the router, but not your tower. if so then its not a problem with the router but with the pc.

soapy1978
14-10-2006, 10:13 PM
hi soapy

is the pc recieveing an IP address from the router (DHCP?) open a dos window and type ipconfig to confirm

does ipconfig /all give a valid ip for dns etc?

if u type in an ip address for a website does it come up? eg http://209.73.186.238/ (for yahoo.com)

can it ping the router?

i tried all that last night with wouter andit wasn't having none of it i think the pc has died i goingto get a external hard drive trasfer all the other pics etc on to it and reboot the pc with xp as think it dead

darren

soapy1978
14-10-2006, 10:17 PM
am i right in thinking that you can hard wire you laptop ok to the router, but not your tower. if so then its not a problem with the router but with the pc.

yes you are right in thinking that i turned the wireless off on the lappy and hard wired it in and the lappy worked find and if i plug the tower in hard wire or wireless i have tried and tried bith ways still nothing and if i click on repair network it fouls and saying can not renew ip address

darren

soapy1978
14-10-2006, 10:18 PM
i have even tried to set it up running though my lappy useing the hard wire in my lappy to tower and it still not conecting

darren

ANTHONY
14-10-2006, 10:22 PM
it could be that the ethernet card has died or a dodgy ethernet lead try taking out the card and putting it into another slot.

ritch_w
14-10-2006, 10:26 PM
could be the lan card on the tower?

does it show up ok in hardware devices?
could need removed and reinstalled (make sure u have ur XP cd for the driver if u do delete it / reintsall)
may take a few reboots....

soapy1978
14-10-2006, 10:27 PM
it could be that the ethernet card has died or a dodgy ethernet lead try taking out the card and putting it into another slot.

but i have also got the same problem if i use a wireless usb thingy

so i cant see it being the ethernet card

ritch_w
14-10-2006, 10:57 PM
depends... if your laptop works ok, it has to be either software or hardware related to the tower, either way sounds like comms on the tower, can still be driver related to the architecture for the usb and lan card

are there any yellow question marks on Controm Panel | system | hardware | device manager??
check networks and usb

soapy1978
14-10-2006, 11:09 PM
depends... if your laptop works ok, it has to be either software or hardware related to the tower, either way sounds like comms on the tower, can still be driver related to the architecture for the usb and lan card

are there any yellow question marks on Controm Panel | system | hardware | device manager??
check networks and usb

no yellow ? marks all say it fine when i have it hard wired or wireless the ipconfig /all comes back with ip address of tower and not default gateway

darren

soapy1978
16-10-2006, 12:01 AM
what the going rate for a pc fixer now a days per hour i mean