PDA

View Full Version : Dump valves and auto's - am i stupid?

Mart
16-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi,

Right, i totally understand the principals and reasons behind a dumpvalve/bov, and loved the sound mine made on my last car etc. But what effect does it have on an auto like most vr4's are? surely you don't want to drop boost between gear changes because your foot is down the whole time?

Before i get shouted at, i did do a search for such answers, but to no avail. Do you think i'd ask such a stupid question if i didn't have to?

cheers,

Mart

White Lightning
16-10-2006, 11:46 AM
It will not dump any boost pressure if your foot is kept planted. 'tis as simple as that, I believe. :happy:

Lillywotsername
16-10-2006, 11:54 AM
As far as I know.... it will only dump when you take you foot off the loud peddle and not while its planted. There is loads of peeps on here with autos and bovs so I am sure its fine. But I am sure someone will come along in a bit and give you a more technical answer.:scholar:

Nutter_John
16-10-2006, 11:58 AM
a female giving techie advice :D

And she has it correct :D

Only joking Lilly ;)

Nick Mann
16-10-2006, 12:03 PM
As stated, the BOV will not vent between gear changes if you keep you foot planted. An aftermarket unit should be less leaky than the standard item (which is renowned for being a bit pants!) so should hold boost better. It could give some benefit if you are pressing on in tiptronic and then being a bit on/off the throttle without changing gear. It makes the sound that makes most of us smile!!

To be honest, if I was to go out and buy an aftermarket dump valve now, I would go for one that is adjustable between recirc and atmospheric dump.

Hope that helps!

Mart
16-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Fair do's, thats kinda what i thought. I just used to love the noise between high speed gear changes in the Skyline, and thought, there's be little point in an auto, but i guess they still make a difference over stock anyway. Rather than just the nice noise!

Thanks peeps!

Mart

BraindG
16-10-2006, 01:37 PM
a female giving techie advice :D

And she has it correct :D

Only joking Lilly ;)
:afro: WTG hun :iloveyou: