PDA

View Full Version : Help or advice needed Total Brake failure

MyTrustedVR4
18-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi all again!!

I am looking for some help or advice from anyone who might know!

Found this site about a month or so ago when I was researching a brake failure on my '96 Galant VR4.

Thought I had found the answer and that my car was the subject of the ASC safety recall. Its a long story as to how I got to this point so I won't bore you all with the detail, but eventually the car ended up at Poole Car Centre (Mitsubishi Dealer).

Mitsubishi Dealer (Poole Car Centre) has now had the car for about a month and a half. Originally they were suggesting that the car might need a new Master Brake Cylinder but could not be certain that this would rectify the problem.

I found you guys followed a couple of threads on the forums especially
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...ght=asc+recall and called them back and mentioned the Recall notice. Gave them the info and they filled in form and sent it off to Japan for verification.

Last week hadn't heard anything about status etc.. of where we were, so called them up, discovered that they had received 3 boxes of parts from Mitsubishi Japan and there were 3 outstanding recalls or so on my car. They were working through it and doing the work (48 pages of installation instructions ) I of course thought great should only be a matter of time before I get my toy back!!!!

Today, I get a call from Poole Mitzi, all work has been carried out, but its still got the Brake Failure and if they disconnect the Servo (I think thats what he said) The brake pedal is stiff but the brakes work, reconnect the servo and the brakes fail again??? Conclusion, new servo required!!! I ask how much, another heart attack later!! £835 for the part plus fitting /Grrr /help . Of course I then ask will this solve the problem? Answer: Cannot be sure!!??

Sorry this is a bit long but I need help and advice, anyone had to replace a servo??

Any input will be more than helpful

Thanks

ritch_w
18-10-2006, 09:04 PM
your best bet would be source a 2nd hand one to see if that works 1st - get one from Mo (Galant Spares http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=galantspares?1) although i beleive he is away until 6th Nov.

It would also be worthile going through your problems with Mo as he knows these fine cars inside out and could save you alot of money.

MyTrustedVR4
19-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks Rich,

Will send a message to him and try to have a chat.

Poole Mitzi have also gone back to Japan to ask for their take on this one too.

Apparently, Mitzi have not sold a replacement Brake servo for this model for this model over the last 18 months. Well thats what they told me on the fone!!!

GroundControl
19-10-2006, 02:07 AM
This sounds quite similar to a problem I had a year and a bit ago. Mine wasn't total brake failure, but it was far too spongy and not warrantable. The bit about manually activating the servo and it working fine, but not under normal conditions rings a bell with me though.

http://clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10362

Unfortunately it didn't turn out cheap (although if you can source the bits you need yourself you could probably knock down the price somewhat)

ritch_w
19-10-2006, 09:14 AM
u are better to phone Mo, sometimes he doesnt get on here when he's busy

ritch_w
19-10-2006, 09:16 AM
u r better to phone Mo, he doesnt get on here much - especially when he's busy

Axeboy
19-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Is Mo not away for a month?

Also, worth phoning camskill about the part... they can source it much cheaper... but still might be expensive.

MyTrustedVR4
20-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will attempt to contact Mo and perhaps Camskill.

So far I have not heard anything back from Poole Mitzi, so not sure if Japan have actually got back to them with their suggestions.

Will keep you all posted on any developments, but if anyone has any thoughts don't hesitate to pass them on.

SGHOM
20-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will attempt to contact Mo and perhaps Camskill.

Mo [ Zedy1 ] is away until early november .

MyTrustedVR4
20-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks got that message, some people were saying Mo might be away until the beginning of November. Nice to have confirmation.

I am fairly happy to wait until I can speak with Mo before making any decisions. If I have any further contact from Poole Mitzi I have a few more questions I have to ask them, will also pay them a visit.

I hate dealing with stuff like this when I cannot see the car and the items they are talking about.

Thanks once again.

HowieP
05-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Have you got this sorted yet? Mine had just this problem, all the recalls done and still had issues. Eventually had two solenoid valves replaced, they show up on the diagnostics check. Let me know if you want the part numbers. HP.

HowieP
05-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Thought I'd post the part numbers anyway, MR266313 and MD165142. Incidentally I replaced the servo when mine first failed as I had no power assistance as well as the ABS working permanently. This brought back normal braking but only with the ABS fuse disconnected. I have no proof that the servo had actually failed so with the aforementioned "Valve Emission Control Solenoids" costing a more modest £36 and £44 + VAT I know what I would ask the dealer to check first! Apparently these do affect the operation of the ABS and TC causing the new recall-fitted system to go into "failsafe mode". The original system did not, hence total brake failure...If you do need a servo, try Xtreme Autos in Dudley (ex Ralliart UK) as they halved the dealer cost for a genuine part... I don't know if I can give you my phone number without it appearing "in public" but I would be very happy to talk to you if you feel it might be beneficial. HP

Nick Mann
05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Good info there, HP. Top Notch.

Also, to send one person a phone number without the 'public' grabbing it, click on the username of the intended recipient and send a Private Message.

MyTrustedVR4
11-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi and thanks for all your help and suggestions!!

HowieP thanks and I have PM'd you also, thanks for your invaluable input!! I hopefully will chat to you early next week once I have managed to speak with Poole Mitsubishi to establish exactly what the situation is with my car!!

Sorry I have not responded recently to some of your posts, health issues that have had to be dealt with!! and the car has had to take a bit of a backseat!!!

Hopefully soon the issues will be resolved and I fully intend to meet up with you all at some stage in the very near future.

Once again thanks for all your contributions and I will keep you all posted with developments!!

Bill

:book: :2thumbsup

MyTrustedVR4
04-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

Quick update on this little problem!! :inquisiti

Just had the dealer on the phone, questioning why emission control solenoids might resolve this problem. I of course explained that these were just suggestions, which were found to resolve someone elses problems.

Japan, apparently gave them a crude test to do on the Servo, to establish whether that works ok or not. The servo passed this test, but the dealer's mechanics still suggest replacing the servo to rule that out of the equation!! /pan

I questioned the service manager a bit further on the symptoms being displayed by my car, so I could get a bit of a better handle on what the problem is. Apparently, if they disconnect a vacuum pipe going into the Servo, they get back braking, but a very stiff pedal (obviously no power assistance with the aid of the servo), then if they connect the pipe again brakes dissappear again.

Needless to say I am getting a bit frustrated now and confidence is really fading with the dealer, think I will need to get down there and have a face to face with them!!

HowieP, do you mind if I give you a quick call this evening, so we can perhaps swap ideas and experiences? Thanks

Watch this space for next updates /Grrr